Notices
Home Cooking Off topic lounge to discuss home cooking.

Microwave food killing us????

Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Byron Sexton

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Microwave food killing us????

Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 369 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm not going for it..... I was a bachelor for 10 years when I got off my parents porch and I lived off of microwavable food. I'm 30 now and still as healthy as I was as a teenager. That man WILL make a fortune though. Hey believes his theory and that's all it takes to sell an idea.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:12 PM
psu1978

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Complete and utter nonsense. Microwave ovens do not create ionizing radiation, they work by using very short radio waves to excite molecules which are "polar", meaning there is a slight different in the positive and negative charges across the molecule. The "excited" molecule vibrates, which causes friction, which causes heat. Water is the most common polar molecule, and it and fats are the reason your food gets hot in a microwave. A piece of toast - with very little water in it - will barely get warm, but a piece of bacon, with both water and fat, will heat up nicely.

Microwaving food doesn't make it toxic, nor do microwaves create toxins out of food. I don't know what this guy's credentials are, but he either does not know jack about what he's discussing, or is trying to scare people into buying something from him. I suspect the latter.
The following users liked this post:
stealthee (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:44 PM
stealthee

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by psu1978 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. Microwave ovens do not create ionizing radiation, they work by using very short radio waves to excite molecules which are "polar", meaning there is a slight different in the positive and negative charges across the molecule. The "excited" molecule vibrates, which causes friction, which causes heat. Water is the most common polar molecule, and it and fats are the reason your food gets hot in a microwave. A piece of toast - with very little water in it - will barely get warm, but a piece of bacon, with both water and fat, will heat up nicely.

Microwaving food doesn't make it toxic, nor do microwaves create toxins out of food. I don't know what this guy's credentials are, but he either does not know jack about what he's discussing, or is trying to scare people into buying something from him. I suspect the latter.
Pretty much what I was going to say, except you made it sound more educational than I could have.

Microwaves have been around for a long time now. If they were causing issues, it would have happened by now.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 PM
psu1978

Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
Pretty much what I was going to say, except you made it sound more educational than I could have.
:-) :-) :-) Pseudo-science is one of my pet peeves, I take great delight in poking holes in it.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 PM
stealthee

The problem is there are a large percentage of gullible people who want to believe this so much that they are making it true by spreading the BS. When presented with facts that completely debunk the garbage they run around covering their ears and shouting "Blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you. Blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you."

Or, they just call you names, because they don't have any real world facts to back them up.
psu1978 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 10:19 PM
psu1978

Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
The problem is there are a large percentage of gullible people who want to believe this so much that they are making it true by spreading the BS. When presented with facts that completely debunk the garbage they run around covering their ears and shouting "Blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you. Blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you."

Or, they just call you names, because they don't have any real world facts to back them up.
Oh, you know it!!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 AM
takemorepills

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I didn't watch the video. Don't know what that guy claims.

However, the claim of "microwave food is killing us" could be partially true, for a few reasons.

-processed foods. Microwave foods are commonly over-processed, and our food supply chain is somewhat shady with GMO and the such.

-plastics. I don't care what anybody says is safe today in 2018, eventually there will be some study that says some commonly used plastic component is discovered to be carcinogenic. The problem for microwave food is that certain elements of food get SUPER hot: oils, sugars and the edges closest to the microwave energy, which is the part of the food that is touching the plastic container. Generally the oil in food collects near the plastic and this gets super hot whilst cooking, you are definitely releasing chemicals into your food this way. Absolutely. Today the industry will tell you "not to worry", but someday in the future don't be surprised if there's a big push to eliminate plastic packaging (or plastic type linings of paper products) of microwave foods!

Cooking/reheating basic foods in normal, ceramic or glass dishes should be totally safe. The mechanism of microwaving is undoubtedly safe. It's everything else being put into our food, and what it is put into that should cause concern for people.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 AM
stealthee

The whole GMO hate fad is a completely different conversation. GMO's aren't as bad as the "naturalists" try to claim they are.

A new study comes out every day claiming something causes cancer.
slartibartfast (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 AM
psu1978

The idea that genetically modified foods are some new thing would be a big surprise to a long-ago monk named Gregor Mendel. And I agree with stealthee, "GMO free" isn't a panacea. How is that determined? How many generations do you have to go back to prove that the genetics have not been altered? Where's the data?

To me, GMO-free is much like the label "organic" - what's your operational definition? How is that label determined? Are these chemically and biologically defensible, or are they this generation's version of "with chlorophyll and retsin" (yes, I know, I'm showing my age now)

As for plastics in the microwave - there's not a lot of things plastics can break down into besides their component monomers and decomposition products, no matter what stressor is applied to them. I wouldn't use a PVC container in the microwave, but polyethylene and polypropylene are safe even if the hot oils/fats distort or discolor the plastic.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 550 Posts
Food plastics can be made with bis-phenol-A. It can leach out of the plastic when heated. BpA can emulate estrogen, so it's not good for us red-blooded he-men women hater club members. And before you guys get your panties in a wad, that's a Calvin and Hobbes reference.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:06 PM
psu1978

Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Food plastics can be made with bis-phenol-A. It can leach out of the plastic when heated. BpA can emulate estrogen, so it's not good for us red-blooded he-men women hater club members. And before you guys get your panties in a wad, that's a Calvin and Hobbes reference.
Unless you are under the age of puberty, ingestion of normal amounts of BPA has not been found to affect any endocrine, cardiac, respiratory, or CNS functions. There is some equivocal evidence that it affects system development in babies and very young children, but the data doesn't pass a rigorous test. If you really want to be safe, do not use plastics with a recycle 3 (polyvinyl chloride) or recycle 7 (other plastics) symbol. The other numbers (1 = PET, or polyethylene terephthalate - soda pop bottles, 2 = HDPE, or high density polyethylene - milk jugs, 4 - LDPE, low density polyethylene - sandwich bags, 5 = PP, polypropylene - Tupperware, 6 = PS, polystyrene - disposal cups and cutlery) don't contain BPA to start with and so it cannot leach out of them when heated.

And yes, I recognized the Calvin reference. But don't be pinning that on Hobbs - he likes Suzie because she has cookies at her tea parties and gives him hugs! :-)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 550 Posts
Are you HSE for a refinery?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 PM
psu1978

Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Are you HSE for a refinery?
:-) I used to be, when I lived in Beaumont.

Then I did HSE for chemical plants there, Houston, Bay City, Pampa and the Carolinas. Now I'm corporate HSE for an industrial gas company.