Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Powerflow Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Those look pretty much like the original filter size, still you should have better flow, more protection and less maintance, how do they fit on the JWT?

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-17-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
erasat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here are my first impressions. with some pictures and a video.

First of all, Easy installation, as expected, obviously, only thing changing here are the filters, so it's pretty much remove JWTs and install these, 5-10 minutes at most.

Size - As far as I can see, it's same size than JWTs, so what does that means?, it means that all of you with Passenger's side "issues" because of that area been so crowded, well, there is nothing else you can do with these, hey, I can even tell you that these will be a little more difficult to install for those of you that doesn't want to trim the passenger's side plastic inlet, because at least with JWTs there is a hole in front of the filter, this one doesn't have the hole, so yes, you will need to trim a little or find another way playing with the bracket.

Quality - JWTs felt great at first, but after seeing the filters getting grayish with time and loosing its original blueish, it makes you wonder about the quality, I don't complain about it because the only thing that I care for is Power, but nonetheless, the R2C filters really have something different, when you have them in your hands you kind of feel that it's of a great quality, let's see how it holds with time. As of now I like this filters better than JWTs.

Look - well, I must be honest it seems nicer (IMHO) because of the filter white color (combines with my car) but this is something that each own will decide.

Sound - as expected I can't notice any difference in sound, you can se th evideo I took when I installed the JWTs, and if you compare both, they sound identical.

Let's see how it feels when I have a chance to drive it tomorrow. One thing to consider is that these filters doesn't have the front hole like the JWTs, so I wonder how it can affect the air flow coming from the air inlets, altough I don't think this Company didnt think about it, but I think, JWT's idea is better, direct hole to get the air, simply means more direct air.

Final Installation picture and the video.

Last edited by erasat; 10-19-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM
RedG37SNC

Nice, I like the look of the R2C filters better but I agree with you they should follow the JWT Filter design with an opening in the front. It's not as important with thier intake due to the heatshield difference but you should get more cold air intake with the JWT's with an opening in front, I'd give that feedback to Ed. I bet it would increase their cost $10-$20 more if they can even do it. Then you'd have to wonder.. would it really make any difference.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-17-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:45 AM
kool_yaar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goo points, but even by the pics you can tell that they are much better quality than the JWT's...
Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 AM
erasat

This is the response I got from Ed after I asked him about the JWT's hole Vs R2C's End Cap design.

<<The most important factor regarding the amount of air a filter can flow is internal volume. During the last year, we have evaluated the engineering and performance of the open end caps on almost all of the current filters offered today. In each case, the performance was, at best the same and in most cases, worse than had the end cap been closed provided the filter media allowed for the necessary flow of air required by the engine. The end cap velocity is usually higher and thus more restrictive than through the body of the filter. The JWT is no exception. The restriction levels and face velocity are much higher than the R2C replacement. After a few months of normal driving and filter loading, the restriction level of the JWT and other gauze filters become even higher due to a lack of media loft. There is simply nowhere to store the dust that is not injested into the engine and thus the voids begin to close. It's quite normal to find restriction levels at 4-5 times the levels of the R2C and the curve continues to climb vertically once this loading occurs. While we would have never designed a filter with the limited overall performance capacity of the one purchased by JWT for your application, we did improve every area of measured filter performance based on the size constraints of their system when the R2C replacement was developed.

In closing, please remember that the vast majority of intake system manufacturers do not have the capability of manufacturing or even testing the filters the rely on. They simply order filters from a manufacturer based on size constraints or cosmetics. That will never be the case with an R2C system. We design, engineer, test and manufacturer R2C filters here in our Forest Park, IL facility and have done so for decades. Our test labs are quite sophisticated and we can simulate flow volumes exceeding the demands of the most sophisticated race platform. Some of the most prominent motor sport teams you see compete on television each week routinely come to us in order to evaluate and develop products that will eliminate their intake/filter concerns and the demands are very high. Rest assured, the same level of detailed engineering and performance is designed into every R2C high performance street application. I hope this eliminates any concern you may have had regarding the end cap configuration of the many filter styles you will find available today. Drive it and enjoy the fact that cleaners and oiling will never be necessary again and have confidence that all aspects of filter performance are considered and addressed when producing replacement filters. The engine protection levels are also unmatched.

