slowg562
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in for one, please add me to the list Rochester
Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
One more to go before we hit 10. Wow. That was quick.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Entcee
Which one are you going with? I have the OEM cover, but who know if I'll upgraded at some point.
Me? Personally?

I'm getting the brace designed for the OEM diff cover. As much as I'd like to have an aftermarket diff cover, I can only justify it as a vanity modification. Unless you course-track the car (like 4DRZ does), the need for additional cooling in your diff is low to non-existent. Don't get me wrong, there's zero things wrong with a vanity mod, but $200 for something shiny underneath the car, I just can't rationalize that. (Well, I could , but I won't, LOL)

What helps me make that decision is the brace for the OEM diff cover is a two-point bolt to the frame, whereas the other is a single-bolt. And while I'm sure both are solid as a rock, and I'm no mechanical engineer, it still helps me make my choice not to upgrade the diff cover.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Me? Personally?

I'm getting the brace designed for the OEM diff cover. As much as I'd like to have an aftermarket diff cover, I can only justify it as a vanity modification. Unless you course-track the car (like 4DRZ does), the need for additional cooling in your diff is low to non-existent. Don't get me wrong, there's zero things wrong with a vanity mod, but $200 for something shiny underneath the car, I just can't rationalize that. (Well, I could , but I won't, LOL)

What helps me make that decision is the brace for the OEM diff cover is a two-point bolt to the frame, whereas the other is a single-bolt. And while I'm sure both are solid as a rock, and I'm no mechanical engineer, it still helps me make my choice not to upgrade the diff cover.
Yes, I was asking you personally

I don't track the car (yet), but do go on extended spirited driving runs through the mountains of NC. This is my only reason for wanting the Z1 cover. Well, that and vanity as you said.

I did reach out to Bell Raceworks to inquire specifically about the difference in bracing between the 2 because, for the same reasons as you, I was leaning toward the OEM cover brace. His reply has changed my mind, however.

Originally Posted by Bell Raceworks
In my opinion they're both more then adequate and we believe the Z1 style brace actually is stronger since it's a much shorter distance between mounting points and the OEM style brace is extra braced like you see it so that it is strong enough to do the job. If you look at the way the Z1 brace is made almost all the load is applied up and down on a single piece of flat steel which is braced on the back side Vs the standard brace which has to span about 11" between two bolts making it easier to bend without the extra 90° bend in the brace. Hope this info helps, and if I had to answer I'd say the Z1 would be the best option if you plan on getting a finned cover in the near future. Thanks.

Last edited by Entcee; 01-09-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hahaha, nice. Welp, that's exactly why I keep saying things like "I'm not an engineer".

In that same context, I'm kind of uncomfortable with the large "B" cut-out in the brace, but for no particular reason.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Hahaha, nice. Welp, that's exactly why I keep saying things like "I'm not an engineer".

In that same context, I'm kind of uncomfortable with the large "B" cut-out in the brace, but for no particular reason.
I thought about that "B" as well. I guess my only question is why they have a standard brace. Why not just sell the "Z1" brace since they are both more than adequate?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Entcee
I thought about that "B" as well. I guess my only question is why they have a standard brace. Why not just sell the "Z1" brace since they are both more than adequate?

I get the impression this became a thing for the G35/350Z first. Then maybe Z1 worked with him to come up with a brace that would fit the Z1 diff cover (or vise versa).

Aw heck, I don't know. Bell said he might create a membership here and chime in. Let's see what happens.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I’m in for one.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Corprin
I’m in for one.
And there it is. Corprin makes 10 people on the Group Buy.

Next step is to see if Bell Raceworks wants to close the Group Buy and hand out promo codes, or keep this open for a while.

Hang tight, amigos.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Throw me on the list, please. Thank you for arranging this group buy Rochester. Super glad 4DRZ pulled the trigger.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by nelledge
Throw me on the list, please. Thank you for arranging this group buy Rochester. Super glad 4DRZ pulled the trigger.
You're in, nelledge.

Talked to Bell Raceworks just now, and the group buy ends tomorrow. So if anyone is on the fence, you've got tonight to think it over.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What exactly are the benefits of this part? I would be interested if it makes sense of spending $100.00
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Keeps the differential from hopping up and down, and to some extent, sideways during throttle changes. You get quicker reaction to the throttle and longer life from the diff bushing.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Keeps the differential from hopping up and down, and to some extent, sideways during throttle changes. You get quicker reaction to the throttle and longer life from the diff bushing.
So this fixes or shall I say, improves the throttle lag we all experience in this car?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 PM
thezinfan
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What's the installation like? Is this straight bolt-on, or is there some disassembly required? I'd be looking at the OEM brace.

Quick Reply: GB Bell Raceworks Rear Differential Brace