Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

JWT fitment

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JWT fitment

I've searched around and the general consensus seems to agree with me that JWT pop chargers' fitment is horrible.

Absolutely horrible. I spent 2-3 hrs toying around with the fitment, the mounting bracket. Right now, I am using the long one on the passenger side, and the short one of the driver side. The driver side is still sitting higher than I'd like. The inlet is not aligned with the filter at all on either side. It works and I guess technically "fits" but I am ****/a perfectionist.

Took the car out for a spin just make sure that my car doesn't blow up. Still very disappointed. I want to toss it in the trash and just get some K&N for the stock box.

Any advice, techniques that you guys used to get it to fit better?

Last edited by ucla bruin; 11-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh wow... Not another FAILed Intake.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Any advice
Looks like you've already taken my advice, sell them. Get yourself a Cobb AP.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ucla bruin

Any advice, techniques that you guys used to get it to fit better?
Check out my thread, I show how I was able to hook up my JWT's to fit perfectly even. I love my JWT's, sorry to hear you are so unhappy with them, I wouldn't change them for any other intake.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust/187243-jwt-pop-chargers-my-custom-install.html
Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
ucla bruin

Hey Steve, I've seen your thread. I'm happy that it worked out for you but I just cannot get them to sit right. I am mounting the passenger side intake bracket below instead of on top of the body frame mount. The difficulty is that it doesn't seem to be long enough and the angle is completely wrong. Do you have any more pictures of your setup?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 PM
SteveG37

I don't have any other pics, but what I had to do was really mess around with them and keep moving them around until I was able to get that passenger side intake jammed down as far as it will go, which lines it up perfectly with the air inlets that the stock boxes hooked into. I did probably spend about 30 minutes or so messing with that passenger's side intake, but I can assure you it will line up perfectly with the driver's side one, and you will be happy. I'm like you, I can't rest if things aren't lined up perfectly, it bugs the heck out of me, so once I finished with this I was very happy with the fit.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:47 PM
ucla bruin

That's good to hear. Are you using the longer bracket for the passenger side and the short one for the driver side? Right now I have the filter sitting/touching the heat shield, it doesn't seem like it can go down any further, is that normal?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
SteveG37

No, I have the longer one on the driver's side, the shorter one is on the passenger's side. Yes they are down all the way to the point where they hit the bottom of the heat shield, they can't go any lower than that. This is also how u know you will be lined up evenly when they are both all the way down into the bottom of the heat shield. The passenger's side one also can't go any lower than that wire harness thingy that is underneath the pipe at almost the point where the pop charger connects to the stock rubber hose thingy that goes into to engine etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
ucla bruin

Interesting. I will go and swap the brackets around right now!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM
erasat

ucla, I replied to a thread that you posted too, back in 7/24/08, from peterbanks. just follow this link and see the pictures and the info I posted in there.

Just trim the inlet as per instructions, and loose all bolts, just twist the Intake tube from side to side while forcing it to go as back as possible, that's only thing I have done and it has worked in 2 different cars, I re-did it when I installed the R2C test filters, and again, same results, here it is a picture with the new filters.

Last edited by erasat; 11-30-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
ucla bruin

Thanks for all the help guys. I put it back on, trimmed, brute-forced, wiggle and tuggled, I guess I just have to accept the fact that the passenger side will not be as aligned with the inlet as the driver side.

erasat, how do you like the new filters?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
erasat

I must be honest, I don't feel too much of a difference, it's negligible.

But, at least I know that the filter is better than JWTs because of material, and the best part is that I don't need to re-oil when cleaning them.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 AM
wrathletik1

I'm so pissed right now. I wanted to make the JWT failure-of-a-bracket fit like Steves, but like Bruin's situation the angle was all wrong. So I tried to take off the black intake attachment/mount that's connected to the car. The hex broke off the screw. Apparently it's secured on the underside by a bolt and now a broken screw is stuck in my car and I can't get it out. I think the underside bolt may be metric. I'm boiling mad right now. JWT should send each and every one of us PROPER fitting brackets.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 AM
wrathletik1

I bet that the "fixed" bracket that came with Steve's intake allow him to have the mounting setup he has, while those of us with the original brackets are stuck with sh!itty fitment.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 AM
ucla bruin

I had to take off that black stock mounting piece to make it work. I took that off, mounted it with the JWT's bracket first then screwed it back onto the frame. The angle still wasn't perfect. The bracket is also hitting the bottle on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: JWT fitment