Kitchen knives - MyG37

Notices
Home Cooking Off topic lounge to discuss home cooking.

Kitchen knives

Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,212 Posts
Kitchen knives

I've been doing more cooking than usual lately and have come to the realization that the knives I have suck and I'd like better ones. Anyone have experience in this field? Suggestions on brands to buy or stay away from? I know very little about buying good ones but want to learn before spending money.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Gooniej12

I personally like wusthof. I decided to invest in a set and they are great. I've used some regular no name knife sets and even tried Ginsu (gift). Buy it once, buy it right. I say wusthof will def meet all your needs and then some. Quality, performance, and design are all great....like the G35s & G37s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gooniej12 For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Global knives are nice, they are all stainless, and are comfortable to use. They're not carbon steel like the high end german knives, but they're so much cheaper that you can afford to just toss it when it gets unacceptably dull.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFightNguyen For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-16-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM
dkmesa350z

my wife's set it wusthof, it has been great. just stay away from their entry level line as there are better budget sets out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkmesa350z For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-16-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Absinthe

Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
I've been doing more cooking than usual lately and have come to the realization that the knives I have suck and I'd like better ones. Anyone have experience in this field? Suggestions on brands to buy or stay away from? I know very little about buying good ones but want to learn before spending money.
I've used Wusthof and Henckels and like elements of both. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, hand size and aesthetics. No matter what you pay for the knife, if it doesn't feel good in your hand, you won't use it. My wife and I took a weekend class on knife work at a local Williams & Sonoma. It gave both of us a chance to try out knives without buying them. Whatever you get, make sure you know how to sharpen them; nothing lasts forever
The Following User Says Thank You to Absinthe For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM
BLamb

Not sure how much traveling you do or if there's one in Houston, but in San Marcos they have a Williams Sonoma Outlet that usually has a bunch of "last years knives", can usually pick up a nice set from Wustorf, Henckels, or Shun at a pretty good discount. Only difference is the shape of the handle or color vs the latest and greatest at WS.
The Following User Says Thank You to BLamb For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
sniper27

Wusthof or nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to sniper27 For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by BLamb View Post
Not sure how much traveling you do or if there's one in Houston, but in San Marcos they have a Williams Sonoma Outlet that usually has a bunch of "last years knives", can usually pick up a nice set from Wustorf, Henckels, or Shun at a pretty good discount. Only difference is the shape of the handle or color vs the latest and greatest at WS.
I do travel a lot, but I live in Houston. There's not much (if anything) in San Marcos that they don't have in Houston. There's at least 3 WS that I know of around town.

But I do appreciate the info. I stay in San Antonio and drive to COTA for the F1 race so in November I'll stop by the San Marcos outlet to see if I can get one at a discount cause I'm frugal like that.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM
sniper27

See if you have a restaurant supply store. They are generally cheaper than WS...even the outlet. They may or may not have Wusthof, but the stuff there are almost always better than what the consumer store sells.
The Following User Says Thank You to sniper27 For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM
BLamb

Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
I do travel a lot, but I live in Houston. There's not much (if anything) in San Marcos that they don't have in Houston. There's at least 3 WS that I know of around town.

But I do appreciate the info. I stay in San Antonio and drive to COTA for the F1 race so in November I'll stop by the San Marcos outlet to see if I can get one at a discount cause I'm frugal like that.

Thanks for the tip.
No problem, I was told by my brother who works at the polo store down there that the outlet at San Marcos has been ranked the 3rd best place to shop in the world. They've got tour busses from Mexico that come up and huge hotels they've built around it for people coming down to shop there. The prime side has the better stores, the tanger one I typically don't go to.

I really like the look and feel of Shun knives, I registered for some for our wedding, only negative I've really heard about them is you have to be careful to not jam the tip of the knife into something frozen then try and pry with it. Generally a good thing not to do with a nice knife anyway though haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to BLamb For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Rad_Slinger

Wusthof.

I hand pieced my current set together into a JA henkels block. All are wusthof classics except the cleaver and the steel which are JA henkels.

My current set (about 7 years old) includes:
10" offset bread
8" Santoku
7" bread
7" sandwich
7" chef's
5" tomato
5" steak x4
3" paring
3" Santoku
Scissors
Hand sharpener

I elected to hand piece my set together because the premade sets had some stuff I'd never use. It costs a little more to do it this way (my set was around $700 with getting some blades on sale and in sets), but in the end you'll have a set that you can completely use rather than a few pieces that never make it out of the block.

So my set as I have said is 7 years old. It has no pitting, rust, cracks, or signs of wear (other than the etching on the blades has worn off). They NEVER see the insnide of the dishwasher, NEVER used on anything but bamboo blocks and are still dangerously razor sharp.

Honestly, it depends how much you're going to cook, but no matter how little you cook, I would stay away from the chefmate, and ones made for target/Walmart. You can always piecemale smaller sets together as they make blocks in all shapes, sizes and brands that hold all sorts of different quantities. Then later add to it if you need more and just change your block.

Hand feel (as stated above) is very important. Make sure you go to a WS before you decide to spend money. They will let you mess with them a little before purchasing. It's a great way to grab one like you mean it.

In the end, it's just like everything else...you get what you pay for. I would highly recommend any of the Wusthof sets. JA Henkels sets are good too. And of course there are much higher end commercial sets out there that cost upwards of around $2000+.

I am by no means a professional cook or kitchen knife expert, but this is just what I did and how I felt about the process.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 08-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rad_Slinger For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Great info guys. I really appreciate it. I'm probably going to go to WS today to try out a few. Rad, the advice to buy individual knives is something I have been told before and makes sense as a way to get a much higher quality and more expensive set of knives without dumping a huge amount of cash all at once. I'll probably start with a good 8" chefs knife and build around that.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 PM
MikeKiloDelta

We have a set of Cutco knives at home. They're kinda pricey but I got a discount from my cousin who was a salesman. Their marketing tactics are a bit annoying but their knives are some of the best I've ever used. They're also the parent company to KA-BAR, the designers of the Marine Corps KABAR which a lot of Marines trust their lives with and if they're good enough for the USMC, they're good enough for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanks. Not looking for something to stab anyone more efficiently, looking for better kitchen utensils.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Glenn2008

It looks like everyone has the same knives as we do. We've had ours for several years now and they are still sharp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kitchen knives

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.