General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Heated/Cooled Seat on P/S Comes on for 7 sec Then Goes off

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:23 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Heated/Cooled Seat on P/S Comes on for 7 sec Then Goes off

So I searched on another forum and found that it could be several things so I started with the least expensive, easiest to get to fix and it didn't work-the switch. My 2014 Q60s Convertible has the heated/cooled seats and the d/s works fine, lights up, fan kicks on and works flawlessly. The p/s lights up for exactly seven seconds, fan doesn't come on then it goes off, in both modes. So I was hoping it was the switch, $108 plus install later and it still does it. I removed the middle console myself and played with the plug a little and got it to stay on and work for exactly a day, but then it did it again. Appears to be some type of short but I don't know where to go next. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Although it looks nice 100 degree days in texas makes it less desirable to drive without cooled seats!

Thought this was the culprit-NOPE!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It's a bad switch try swapping passenger to driver and see if it starts working before you buy a new switch
Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

I already bought one and tried it (cheapest place to start) and it comes on, but then shorts out after seven seconds exactly, on heated or cooled. Fan doesn't come on, no air blowing or temp change in the seat. I wiggled the new switch back and forth in the harness and I got it to come on, stayed on for about a day then went back to glitching. I have it at my shop again having them test the wires in the harness/plug hopefully we can isolate it to maybe a pinched wire or short of some sort. But it wasn't the switch after all, and it does come on, but just sporadically. Any other ideas?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Maybe relay
Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
If wiggling the new switch causes occasionally correct operation, it seems like you've isolated the problem to that area. Close inspection of the connector for loose pins, frayed wires, or any melting. Or possibly a harness or ground point issue? Hopefully the shop can pinpoint it for you and get it to work consistently.

I can't find the service manual for your car. Closest is 2013 G37 convertible here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Convertible/2013/

"SE.pdf" shows some info about the "climate controlled" seats; relays, blowers, control module location, etc.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
If wiggling the new switch causes occasionally correct operation, it seems like you've isolated the problem to that area. Close inspection of the connector for loose pins, frayed wires, or any melting. Or possibly a harness or ground point issue? Hopefully the shop can pinpoint it for you and get it to work consistently.

I can't find the service manual for your car. Closest is 2013 G37 convertible here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Convertible/2013/

"SE.pdf" shows some info about the "climate controlled" seats; relays, blowers, control module location, etc.
That's what I thought, but playing a tennis match back and forth with my guy there at the shop. He says he will test each wire and inspect connectors, though.

Checked all relays and fuses. Not that.

Control module does come on and close inspection with the light shows nothing burnt out or shorted. Gotta be the harness/plug/wires then? Grounding issue-good idea. Will check that.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Does switch kick off when you test it on passenger side if so might be issue with seat

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

D/S works perfectly as it should. P/S comes on, stays on for seven seconds (heat or cool) and then goes off. Repeats itself forever. Just got it back today from my independent they checked all wires, fuses relays and checked for any pinched wires or broken wires-all good. They inspected the control unit the best they could with flashlight and didn't see any burnt or melted connections that others have suggested. It might be time to bite the bullet and take it to infiniti dealer. Uggggh! Not liking this car anymore. May be time to part with it. Too many complex electronic quirky issues.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

Update... D/S now does the same thing. GREAT! Two heated/cooled seats don't work and headrest speakers don't work! 30,100 miles...fantastic Infiniti quality. Uggggh. Going to stealership tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Wonder if harness got damaged from water
Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 AM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

Update: Took to dealer and they said BOTH d/s and p/s harnesses are out. Went out close to the same time. Car has been dry, weather has been dry. Went to car wash at the dealer a couple of times but no signs whatsoever of leaks anywhere so I doubt that's it. Harness is actually on bottom of seat not even close to the floor so you'd have to have a good 6" of water in the cabin to actually "wet" the harnesses.

So... $800 for drivers installed (I did it). Passengers they claim you can only replace the entire seat, which is $7k list, $5k after discounts. 1/3rd of what my car is worth for a flipping seat! Unreal. Reason is they claim is due to the airbag sensor for weight and where it is on the seat bottom, the harness is ONLY available to be purchased with the seat, although it certainly appears that you can buy it, you can't. So my options right now are to live with it, maybe try to find another convertible seat to switch out OR maybe see if I can get a seat guy to take it apart and replace or fix the harness?

Does this make sense? Sounds crazy right????
Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Thanks for updating the thread. Yeah, 5k to fix this small comfort feature IS insane! How do these harnesses "go bad"? Unless they're underrated for the current they're carrying and the connectors somehow melt out of contact, I just don't understand. But you've replaced the drivers side harness and it's back to full function?

If you're not getting an airbag or SRS warning light then that part of the p/s harness is fine. If it were me I'd unbolt that seat and see if I could figure out what's melted, or whatever. I would think an electronics oriented shop could actually repair your existing harness without interfering with the SRS, but I don't know. It's a drag to not have all of the car's systems fully functional...
Old 09-27-2019, 09:08 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
There have been reports before of the harness connector at the climate control unit "melting" on the 'vert:

Melting Connector See Post #16

My best guess is that the blower for the seat draws too much current for the gauge wire used in the harness. Just a guess, but for BOTH seat harnesses to go bad indicates to me that there is either a underlying cause for these problems (flood vehicle) or the car is a sour lemon...

The seat harness can be replaced. As 13_SkylineSedan suggested, any competent electronics shop can diagnose/repair your existing harness (surprised your indy shop didn't diagnose the issue) as I am sure the circuit for the SRS/Occupancy Sensor is intact (else you would have a SRS light).

I was able to buy both seat harnesses off eBay for about $50 back when I did my headrest swap project. I will look through my paperwork and see if I have the P/S harness part number.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Wrap harness connections with heat shrink and plastic wrap to keep moisture out along with terminal grease on connection