Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's an impressive difference, the AFR would have been nice. With that lead it's clear the Stillen had the better mix with present tune... which on our cars is rater rich so leaning out is just what's needed. R2C had no affect on my car's AFR pre-tune so it's going to run rich without a tune which makes sense due to the difference between cotton gauze which will let more air (and dust) in then R2Cs filter.

The real test would be both post tune. I doubt there'd be a notable difference one way or another.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 09-23-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone have that intake thread i posted regarding the short rams vs cai a while back??...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dunno which one i should get >.<
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by Mysticalism
Depends on your goals. If you track, HP is #1 and you don't mind the install and maintance ... Stillen or Injen CAI ~18Hp post tune.

If it's a daily driver, you want sound and ~15Hp post tune, easy install, maintenance and superior filtering.. R2C, Takeda,Injen SRI.

That's my best guess since we've never seen a post tune comparison on intake only modded cars to my knowledge.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
cvt

For anyone looking into short rams or CAI for the VQ:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...n-intakes.html

cliff notes: get the CAI...lol
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
more power go with stillen.
it works by creating a higher velocity airflow(our motors love air)
I had a long discuson with kyle@stillen.
my question was "home come it's not 3 inch piping"?
answer to much airflow causes tubulence inside the trottle boddies. Our cars have 333hp I found out that infiniti only has it rated @330 hp because the additional hp is made @ 60mph.
above legal speed limit. Stillen took advantage of that.
by making it higher velocity tricks the a/f.
unless you go turbo.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by cvt
For anyone looking into short rams or CAI for the VQ:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...n-intakes.html

cliff notes: get the CAI...lol
Here's what I read in that article.

AEM high flow filter with the long tubes of a CAI enabled a laminar flow resulting in a greater HP ect..

AEM high flow filter on a SRI generated turbulence due to the lack of tubing.

Not exactly a revalation here...

So how do you make a SRI work? Perhaps by designing your own filter to produce a balance of airflow and protection while ensuring smooth laminar flow... these were R2C's design goals. Can't say how much R2C contributed to these results, but here's post tune to give somewhat of an idea of the difference possible. R2C/Ypipe/tanabe.

The question is what is the end real world difference SRI vs CAI? Do you think there'd be a 15Hp difference or is it as little as 3hp....There are other aspects for competition as well.. install, maintenance, protection.. is it really worth the negatives? The engine is limited by how much air it can take in...all you need is enough. I doubt we'll ever have someone put up the expense of swapping, tuning and testing to confirm.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 09-25-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism
If you think you could handle the more involved installation/maintenance of the Stillen system, go for it. The R2c system is simpler to install/maintain, and I believe without a doubt that their filters are the best.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Here's what I read in that article.

AEM high flow filter with the long tubes of a CAI enabled a laminar flow resulting in a greater HP ect..

AEM high flow filter on a SRI generated turbulence due to the lack of tubing.

Not exactly a revalation here...

So how do you make a SRI work? Perhaps by designing your own filter to produce a balance of airflow and protection while ensuring smooth laminar flow... these were R2C's design goals. Can't say how much R2C contributed to these results, but here's post tune to give somewhat of an idea of the difference possible. R2C/Ypipe/tanabe.

The question is what is the end real world difference SRI vs CAI? Do you think there'd be a 15Hp difference or is it as little as 3hp....There are other aspects for competition as well.. install, maintenance, protection.. is it really worth the negatives? The engine is limited by how much air it can take in...all you need is enough. I doubt we'll ever have someone put up the expense of swapping, tuning and testing to confirm.
the article states masf readings and air turbulance. the SRI's that didn't have a velocity stack lost hp while even the ones that did reported little to no gains.

it's not the filter...it's the design of the intake (where it bends, where the masf is located, and how it channels air). i think real world would be even more brutal as dynos are done with the hood open with a fan blowing. heat soak will always affect short rams as heat air always rises while cold air sinks.

R2C intakes may have stupendous filters but filtration is not just what makes power in our cars. it's manipulating the a/f and ecu. stillen 3Gs use straight tubes that curl at the front of the grill to lean the car for power (ask any 3G owner what their a/f is) while the injen CAI use step down tubing at the mafs to regulate ecu readings while locating their filters AWAY from the engine and hood where temps are hotter.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Frankyg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyno dont lie
Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by franky2222
dyno dont lie
Barring the many things that can make results differ, the biggest error I've learned to see is misinterpreting the results.

For example taking these results as proof of Stillen being a better intake when the results only indicate Stillen is the better intake with a stock tune.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by franky2222
dyno dont lie
Neither does real-world performance/driveability.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
My example is one case that may hold some water in testing the Stillen Gen3 vs R2C:
I and my friend Avo are both tuned with UpRev software, by the same tuner, on the same Dyno. We have similar mods that I think everyone here is familiar with. If anyone knows anything about UpRev tuning, they have yet to break the coding for VVEL timing adjustments and have yet to crack the speed governor for the 2008 G37 5AT (which Avo and I both have). Dyno's for UpRev tuning are based in 3rd gear before throwing 4th and reaching the governor causing the motor to bog down. According to my tuner, Seb at SpecialtyZ, the Stillen Gen3 did lean out the motor more than my R2C SRI due to differences in piping diameter and design. I believe, due to the Stillen's length and shape it creates a great velocity stack inside the intake piping. Both cars are now within proper A/F ratio after the tune.

My setup:
-R2C intakes
-Berk HFC
-Fast Intensions CF w/ 18" Resonated X-Pipe

Avo's setup:
-Stillen Gen3 intake
-Fast Intensions Resonated TP
-Fast Intensions CF w/ 18" Resonated X-Pipe

Result in 3rd gear:
My Car: 298whp
Avo's Car: 305whp

As you can see Avo did achieve a slight HP increase compared to my car.. But it was not as significant or exaggerated as the OP made it out to be.. Estimating the power curve my tuner was able to say we are both roughly making about 310-315whp in 4th gear, but due to the speed governor issue we were unable to dyno at that power. Avo's slight increase in power is both from the fact that he is running TP and Stillen Gen3, but a 7 HP difference is not enough to sway me to believe that one intake is far more superior than the other. Stillen does grab colder air due to its CAI design, but for a SRI the R2C must be given some credit for achieving similar numbers.

For example taking these results as proof of Stillen being a better intake when the results only indicate Stillen is the better intake with a stock tune.
Thank you!!!!

I don't argue that Stillen creates more HP.... But it is not as exagerated as OP made it out to be.

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 09-27-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So R2c should be a good enough intake for me! Thanks man^ great info. R2C seems really good.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
So R2c should be a good enough intake for me! Thanks man^ great info. R2C seems really good.
No problem man.. Either intake is a great choice.. And I'd always recommend a tune with either one you choose.

-And I forgot to mention, R2C has been making filters for military spec Hummers and other vehicles for many many years, so you know they can hold up to abuse. They use dry filters, easy to clean, just blow off with compressed air every 10K miles.

-Stillen uses oiled filters, which have to be taken apart, cleaned and reoiled everyone XXXK miles. (**not sure how often cause I don't own Stillen intake**).. Still a great intake; I'd recommend either one.

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 09-27-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons