Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Berk Technology High Flow Cats Reviewed with Aftermarket Exhaust-Pics-Vids-

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Berk Technology High Flow Cats Reviewed with Aftermarket Exhaust-Pics-Vids-

Berk Technology High Flow Cats Review

Shipped Tight and Packaged Nicely...
Comes with Installation Instructions with Pictures
Includes all new Bolts and Nuts and New gaskets

Install: Had them professionally Installed at my exhuast shop but I helped with it. Install went great until we got to the TOP bolts on the upper side of the Stock Cats. The bottom bolts are faced forward so you can get them from the bottom. But the PITA top ones Suck. They are faced to the rear of the Car. Well we went down from the top. The Driverside intake is really the only one you have to take off. But my Bolts were Tight as crap. We used a long extension and a breaker bar. The guy said he was afraid of breaking the head off the bolt. So basically I was stuck. I grabbed my phone and call up Bryan at Berk and He talks me through what to do. If the Top bolt only breaks... Thats ok.. the cat slides out... **but this is only the top bolts that dont have threads in the manifold** So we broke the passenger side and the driver side actually came out ok... After that we were finished in about 15 minutes. Basically if The nuts were so tight it would have only takin about 45-1hr.
See PICS Attached...

Weight:
Stock Cats weighed in at 10lbs each...
Berk Cats weighed in at 4lbs each...

My thoughts on the look: The cats were alot smaller than the OEM cats. The Piping was nice and shiny. Very nice Welds.

Start up: Sounds a little louder and deeper

Idle: Idle sounds a tad deeper... Im not sure a person could tell a difference if they didnt know HFCs were added.

Rev up in car: I get into the car and start to rev it up... a noticeable deeper growl just a smidge louder then stock.

Rev up outside at rear: Yes Its noticably Louder. It sounds good. Deep Deep Deeper.

Driving with windows up and normal driving: Its still not very loud at all during normal driving. I can tell that it has a deeper tone but there is no drone and no uncomfortable tone. I think this car is very well insulated.

Driving with windows up at WOT:
Once again... Car is very insulated but I can tell a good difference at WOT. Its alot deeper and It sounds so Exotic.

Driving with windows down and normal driving: You can tell you have added something to your exhaust. Its alot deeper. It is louder than before.

Driving with windows down at WOT: Again The engine noise takes over again when you get higher in the RPMs. But I can here a deeper sound when the engine does take over... I love driving hard through the gears... It sounds really nice. It is a very deep sound mod.

Drive by outside car:
I love it I love it. Its great. It is louder and deeper. You can hear it coming and going.

Over all thoughts- This addition to the G is a well worth it made. The noise level does increase. It is deeper than before. You can tell it opened it up more. Would I do it again? Yes. My only reservation is at times while driving I think that I hear a raspy sound... But when I let my friend drive then its not there. I dunno. I just know I hate Raspyness..... I cant imagine having Raspy Test Pipes.
The Car Lost 12 lbs due to this mod.

POWER: This mod has Crazy power. It was at least double what I felt with the addition on the exhaust. I was shocked to feel the difference. This is my favorite part about the HFCs.

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOni_7J0sw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLT2bcbh6w
Attached Thumbnails Berk Technology High Flow Cats Reviewed with Aftermarket Exhaust-Pics-Vids--cat.jpg   Berk Technology High Flow Cats Reviewed with Aftermarket Exhaust-Pics-Vids--cat2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
SctrojansG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds nice. what kind of power are we talking? Did you get dynoed or just feels more powerful.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

No Dyno. Just what I felt. The same guy that drove my car after the Exhaust install drove it and when he got outta the car he said Wow you can tell a difference in the acceleration... So it wasnt just me...

I thought about dynoing them but I didnt want to wait a week to install and dyno...sorry
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
[B]Install went great until we got to the TOP bolts on the upper side of the Stock Cats. But the PITA top ones Suck. They are faced to the rear of the Car.
dats wat i was afraid of...i wonder if i can do this install myself
Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up Max, I cannot wait to get my HFCs. I got my car dyno'ed on Friday so I know have some base numbers to work with and compare after I mod it and dyno it again. If you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the install? I have been trying to get prices around were I live but no one seems to want to give me a price or call me back. I might have to go to Denver. I just want to know what a "fair" price for install should be.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

80 bucks and it took about 2.5 hrs
check your PM

EDIT: I guess I should say the guys kinda like me so there not to hard on chargin me the real prices...

Id say 100-150 ... would be normal

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 03-08-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

cool, thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM
UNV-IT46

so you did end up breaking the bolts? did you replace them?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

I broke one... Berk sends All new bolts to replace the stockers...
Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 AM
infidsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG im in love!!! That sounds GREAT! Looks GREAT! I was going to hold out till spring now im going to have to go to Berks website and order me a pair!

Thanx for the Excelent write up!

bboysteele where's the dyno? Did you post?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:11 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoa, nice vids. it has the deep growl now.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
great write up...
Old 03-09-2008, 01:29 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by infidsg35
OMG im in love!!! That sounds GREAT! Looks GREAT! I was going to hold out till spring now im going to have to go to Berks website and order me a pair!

Thanx for the Excelent write up!

bboysteele where's the dyno? Did you post?
No, I am waiting until I can get them scanned before posting. I might be able to get it done tomorrow. Then after I get these HFCs I will do it again and once more after I get an exhaust. Was going to get the FI but now since they don't allow 4.5 tips unless you have them install, I am not sure. I will have to talk to them (I was going to buy it sometime this week too).
Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would call them.. im sure they can work with you.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I broke one... Berk sends All new bolts to replace the stockers...
how did you get the threads out if you broke the heads off...

Quick Reply: Berk Technology High Flow Cats Reviewed with Aftermarket Exhaust-Pics-Vids-