Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Berk Technology Hfc Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Berk Technology Hfc Review

So here is my review of the HFCs
I just installed them about an hour ago and drove roughly 6 miles to work:
Pros:
Deeper more audible version of the stock exhaust note.
Noticeably quicker acceleration from 5000 RPM to 7000 RPM (very noticeable!)
Excellent price for this mod
Excellent quality, fit and finish (technician that installed them commented on how nice the cats looked as well).
Intuitive install process

Con:
Difficult to access top bolts (not quite as easy as the previous generation)

Verdict:
A great mod for a great price with noticeable gains up top and no dicernable loss down low.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The first thing that I listened for was drone. When I cranked up my car, the car sounded stock. I drove around at various speeds 20 , 30, 40 50 MPH- NO DRONE WHAT SO EVER!... OK so here would be the real test- the freeway. 60 MPH- no drone, 70 MPH - no drone, 80 MPH- no drone 90 MPH- no drone. I backed off from there completely satisfied with the results. In fact under all of the above conditions there was no indication that there was anything aftermarket on my car.

So now I will test it under load:

From a stop light I engage in some spirited accelertaion but not WOT. You will notice a difference in sound after 3500 RPM. The exhaust note sounds maybe a couple decibles more audible than my previous generation G35 without al the extra insulation that the G37 has (which is more than acceptable for this type of mod) and permeates from the rear of the car. There is no noise resonating through the under belly at all- all of it comes from the rear which is where you want it to come from. There is no rasp at all. As mentioned it just enhances the stock sound a little. Similar to that cold start up sound (without the imfamous rattle).

OK now to go WOT:

Again only a few decibles higher than perhaps a previous generation G35. The sound is quite exotic.

Acceleration from a stop:
0-4500 RPM feels the same as stock (no low end loss at all). 4500 - 7000 and you really know that there is something aftermarket on your car- SWEET!
Shifted to 2nd (the tires even chirped but I am not sure if that was just a fluke situation- catching an uneven road surface) and then you can really tell a difference in the power as you are placed right in the sweet spot in second gear.

Acceration from a roll:
I was doing about 60 to merge on the freeway. I downshifted to 2 and then quickly upshifted, got a nice kick in the butt and was at 100 quite a bit quicker than when I was stock...

Can't wait until the drag-strip opens back up.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 03-18-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Fantastic review. Thanks for the detailed writeup. What was the install time and cost if you don't mind? Any removial or installation issues? Did your installer have problems with the infamous "evil bolts"?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM
KAHBOOM

It took about 2 hours for install. I did it through a Dodge dealership whose service advisor once worked fro a local Nissan dealer, owns a 350Z is on my350Z. He had his Master Tech (for the Dodge Viper) do the install for $150.00. Everywhere else that I got quotes quoted me at least $225 for install.

I think if they had known that the "evil bolts" were going to be such a difficult task, they would have charged me a little bit more (and I would have still paid it after looking under there and seeing how difficult it was with my own eyes.). But they were very meticulous and did everything right which was my top priority.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
good write up
Old 03-18-2008, 12:49 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good job... Glad you like them... I know I do....

On you Con... I would call that and install Con... LoL Berk didnt design the car...
Did they break any bolt heads? were you able to watch them install?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
KAHBOOM

They actually were able to do the install without breaking any of the stock bolts. I watched the beginnig part of the install but because of OSHA regulations we figured it was best for me to let the tech do his work with me in the waiting area

On you Con... I would call that and install Con... LoL Berk didnt design the car...
Yep definitely not a Berk con at all..

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 03-18-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sucks cali does not alow HFC...but great to know it's got no drone and it only accentuates the sound of stock. it would be nice to see what a full exhaust set up with cams and re-flash can net....nice to know things are opening up for the HR motors..
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot wait to install mine this weekend. Hopefully the weather is nice so I can drive up to Denver.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
They actually were able to do the install without breaking any of the stock bolts. I watched the beginnig part of the install but because of OSHA regulations we figured it was best for me to let the tech do his work with me in the waiting area

Yep definitely not a Berk con at all..
I actually helped my guys install mine... I wouldnt have not watched due to breaking the o2 things in the headers... I wanted to make sure they didnt use impact tools so they wouldnt mess those up....

It all worked out in the end... I bet your dieing to get off of work to go drive!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
KAHBOOM

oh yeah. I saw the Master Tech removing the o2 sensors and he was using hand tools during the removal process. I printed off the specefic intructions that Berk posted on the forums. Since it was on the dealership's books, they wanted to do it according to instructions so that they would not have to buy new O2 sensors and other parts.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
G-Pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to get one but since I live in So Cal, I guess I'll wait for something else... Great write up KAHBOOM, glad you're happy with your purchase- that's always the most important thing.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Very nice write up. Makes me want some, but I like test pipes. But I'm going to hold out for the great stuff to come. I wasted so much money on my last project.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up, i hear nothing but positive things on this product. this is one mod i will definitly consider. couple ??s does this void the infiniti warranty? and how much did it cost did you get in the group buy or on your own?

thanks, once agian great write up
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
peterbanks

KAHBOOM, glad you got them! I've said this before, this mod has all the positives and ZERO negatives. Welcome to the club.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPOHN
Very nice write up. Makes me want some, but I like test pipes. But I'm going to hold out for the great stuff to come. I wasted so much money on my last project.

you read that terrible has no cel light on his test pipes? might want to pm him on that.

Quick Reply: Berk Technology Hfc Review