Regards,
Ed>>

Last edited by erasat; 10-19-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 AM
kool_yaar

^ nice, so did yo get to drive around with them? any impressions?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
RedG37SNC

Interesting comment "High velocity air is more restrictive." I guess it's like trying to breath with your mouth opened and head out the window at high speed.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM
erasat

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ nice, so did yo get to drive around with them? any impressions?
I did, but I must be honest I don't think I can tell a difference right now, I'm feeling a little different, but don't ask me what, how or when, I will definitely use it tomorrow in my normal daily driving to see if I can appreciate it better.

I will keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
kool_yaar

Thanks for the input erasat, im guessing that you coming from JWT to these is not much difference as you have already experienced the gains with the JWT and now you have the same heat sheilds etc with their filter, so i would not expect MUCH noticable differnce as well.

On the other hand i believe if you got their entire intake then you should feel the difference just check out the pics of this system, it is built nicely and has MUCH better heatshields and heat insulation material... so i cant wait
Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
RedG37SNC

Intitial performance wise would probably be negligable, the main advantage will be loaded performance, easier maintenance and a filter that will actual protect your engine.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
kool_yaar

^+1 thats the reason why im not even looking at the Stillen Gen3, they look nice but for ME too many worries while driving in differnt situations, this is all around protection, with performance sound and no headaches of oil or cleaning, Just blow off the dust with compressed air!!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
erasat

This is Ed's response to the e-mail I sent him explaining him that at this point, I don't feel any significant difference, BTW, I'm still in testing mode.

<<First of all, thanks for your efforts to this point. All of us at R2C Performance appreciate your help.

It's perfectly understandable that you didn't feel an appreciable difference when replacing the gauze filters. The initial restriction with new filters is very similar in WG". A dramatic change in the restriction level occurs as the gauze filters such as JWT, KN, etc. begin to load with use. The information below will illustrate the change in filter restriction with use. At 50 grams, the restriction is 4 times higher and at 55 grams of dust, the gauze restriction level is 6.75 times higher. This will provide an idea of how steep the restriction increase is as the filters begin to collect road dust. As I indicated in my last response, the gauze filters have very little media area to store the dust. The attached document will indicate how much actually goes through the filter and is ingested into the engine causing unecessary cylinder wall and related combustion chamber component wear and is also a leading factor in the breakdown of motor oil. This is not to pick on Jim Wolf. I'm sure the people at JWT make an effort to provide high quality components. More than likely, they simply don't have the ability to test filter performance at this level. New system/component dyno numbers simply don't tell the entire story. While this may provide a good baseline comparison, they're only new for a little while and then the impact begins. This data is applicable for all of the gauze products. Having said that, there are performance filters that have high levels of restriction right out of the box.

Feel free to contact me anytime I can be of help.

Lab Test Data SAE J726 – ISO 5011

Jim Wolf , R2C Performance

Initial restriction .7” @ 0 grams dust , .7”@ 0 grams

2.1”@ 30 grams , 1.2”@ 30 grams

6.4”@ 50 grams , 1.5”@ 50 grams

10.8”@ 55 grams , 1.6”@ 55 grams

Initial Efficiency 92.2% 99.1%

Cumulative Efficiency 93.6% 99.5%
>>
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
kool_yaar

Wo, 10.6 to 1.6, wow thats a difference...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
RedG37SNC

In case you haven't seen this.. here's their test results against competitors. I'm shocked Amsoil did the worst.

http://www.importpartspro.com/lib/yhst-15342291949654/R2CTests.xls
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
RedG37SNC

I wanted to know if Ed had any data on how well the R2C does the job of filtering vs the competitors.. he did. Just how much dust do the Cotton Gause filters let in the engine???

Originally Posted by Ed @ R2C
Filter Efficiency and Dust Pass Through

Even though efficiency is reported as the percentage of dust a filter collects, true efficiency is more about what is allowed to pass through a filter rather than what is stopped by it. It is the dust passing through a filter that causes engine damage and premature wear and failure.

When looking at collection efficiency, it is easy to overlook the differences in the volume of dust going through a filter of 99% efficiency versus a filter that’s 99.5% efficient. The 0.5% difference seems insignificant until you realize that the 99% filter allows 2 times more dust to pass through than the 99.5% filter.

Following is a list of some of the popular filters that were tested and the increase in dust volumes they allow.

Filter, Efficiency, Multiples more dust pass through

R2C, 99.7%, 0

Green, 93.6%, 21.33 times more dust

AEM, 97.5%, 8.33 times more dust

K&N, 95.6%, 14.67 times more dust

Amsoil, 98.5%, 5 times more dust

Airaid, 98.4%, 5.33 times more dust

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-21-2008 at 08:13 PM.