Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help need for HFC install and legal issue.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help need for HFC install and legal issue.

OK guys, here is the issue. I called the Infiniti dealership to find out how much they would change to install my BERK HFC that I will be getting in a couple days. I did this because I talked to one of the techs a week or two ago when I got my first oil change and asked him how much they change to put on an aftermarket exhaust. He told me that he would need to see the exhaust before he could give me a qoute so I said ok. Well I called them to find out about an HFC install and the guy I talked to talked to the main tech and he told him that they are not legally allowed to install CATs on the car until the warrenty is up. This wasn't a big deal to me but I might have wanted them to install it just so I could go thru them if the F'ed up the install but no big deal. The guy referred me to a muffler shop to get a price from him to install. I contact this guy and he tells me that he cannot legal install the CAT due to the warrenty. I tell him that that is BS because warrenty cannot be void due to aftermarket installs. It would only affect my warrenty if the issue was caused by the part installed or the installation of the part. He told me to get him proof and he would look into doing this. Can someone provide me with the link to that lawsuit in regards to this or some legal link that shows this is ok? I know I can search but I am at work and my time is short plus I am a little pissed because no one around here will call me back with a quote on an install for this crap. Thanks for the help. I will do a search later tonight if I don't get a responce with the link so no worries if no one can help.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I will tell you ... you need to find a shop that has a friendly person doing the install. Because you will not be able to keep your stock cats if you dont...

Maybe give a tip or something...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:51 PM
KCMO

I think it's an environmental law that the catalytic converters cannot be replaced within a certain window of the car being manufactured. If the cat does fail in this time, the warranty from the manufacture is designed to cover the OEM and federally approved replacement.

I'd imagine in the case of 'damage' where warranty wouldn't cover the replacement, aftermarket substitutes could be used, but I'm not 100% familiar with the laws and regulations regarding emissions.

Basically you'll need to find a friendly shop, even to install new cats vs. test pipes.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aftermarket cats are illegal tho. i can see why they do not want to install it for you. you can do it yourself, probably be a hard job but it will save you some labor..
Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Really? I have never heard of aftermarket cats being illegal. I know test pipes usually are but never heard that cats were.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
first off, you shouldn't ask a dealer to do aftermarket work, like HFC...unless they offer the parts at the dealer....the dealer where i bought my car sells stillen products, so they do installs on those items...

you need to go to a performance shop or a muffler shop
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM
todd92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Really? I have never heard of aftermarket cats being illegal. I know test pipes usually are but never heard that cats were.
ANY modifications or alterations to the emission systems on a car are illegal. Period.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
first off, you shouldn't ask a dealer to do aftermarket work, like HFC...unless they offer the parts at the dealer....the dealer where i bought my car sells stillen products, so they do installs on those items...

you need to go to a performance shop or a muffler shop
That's the problem NAM, I asked a muffler shop and they told me they were not allowed to do it. I was going to go through the dealer just because if sometime down the road if there was an issue with the install then I could say well you installed it so fix it. I really didn't think they would install it although they said they would install the catback exhaust for me. I live in an apartment so it is not like I can do this myself seeing as I have no garage or tools to do it.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

This sucks... Dont you feel helpless when you have a mod that you cant seem to get on the G? been there done that...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Berk's come with a " Converter Warranty Certificate / Installation Statement " That has to be signed by both the shop that installs them as well as you the owner. That being said, oem converters are covered under EPA emissions control warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles. That's why you may be getting flak about having new one's installed. The certificate that come with the Berk's has check boxes for reason for install as: the vehicle is 8 years old or has over 80k miles or the converters where missing when the vehicle was brought in.

Bottom line, just tell a shop your converters are damaged and you have new certified ones that you would like installed.

Last edited by peterbanks; 03-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Any muffler shop should know what the Warrenty Certificate as it is the same one that comes with all magnoflow converters.... My guy actually told me this... He explained the law to me pretty well...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
That's the problem NAM, I asked a muffler shop and they told me they were not allowed to do it. I was going to go through the dealer just because if sometime down the road if there was an issue with the install then I could say well you installed it so fix it. I really didn't think they would install it although they said they would install the catback exhaust for me. I live in an apartment so it is not like I can do this myself seeing as I have no garage or tools to do it.
have you tried performance shops?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by peterbanks
The Berk's come with a " Converter Warranty Certificate / Installation Statement " That has to be signed by both the shop that installs them as well as you the owner. That being said, oem converters are covered under EPA emissions control warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles. That's why you may be getting flak about having new one's installed. The certificate that come with the Berk's has check boxes for reason for install as: the vehicle is 8 years old or has over 80k miles or the converters where missing when the vehicle was brought in.

Bottom line, just tell a shop your converters are damaged and you have new certified ones that you would like installed.
I did not know this Peterbanks. Thanks for that piece on info.

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
have you tried performance shops?
NAM, I tried the place that did the dyno for me but the dude never called back. Being as I live in Colorado Springs, Performance shops (good ones) are hard to find it seems. We have "rice" shops but that is about it. My friend got a Nitrous kit for his Roush mustang (I talked about his car in other threads) from one of the best performance shops in the Springs. He then moved to Phoenix and went in to increase his shot count on his Nitrous system. The dudes took a look at his car and laughed at him asking if he installed it. He told him who installed it and they told him never ever go back to that shop. The setup his system and tuned his car to the mods he had and when I friend took his car to the strip he dropped close to a second off his 1/4 time. My friends dad is a master mechanic so I might need to see if he can do it for me but he tends to "drink" to much so he might not be reliable.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
**Jumpstarting this thread again** I'm probably going to be bashed for this but I had a Meineke shop install my Kinetix HFC's on my old 350Z and it was still under warranty at the time. There were no questions asked and they did an excellent job. Charged me $150 for the work.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I got mine done at a performance shop. No questions asked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help need for HFC install and legal issue.