General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Terminology request

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 PM
KCCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminology request

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for the proper terminology for two exterior parts. The part number would be a bonus.

1) Plastic cover piece that protects the front undercarriage from scraping on the street.
I need to know what this is called, because mine is coming off and is literally dragging on the ground. Going to a dealership in the morning to get it checked, but hopefully can get the proper terminology for future reference. Any additional comments about replacing this part would be appreciated too.

2) Also plastic piece, on the inner section of the front driver's side tire. It's coming loose also and if it comes too loose, the tire will scrape against it during hard left turns. So far just kind of shoving it back in by hand has worked, but getting it formally fixed is on the table (see above).
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
1) I believe you mean the undertray.
2) fender liner.

Try here for part numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by slartibartfast:
KCCO (01-23-2019), llebcire (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Would help if you provided some information about your car: Coupe/Sedan, year, AWD?
- The lower panel (under the engine) is called a SPLASH SHIELD. Should cost $100-$150 but you can get a metal aftermarket splash shield for around $125 which is much better quality than the plastic OEM thing.
- The plastic piece for the wheel well is called a FENDER LINER. Depending on your car, costs run $65-75 ea. for the front and rear liner, so about $150+/- per wheel well. There are no aftermarket options AFAIK for the fender liner(s).
Again, without details about your car I can't provide part numbers and accurate prices but be careful with the dealership. Their prices are often way too high compared to online, reputable part suppliers.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Snips of the service manual for a 2011 sedan - if you can't find the parts with slartibartfast's description (most common and accurate) the parts from Infiniti may be called
1) Engine Lower Cover
2) Fender Protector

-Eric

The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Regarding the metal splash shield, be cautious if you intend to lower your car. I banged the sway bar brackets several times before learning how much I had to slow down for bigger road bumps and dips. I'm sure my shield is scraped pretty good there. BTW, my drop is pretty modest, too.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Regarding the metal splash shield, be cautious if you intend to lower your car. I banged the sway bar brackets several times before learning how much I had to slow down for bigger road bumps and dips. I'm sure my shield is scraped pretty good there. BTW, my drop is pretty modest, too.
Do you have the ZSpeed or TBW tray?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:22 PM
KCCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) I believe you mean the undertray.
2) fender liner.

Try here for part numbers.
This did the trick, thanks!

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Would help if you provided some information about your car: Coupe/Sedan, year, AWD?
- The lower panel (under the engine) is called a SPLASH SHIELD. Should cost $100-$150 but you can get a metal aftermarket splash shield for around $125 which is much better quality than the plastic OEM thing.
- The plastic piece for the wheel well is called a FENDER LINER. Depending on your car, costs run $65-75 ea. for the front and rear liner, so about $150+/- per wheel well. There are no aftermarket options AFAIK for the fender liner(s).
Again, without details about your car I can't provide part numbers and accurate prices but be careful with the dealership. Their prices are often way too high compared to online, reputable part suppliers.
Good luck!
Apologies for the lack of details. I was sleepy and anxious. 2008 coupe, for reference. The link provided got me pointed in the right direction

The car is already lowered by 2", but the current cover is plastic, for whatever that's worth. Still though, I hate hearing it scrape, so I try to slow down pretty significantly at intersections. Intersections 'round here are so god awfully uneven that I feel like going 20MPH through an intersection will result in the whole damn bottom getting torn out! None-the-less, the shield is falling apart and I feel will one day soon indeed just be torn off.

I've since been to a local dealership and they're trying to charge almost $2,000 for the two parts and a few others. I'll start a new thread outlining the details.