General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Door Actuator, ECUTEK Tune, Dealer/Warranty... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Door Actuator, ECUTEK Tune, Dealer/Warranty... Help?

So I just had my car tuned a few days ago and the door actuator broke this morning. I couldn't get the door to close and then once it was closed it wouldn't open and I had to climb in through the window in from of all these parents at my kids school like an idiot. Dealer said they can't get me in until 3/11 to diagnose replace.

Once the car warmed up the door opened and closed fine again. The service adviser said they can still diagnose and figure out the issue even if the lock is working when I bring it in. So now my concern is, are they going to do some kind of computer diagnostic and discover that I'm running an Ecutek flash while trying to find this issue and void my warranty? I know the door locks have nothing to do with the powertrain warranty that could potentially be voided, but got forbid that gallery gasket blows before the warranty is up this fall, I'd rather not have to cover that out of pocket if I can avoid it lol.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I'm not sure about the tune question, but the lock failing when its cold is something a number of people have posted about on here..in fact just in the last month or two there was a pretty active thread on it... its most likely that it just needs to be lubricated...
The following users liked this post:
nonlinearedits (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I'll try lubricating it tonight. I'm trying to get my money's worth out of the extended warranty before it's up in July lol. so if I can get them to replace what they quote as a $700 job I'd be happy lmfao. I should have searched first, I assumed this was an uncommon issue, I'll go try to look up those posts, thanks dude!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The dealer may note the aftermarket tune but won't do anything more that flash an OEM tune back into the ECU. The tune in no way caused the door problem so they can't claim the tune as the source of the problem. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Don't let the dealer bully you about it. You'll need to get with your tuner to talk about saving your license key, though.
The following users liked this post:
nonlinearedits (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:26 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
I'll try lubricating it tonight. I'm trying to get my money's worth out of the extended warranty before it's up in July lol. so if I can get them to replace what they quote as a $700 job I'd be happy lmfao. I should have searched first, I assumed this was an uncommon issue, I'll go try to look up those posts, thanks dude!
NP. I feel your pain ..I remember it being super embarrassing when it happened to me at work a few years ago and I had to crawl over to get out (I'm not a little guy and its not a subtle thing to see)....I have had my G for 8 years now and it happened a few times during really cold winter days in the first few years when I was parking in an underground parking lot at night and outside during the day....I assumed it was because of the rapid temp /humidity change or something...hasn't happened to me at all in a few years now though and I didn't change any parts...

..see post #13 in this thread for a really good description on how to lube the lock https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...esistance.html

If they treat it as a failing actuator they may change the part and that should solve it anyways as the new part will be lubricated but thats all it probably is.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Yea haha I'm 6' 240lbs, climbing around my car was quite the task hahaha. I'll def try spraying the lock. I meant to do it last night but never got around to it. I think this is definitely the issue because once the car is warm the lock works.