MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions-315/)
-   -   Car not starting after being unused (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/290336-car-not-starting-after-being-unused.html)

itshere 10-09-2018 11:53 AM

Car not starting after being unused

Hi all -

Had this a few times already but if I don't drive my car for over a week or 2 - I cant start it. Its not the battery because I recently changed it. As soon as I connect the booster cables it starts immediately and runs perfectly, then I can turn off and on no problem. Is it weather related? even though it hasn't been that cold in Toronto the last 2 weeks. Gas was about a quarter full.

** not sure if its somehow related but my trunk lights doesn't work anymore either - I replaced the bulbs but it seems like there's a different issue.

any help is appreciated thanks!

JSolo 10-09-2018 12:57 PM

Does the car crank at all? I'd check the battery voltage when you're having the issue. What's the voltage with the car running at idle, running at ~2K rpm?

Bostonreefer 10-10-2018 09:00 AM

How cheap did you go on the new battery. What your describing points to a battery.

telcoman 10-10-2018 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by itshere (Post 4217164)
Hi all -

Had this a few times already but if I don't drive my car for over a week or 2 - I cant start it. Its not the battery because I recently changed it. As soon as I connect the booster cables it starts immediately and runs perfectly, then I can turn off and on no problem. Is it weather related? even though it hasn't been that cold in Toronto the last 2 weeks. Gas was about a quarter full.

** not sure if its somehow related but my trunk lights doesn't work anymore either - I replaced the bulbs but it seems like there's a different issue.

any help is appreciated thanks!

Use a battery hydrometer to measure the specific gravity in each cell
Attachment 183766
Any cell not accepting a full charge is the cause of your problem. Replace the battery
Just because you replaced the battery doesn't mean all the cells are good.

Telcoman

itshere 10-11-2018 10:11 AM

yea ~ 2K RPM if not a little less.

JSolo 10-11-2018 05:09 PM

^^To whom are you replying? Please rephrase your statement.

Epiphany 10-12-2018 12:18 AM

It's definitely the battery. Either it's not holding a charge, or the car is draining the charge. Got a remote starter by chance?

crookncastle 10-12-2018 02:14 AM

you either got a parasitic draw or that battery you go is a piece of cr ap. you stated with a battery jumper/booster the car starts up so now you would need to either recharge or replace the battery then check how many milliamps of current is being drawn on the battery. if there is little of no draw, 50 milliamps or less, ditch the battery and get a new one.

itshere 10-12-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Epiphany (Post 4217482)
It's definitely the battery. Either it's not holding a charge, or the car is draining the charge. Got a remote starter by chance?

I do have a remote charger (after market one)

itshere 10-12-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jsolo (Post 4217445)
^^To whom are you replying? Please rephrase your statement.

replied to your question.

JSolo 10-12-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jsolo (Post 4217173)
Does the car crank at all? I'd check the battery voltage when you're having the issue. What's the voltage with the car running at idle, running at ~2K rpm?

Originally Posted by itshere (Post 4217365)
yea ~ 2K RPM if not a little less.

Originally Posted by itshere (Post 4217550)
replied to your question.

Does the car crank at all - answer: yes/no
Voltage when the car is running at idle - answer: Some number with a V at the end
Voltage with the car running at ~2Krpm - answer: Some number with a V at the end

Your answer above is meaningless. Post #7 is asking about a remote starter. What is a remote charger?? Remember, GIGO...

Epiphany 10-13-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by itshere (Post 4217540)
I do have a remote charger (after market one)

Either that's draining your battery or your battery is shot. Figure out which and problem solved.