Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

WTF?!? Berk HFC's installed with Stillen cat-back and I get a S.E.S. Light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
WTF?!? Berk HFC's installed with Stillen cat-back and I get a S.E.S. Light?

I got my exhaust parts installed yesterday, and all was good. I drove the car around all afternoon and night just fine. Today I went out with my friend and really got on it. I noticed a strong smell, but figured the cats/exhaust were just braking in. About 5 min. later the Service Engine Soon light pops on. Now the car drives fine, and the smell went away cause I started driving normal but the light is on. Is it because of my hard driving with the cats being brand new and not broken in, did the O2 sensors just trip cause of the new cats, or is this normal and I have to live with it cause of the aftermarket HFC's? From my research the Berk HFC's don't trip the S.E.S. light, am I wrong?!?!? I'm gonna reset my ECU and this light better stay dim!!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

FYI, I jumped the gun, I hope... I reset my computer in the car and let it sit and idle for about 10 min. Then I drove it for about 15 min. ranging from daily driving, a bit on the freeway, and a little agressive drill on the way back home. No S.E.S. light came back. It must have been my ***** out craziness earlier in the day with brand new cats. Sorry for the scare
Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
sounds like you were more scared than us........ i thought you were going to have a heart attack after the title and your first post. I'm glad everything is well!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

I just meant sorry if I scared anyone away from buying these products, but yeah i was scared I wasted like 1800 bucks with the install and parts. I researched the heck outta this because I didn't want an SES light glaring at me. I thought I had been duped, but Jesus loves me and all is well
Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get on it over and over to make sure it don't trigger again
Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea because If you get the SES light again... It will be because whoever installed them broke a sensor... thats the only way you will get a SES with HFCs....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Buddy Revell

Also, if you get the SES light again, don't reset it right away. Instead, take it to an Autozone so you can check what code was thrown for free. That way, you can post up the OBDII code here, so we can find out which sensor might have been damaged.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Also, if you get the SES light again, don't reset it right away. Instead, take it to an Autozone so you can check what code was thrown for free. That way, you can post up the OBDII code here, so we can find out which sensor might have been damaged.
^^^ I hate Autozone... At least the one by my casa... Nothing but tards workin there... Good to buy little things there but I wouldnt trust them with my ECU... But yeah like Solo said, get on it again and pray that it doesn't turn back on... Hopefully it's not an O2 sensor broken... Sensors = $ which will = you to look like --->
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Kessel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you like them? Feel any power?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Angry

Quick update, after being fine last night, and all day today, I floored it entering the freeway tonight and boom: S.E.S. popped up again Guess I'm gonna have to go get the code read at Autozone tomorrow. I told the installer about taking the sensors out first if he used impact tools. I've never had a problem with this place and they've done all my work on my 2 ford lightnings and subaru sti. I'm super bummed cause I gotta fork over more $$ now. I'm gonna look in the fine print of the stupid paper I signed when getting the work done and see what it says about responsiblity in this situation. That douche should buy me a sensor! Anyways, it's still all worth it cause with these 2 mods the car is way faster than stock.

P.S. I'm getting it dyno'd, and will post those results to show what I gained from these mods as well as after results when I install the Stillen headers in a week or so
Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

I got the codes read. It came up with O2 sensors in bank 1 and bank 2. Codes were P2A00 and P2A03. The codes were pending, which the guy said means they might be righting themselves, like the sensors weren't still throwing codes or something. Why do they go off only under high rate of acceleration? Are the sensors busted???
Old 05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by AZg37
I got the codes read. It came up with O2 sensors in bank 1 and bank 2. Codes were P2A00 and P2A03. The codes were pending, which the guy said means they might be righting themselves, like the sensors weren't still throwing codes or something. Why do they go off only under high rate of acceleration? Are the sensors busted???
I looked up the codes your car is throwing in the G37's service manual, and it says that the sensors going off are the A/F sensors in the stock headers, bank 1 being the passenger side and bank 2 the driver's side. It lists as possible causes the sensors themselves being damaged, a fuel pressure problem, a fuel injector problem, or intake air leaks. Question: I see on your mod list you have Fujita intakes also. Were those installed at the same time as your HFCs and exhaust?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch you gotta replace both of them... your install guy must have went crazy and used the impact gun...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fast Intentions!!!! Ftw!

Quick Reply: WTF?!? Berk HFC's installed with Stillen cat-back and I get a S.E.S. Light?