Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

G37 straight pipe thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 PM
MtmG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 straight pipe thoughts

Alright so i recently had 2.5 in. piping installed with berk test pipes on my g37 vert. wanted to give my opinion about it just incase anyone was thinking about doing this.

exactly what was done is, berk test pipes and 2.5in pipes straight to the end.

this in itself was awful. the car was incredibly loud.. music on full blast couldnt block the sound.. it had a very deep idle and sounded like a fart can when given gas..

went the day after to have resonators installed.. a lot better than straight, still sounds like a fart can on occasion. and rasp is intense during 2.5k+ rpm.. had 12in magnaflows installed.

im now considering getting mufflers installed as a last attempt to fix the problem and if all else fails, i will be getting rid of them and getting ARKS Or Stillen CBE.

i just wanted to let people know straight piping a g37 or 370z will be the worst decision you make.. unless you like the fart can sound.

as for power gains, the butt dyno tingles with bits of joy. but it might just be all the rasp. seriously it does feel a little faster but not a crazy amount. im not tuned and will see what a dyno and tune tells me, should be getting it done in a month or two.

ill post a video of the sound as well. but it will have to wait till tomorrow. dont want my neighbors complaining
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
While installing a custom exhaust on our Sentra SE-R LeMons race car, we briefly ran it in the shop with a straight pipe. It was stupid loud. We ended up welding the stock resonator to the end and it worked well except for the step down in diameter.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Straight piping any car with test pipes is almost as loud as open headers. If you're getting test pipes and you don't have mufflers, for the love of your neighbors get resonated ones. There's also no reason to remove your stock resonators, neither for performance nor sound. My muffler delete wasn't too bad in terms of loudness, but once I threw in resonated test pipes it became obnoxious. These types of exhaust setups only sound good screaming at 4.5k to redline. For daily driving, it is obnoxious and you become self-concious of your shifts. Either straight pipe with resonators and keep your cats or get test pipes with an axleback.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:53 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here are some sound clips of mine

Outside bouncing off redline

In the cabin
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Put some mufflers on that and get a set of art pipes. You wil love the sound, not raspy. I have ark grip paired with art pipes on my sedan and rarely listen to music anymore it sounds so good.