Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Got Stillen Gen 3 - Install / Not to install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Got Stillen Gen 3 - Install / Not to install.

so!
I was browsing around, surfing for the next best thing on the internet.

I saw Stillen Gen 3 on eBay, offered and won.

Now I got that in the mail, it looks decent, clean and looks ready to install.

At this time I have K&N drop-ins in my G37 sedan, I am pretty O.K with them.

Thing is, I live in South Florida and the rainy season has started lol. I read that with Stillen Gen 3's shield, I shouldn't have any issue with rain.

My actual concern is, my community gets flooded when it rains hard. I am looking at about 1-foot deep water until a couple of hours after a heavy rain.

Q1: Will I be on a high-risk of Hydro lock?
Q2: Is it useless to install them if I don't get a tune?

I have never had a tune done on my car, its due but I still want to postpone it.

Now, what should I do lol

Inputs, please
Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

>_> no one? that's odd lol
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I'd say it's high enough up to where you won't have to worry. If you're flooded that high then you have bigger problems. Install it.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Like Neal said, if there's water about to submerge your radiator you might as well prepare yourself for a new car let alone a new engine. Our CAI locations aren't even that low. My Mazda's was down behind the fog light and I never was worried about hydro locking. Just had to be conscious about it. Not the case with these cars. A common misconception with hydrolocking is the smallest amount of water will be your demise. This isn't the case. Your filter needs to be damn near submerged for that to happen. Some might claim they did or know someone who had it happen but I'm calling BS.

Also, The shield/guard Stillen sends is used to regulate the air or baffle the air to my understanding. It doesn't prevent water from entering.

CAIs isn't worthless per se. You probably gained some horses but you'll never optimize it unless you get some more supporting mods and then tune everything. I would never spend money to tune a car that just had a CAI though.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Like Neal said, if there's water about to submerge your radiator you might as well prepare yourself for a new car let alone a new engine. Our CAI locations aren't even that low. My Mazda's was down behind the fog light and I never was worried about hydro locking. Just had to be conscious about it. Not the case with these cars. A common misconception with hydrolocking is the smallest amount of water will be your demise. This isn't the case. Your filter needs to be damn near submerged for that to happen. Some might claim they did or know someone who had it happen but I'm calling BS.

Also, The shield/guard Stillen sends is used to regulate the air or baffle the air to my understanding. It doesn't prevent water from entering.

CAIs isn't worthless per se. You probably gained some horses but you'll never optimize it unless you get some more supporting mods and then tune everything. I would never spend money to tune a car that just had a CAI though.
thanks for the input!

I have Ark grip exhaust with stock cats. If I install the CAI, it will be an update to my K&N drop ins. I think at that point, tuning is due.

I checked yesterday when it flooded again, the water is like 1/2 foot deep. I think at the highest point it submerges the sidewalk or parking block.

My thing is, when I drive through it, I create waves lol. just too worried about this hydro lock issue :/ maybe I'm stressing it too much.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Agreed. Sure, even without a tune you'll pick up some horses with your CAI and you'll get even more out of it with a tune but wait until you're done with all of your performance upgrades before you get it tuned to achieve maximum performance. Unless you don't mind spending several hundreds of dollars to get it done more than once
Old 06-08-2017, 02:36 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by main_shoby
thanks for the input!

I have Ark grip exhaust with stock cats. If I install the CAI, it will be an update to my K&N drop ins. I think at that point, tuning is due.

I checked yesterday when it flooded again, the water is like 1/2 foot deep. I think at the highest point it submerges the sidewalk or parking block.

My thing is, when I drive through it, I create waves lol. just too worried about this hydro lock issue :/ maybe I'm stressing it too much.
I mean, it makes sense for those driving through puddles and car washes but in your case it wont make or break you. If I was you, I'd go with the SRI. The gains are really negligible (2-4 HP) and you have peace of mind.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

I mean, it makes sense for those driving through puddles and car washes but in your case it wont make or break you. If I was you, I'd go with the SRI. The gains are really negligible (2-4 HP) and you have peace of mind.
2-4 hp difference long tube vs short ram?
my cousin is recommending me R2C / K&N short rams too.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:48 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

R2Cs are very nice man. I think they look the best in all honesty. With a tune, the difference in HP will probably be negligible and you get peace of mind.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Anything that's not completely enclosed and sitting inside an engine bay is not a true cold air intake. Smooths the airflow, maybe, but makes very little difference other than noise. Honestly, the stock airbox is a very good design, if a bit ugly. They draw air from the closed off radiator section in the front of the car, off to the sides. You'll see them if you choose to install the Stillens.

The Stillens sit pretty far up - even with my lowered car they're well over 1 1/2 feet (if not 2) from the ground, as they sit pretty much directly behind the grille area.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:58 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Plus, I like being able to see the tubing and filters behind the grill
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
tpratch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey if you change your mind, I'm guessing you will have no problem dumping the Stillen Gen3s
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tpratch
Hey if you change your mind, I'm guessing you will have no problem dumping the Stillen Gen3s
already did lol, sold it locally for 290 ~ not too bad.