Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Berk High Flow Cats.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Zsaltzman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Berk High Flow Cats.

Getting my HFCs in the mail today. Does anyone have a link to a forum post for the installation? I just want to make sure i grab all the tools ill need before i get home. Also if anyone has done this at home, did you have a second person helping, or is it necessary?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Plenty of youtube videos on how to do this. Have a good amount of ratchet extensions and a good breaker bar. I cannot stress this enough: REMOVE THE O2 SENSORS FIRST!!!!!! Get couple cans of PB Blaster, soak all bolts overnight.

The following users liked this post:
VQpoppa (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Believe Brad has one:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...y-be-atch.html

For test pipes but same thing
Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM
el_donks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
When you install HFC's, be sure to use either anti-foulers or stuff a 1"x1" square of steel wool in the o2 ports (before you put the sensors back in). Also, make sure you do not over-torque anything (especially to the manifold) and that the gaskets are lined up/sealed properly.

I had a technician friend install my converters a few months ago. They were fine for a while then threw a code. Cleared the code, it came back. Had the car tuned, thinking the ECU would then adapt. Code came back a week after. We replaced the o2 sensor itself, it was fine for a week or two, and now the code is back. Either the converter is defective or my technician goofed something. Hopefully, he'll have a proper/full diagnostic by the end of today. I need to pass inspection this month

Point is, take as many precautions as possible to hopefully avoid any check engine codes.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by el_donks
When you install HFC's, be sure to use either anti-foulers or stuff a 1"x1" square of steel wool in the o2 ports (before you put the sensors back in). Also, make sure you do not over-torque anything (especially to the manifold) and that the gaskets are lined up/sealed properly.

I had a technician friend install my converters a few months ago. They were fine for a while then threw a code. Cleared the code, it came back. Had the car tuned, thinking the ECU would then adapt. Code came back a week after. We replaced the o2 sensor itself, it was fine for a week or two, and now the code is back. Either the converter is defective or my technician goofed something. Hopefully, he'll have a proper/full diagnostic by the end of today. I need to pass inspection this month

Point is, take as many precautions as possible to hopefully avoid any check engine codes.

What year do you have? I've heard of this on the 2013s
Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Mer
Have a good amount of ratchet extensions and a good breaker bar. I cannot stress this enough: REMOVE THE O2 SENSORS FIRST!!!!!! Get couple cans of PB Blaster, soak all bolts overnight.
All of this is right. Like you may have heard, there is at least 1 bolt that can be extremely difficult to get off. When I had mine done, 2 of my 02 sensors went bad due to the air gun vibrations.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
the shop I'm considering doing mine at said you can get a tune/reflash that is an "o2" delete and won't throw codes if the sensors are removed so they just plug the holes and call it a day.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
el_donks

Originally Posted by Tachyon
What year do you have? I've heard of this on the 2013s
I actually have an '07 G35x but various internet threads can describe similar issues, on any year model. Had I known this would happen, I would've just ripped the rattling heat shields off of my stock converters and called it a day. Ah, the pains of pursuing more power.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
el_donks

Originally Posted by IracknBack
the shop I'm considering doing mine at said you can get a tune/reflash that is an "o2" delete and won't throw codes if the sensors are removed so they just plug the holes and call it a day.
I'm not even so sure I can do that in NY state, with our emissions laws now following CA. Do you plan on going UpRev or ECUTek?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
The shop installing your HFC shouldn't have a problem installing your O2 sensors. If they mess them up, make them pay. It's not a cheap part. I paid $100 for HFC installation and everything works fine, nearly 5,000 miles later and still no codes. (Fingers crossed)

Love my Berks!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:09 AM
el_donks

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
The shop installing your HFC shouldn't have a problem installing your O2 sensors. If they mess them up, make them pay. It's not a cheap part. I paid $100 for HFC installation and everything works fine, nearly 5,000 miles later and still no codes. (Fingers crossed)

Love my Berks!
Wellll... making them pay is an issue. I actually work at a dealership and hired a technician off of the clock, so the garage itself is not accountable. He is suggesting three possible fixes, which is irritating, since he wouldn't take the time to diagnose the actual source of the issue. His diagnosis was literally what the service manual suggests
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM
shawnb1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zsaltzman
Getting my HFCs in the mail today. Does anyone have a link to a forum post for the installation? I just want to make sure i grab all the tools ill need before i get home. Also if anyone has done this at home, did you have a second person helping, or is it necessary?
considering doing the same thing because I have bad cats right. Did the cel thing come back on? I have 2013 sedan