Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Injen Short Ram Intake

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Injen Short Ram Intake

Intro
So I received my intake this morning from the post office. Apparently it's been sitting there for the past two weeks and no one told me. Thanks goes to Kevin at US Autotech for the great deal and super quick shipping. I think he still has a bunch left so get yours now before they run out!
Just to note out, my G is a 2nd G35 sedan.

Pre-Install Check
Now on to the intake. Everything was very well packed and covered with that brown paper stuff to prevent any damage. The Amsoil EA filters provided are excellent. They felt very well made and looked better than the oiled gauze paper IMO. The tubes were also super nice with a shiny finish on the outside and very clean welds around the MAF sensor mounts. The inside however seems to be a little left out. The hole where the MAF sensor goes looks as if someone took a dremel and just made a quick hack job. It does not alter performance or hinder it in any way, however, for those who are **** about looks this may be a slight issue for you. I am, however, completely satisfied, considering the sensor location on the left and right intake tubes are perfectly aligned.

Installation
The installation instructions were pretty good and goes over the entire install without missing anything. There were more pictures than words which I prefer. However, the pics were relatively small and could certainly be even more helpful if they were bigger. Moving on. Half of the install procedure is done prior to opening the hood. You will first need to install the velocity stacks into the intakes, mount the shields onto the intakes and the slip in the tubes and mount the rubber insulation. At this point, everything was a perfect fit. I was however not sure of the rubber insulation, since I had an extra piece left over that was not included in the pictures. Oh well.

Removing the stock intakes is very simple and is outlined in the instructions. Once i removed them, I also took out the stock silencers. They were sitting there down nothing. Removing them helps reduce clutter, ease access down there and avoid future rattles and such. There's really not much to say about the install since it's a simply in and out procedure. Although I will comment on a couple things. First, the heat shields line up with the mounting points nicely. everything fit nice and tight with no moving around. The only thing that bothered me with the install is the driver's side intake tube. The darn thing will not stay put when tightening the bolts! It will either slip inside towards the filter or go the other way into the rubber upper tube. I had to slowly tighten both upper and lower bolts while holding the tube to get a good fit. Other than that, it was all good and took about an hour total time.

Testing
So far I have only put about 40kms (~25miles) on the car since the install so I can't really comment at the moment. One thing i immediately noticed though, it seems to drive smoother when cruising around. I do not attribute this to disconnecting the negative battery terminal since I've reset the ECU many times before and this never happened.

I will update this thread as I get more time on the road. The ambient temp is 130F in the day and 110 at night with dust storms most of the time for the past month or so. This should be the ultimate test for these intakes.

Comments and opinions are welcome.

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 07-02-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy Filthy Engine Bay BATMAN!!!! Sheesh those dust storms must suck. Congrats on the Injens! Sweet aren't they?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Q8y_drifter

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Holy Filthy Engine Bay BATMAN!!!! Sheesh those dust storms must suck. Congrats on the Injens! Sweet aren't they?
haha. My engine bay is actually clean. you should've seen it when I first popped the hood in the beginning. I took a blower and blew out 90% of the dust and dirt before the install. it was super dirty!!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
JKashat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intakes look sweet. I was going to comment on how dirty your engine bay was too but then I saw you were in Kuwait and understood, LOL.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Q8y_drifter

Anyone know why we have different looking radiator reservoirs?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
blkmanual

You have an pics of the silencers you removed? Not sure what that part is, also i had the same problem with mine and drove me crazy with the clamp that tightens around the polished tube facing the sensor. Tighten it and it either pushes the tube into the filteer or out. I hope it wont pop out during use. I feel it is just hanging on barely. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
130F during the day? geezus. I thought people start dying at those temperatures.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Q8y_drifter

blkmanual, heres some pics

Silencers

Here's where they connect with the stock boxes

When I had my SRI I had a friend hold the intake where I wanted it, while I slowly tightened the clamp down all the way. I never had any issues with it. My friend now has my SRI and we did the same thing for his car. He's driven at least 10K miles since and no issues either.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
blkmanual

I dont think I had those on my car. Are they on the convertible? I dont recall seeing anything like that. I did exactly what you did I installed the entire unit and then tightened the clamp while it was in place I just felt it wasnt ssecure as if you tighten it down at a certain point it either goes inside or pushes back out. Maybe I am attempting to tighten it too much? Thanks for the picture.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Q8y_drifter

My car is a 2008 G35 HR sedan. I'm not sure if the G37 has the same silencers or not. Just take a flashlight under the filters and check to see if they're there.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Frankyg37s

only sedans have the silencers my 08 coupe doesnt

mann those filters are gonna get dusty so fast
Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The coupe does have the silencers. I've got an 08 and had them.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 AM
pharmade

I think some '08 coupes had them, some didn't. Mine was an '08 G37S coupe and it DID NOT have them. (lord knows I spent 30 minutes looking for them)
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks so much for the great review Q8y_drifter, this thread sealed the deal for me
Just installed it today and love the mean growl above 4k rpm. Thought my G sounded pretty good w/ my exhaust but now it sounds angry
Got a nice deal on Ebay, guy drops the price every few days so if you're interested just wait a bit and you should get it for $279, got it in 3 days too!
Injen Short RAM Mr Intake Infiniti G37 Sedan 2009 2010 SP1998BLK 12hp 3 7L V6 | eBay

Install was simple, hardest part was getting the 4 bolts into the velocity stacks. Not sure if it's common but the inside threads in the stack had some plastic overrun into the threads so I ended up using a tap to clean them up so the bolts wouldn't cross thread. Other than that the quality & fitment is very good. I too had the same issue as the OP regarding the rubber sleeve wanting to slide off the "hump" on the drivers side. Just takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right then really clamp it tight, seems to be staying put. I too removed the silencers, just a metal clip holding them in and you need a long flat screwdriver to pry so you can slide them off, not sure how easy they'll be to re-install but I'll hit that bridge when I come to it. Here's some pics of the install. Thanks again Q8y_drifter!

Last edited by blnewt; 01-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Q8y_drifter

You are welcome
Intake looks great! Feel free to post any additional images or thoughts on the intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Injen Short Ram Intake