Group Buys Group Buys put on by Members or Sponsors

GB Racing Brake 2pc front and 2pc rear rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks soundmike: what kind of track duty? How long and intense were the stints?

Any fade or other overheating-related issues?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Welcome.

HPDE's mostly, mixed in with a few one-on-one instructor classes.

Here's the track layout/specifications. It's fairly easy on the brakes. Longest session would be about 20-25m.

Haven't really experienced any type of fading, which may have to do with the wheels i also used on these (Nismo A34s and once with the Enkei RP03s) which are rather "airy." Granted, i am far from a professional and will not push the car beyond my comfort level. After all, it's still my daily driver. If it's any indication, i have both child seats still attached when hitting the course.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
ashmostro

awesome response, thanks again man.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a second set of pads/rotors for similar (HPDE-like). Plus my first stint is in November which means ambient temp will be loooow.

I'm running stock rotors and racingbrake ET500 pads. RBF 600 fluid with Z1 lines will be on by then.

The plan was to get a second set of OEM rotors with ET800 or racier pad. But if I can get away with ET500 or 800's on the 2-piece rotors for both street and track, I might save up for that and risk the et500's on stock rotors in November.

Any thoughts on that? I know it's all over the place, but I want to make a decision that makes practical sense.

Also, are you in a sedan or coupe?

cheers
Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
soundmike

Anytime.

This is your first time? Which track is it? I typically recommend you stick with what you have, just making sure the fluid is fresh (no more than a couple weeks since last refresh) and the pads have more than 1/2 (or 2/3) material left in them.

The first few times will be about learning the lines, course and vehicle dynamics. You won't be placing nearly enough stress on the OEM set-up, IMHO, unless you just rag it right out of the bat (not ideal, but i've seen new/first-timers do it from sheer excitement of finally being on a track -- they're easy to spot as they're usually the first ones to spin-out, plow-through a corner, etc. )

After a few sessions you'll be able to determine what needs to be modified -- better fluid? more thermal capacity? higher temp pads?, etc...

p.s. '07 Sedan, 5AT, square set-up.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
ashmostro

First time out, yes. I'm looking forward to learning... that's how I'm approaching it. I will not be a hotshoe noob that crashes by over driving (crossing fingers).

Will for sure have fresh fluid and fresh pads. I'm a pretty decent shade tree wrench so I will know if there is something that needs replacing before the outing. Will do that a couple weeks prior. Tires are Michelin PSS in coupe fitment. Will be 85% tread by then, I'm guessing.

I'm also planning on installing an oil cooler, because I'm told the car *will* go into limp mode even with light tracking. Agree?

Also have been recommended a tranny cooler for my 7AT, but I don't think I will stress the tranny enough due to a) track newbie and b) November weather. Also agree?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
ashmostro

Oh, and the track is Summit Point in West Virginia.

This is the track: Summit Point

This is the event: Friday at the Track
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
soundmike

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I'm looking forward to learning...
That there is the best approach. You'll have fun for sure, and chances are by noon you'll be pushing it further.

Can't provide much input on the coolers, but from what i've read, the 3.7s tend to overheat more than the 3.5s. I ran at the peak of summer TX heat without issue. For this first time, you should be okay, but invest in the coolers if you plan on going more frequently. Then again, you can't be too careful and having the coolers is good "insurance" whether you're on or off the track.

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Oh, and the track is Summit Point in West Virginia.
Nice. Love the slight elevation changes. Turns 4-8 will be giving your brakes some work-out.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
ashmostro

Good man. Nice to chat with someone who has actually done this in one of our cars.

I think I will do the oil cooler because I don't want my session cut short for a stupid reason like that. As for the tranny, probably just going to do a flush and hopefully my lack of talent and the weather will keep it cool enough for the first time out.

Still unsure about the brakes. Will def get track pads... maybe second rotor set. Gotta figure that one out and see where I am financially- maybe I'll be in a position to get the RB rotors! A mean can dream, lol...

And yeah, I like the look of the track. Not too technical, or too many low-speed corners. Nice mix!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Thanks for the input bro! I'm going to call them and see what they can do. Would anyone else be interested in a group buy on the full set?

I'm looking to cure the Akebono BBK rotor warping for good!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
soundmike

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I'm looking to cure the Akebono BBK rotor warping for good!
It's the pads, not the rotors. Nissan pads are notorious for uneven deposits, causing that warping feeling.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Sheesh, they must be caking on the coating then. I don't even brake from high speed. Just normal braking from 80 mph highway speeds and my steering wheel judders.

Do you think I could do better than the pricing they have listed on the website? I'm trying to get some interest going for a group buy on these of 4-5 people for a full set of rotors, pads and braided stainless steel lines.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Dvg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump, still interested in the group buy
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Anyone who is interested in the Racing Brake 2pc rotors should seriously get them. I've had them on my car for about 6 months and I will say that the increase in braking performance is dramatic. These are the brakes that the G37S SHOULD have come with. There is less pedal effort and the brakes do not even feel like they're being taxed hard at all, which is a lot more than I could say for the stock rotors/pads. There is not an aggressive first bite when the brakes are applied, but the harder you press the pedal, the stopping power seems to increase exponentially, without over-powering the tires. If your stock rotors are needing replacement or you have to keep turning them because they're warping, then this upgrade is a MUST-DO!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM
vwalkerg37

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
is this GB still going? would like price on front and rear, ss lines, and pads shipped to 92592
Vic
Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 AM
LatinMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this GB still going on and will it fit my 08 G35S sedan?? would like price on front and rear, ss lines, and pads shipped to 75025