General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Possible to convert from push start to turn key?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Possible to convert from push start to turn key?

Wanted to know if it is possible to change the push start button to an old school turn key. Kind of hate the FOB and push start button since you don't really get a good feel of the car's mechanics when starting it up. Has anyone changed from a push start to a turn key? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Can you change it? Sure, just bring money.

Has anyone changed it? Your guess is as good as mine.
The following users liked this post:
Joyryde (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
..........since you don't really get a good feel of the car's mechanics when starting it up. .
Huh?

You bought the wrong car!

Telcoman
Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Can you change it? Sure, just bring money.

Has anyone changed it? Your guess is as good as mine.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm still researching this if it's possible. Know some guys in Dallas have done it with a 70s Challenger when they swapped the engine with a Scatpack Challenger 2015.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by telcoman
Huh?

You bought the wrong car!

Telcoman
They should have kept the key like in the G35 V35 generation instead of switching to FOBs. Too much issues with fobs.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
What exactly is the problem with the PTS?

I understand that some G's had the electronic steering column lock issues, but Nissan deleted these in later years. The steering column in my 2014 doesn't lock. I could see worry about it, as my 2016 GTI had electronic locking steering column, I always worried when it would fail.

I have swapped newer Nissan drivetrains into older Nissans. The PTS button isn't much different than some of Nissan's NATS key systems prior to the PTS systems. The BIG difference between a NATS key system and a PTS system is the NATS key setups have traditional steering wheel locks. The PTS require a complicated and failure-prone electronic system to lock the column.

The difference between the NATS system and even older Nissan ignition keys is the RFID used to communicate between the key (same as the FOB in PTS cars) and the ECU/NATS interface module. Unfortunately, even the Nissan NATS system was just as restricted as the PTS system, as your ECU/NATS module MUST all agree on the RFID being valid. When I would swap, say a 2004 VQ35DE into a 90's Maxima, I would need to purchase the ECU, NATS interface and the original keys all together from the same car (just easier to get a donor vehicle at this point). I could imagine almost ZERO dealers would help me reprogram a key, NATS interface and ECU on a frankenstein car (heck, how to even troubleshoot it without a working key?)

My point is, you COULD install a basic ignition switch that could be hacked to take place of your PTS button. But, I suppose it is not the reliability of the button you are concerned about, but some other part of the PTS system? I HIGHLY doubt that Nissan has a compatible NATS ignition lock assembly that would bolt up to our column to provide steering wheel column lock, if that was your concern.

And your ECU will NEVER allow the car to start without recognizing a FOB. Even if you hacked up the mechanicals of your PTS system, you'd still need a FOB stashed somewhere for the ECU to read.
Joyryde (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
First what do you mean you "don't get a feel of the cars mechanics" without an ignition switch? Cars that still have ignition switches really aren't even "mechanical" anymore. I hit the switch in our 2015 Ram for even a 1/4 second and let go and the truck is still going to crank til it starts.

What's the problems with FOB's? I have a keyless FOB in my 2011 Lancer and haven't experienced even a hiccup. My mom has had them in both her Rogue's with no problem. I don't know a single person that has experienced problems with FOBs.

Is there really "too many problems with FOB's" or is it something else you're trying to justify by just saying that?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by stealthee
First what do you mean you "don't get a feel of the cars mechanics" without an ignition switch? Cars that still have ignition switches really aren't even "mechanical" anymore. I hit the switch in our 2015 Ram for even a 1/4 second and let go and the truck is still going to crank til it starts.

What's the problems with FOB's? I have a keyless FOB in my 2011 Lancer and haven't experienced even a hiccup. My mom has had them in both her Rogue's with no problem. I don't know a single person that has experienced problems with FOBs.

Is there really "too many problems with FOB's" or is it something else you're trying to justify by just saying that?
It doesn't feel like a driver's car when you start it up. It feels like a computer you click the power button. All new cars do this crap and it makes me get a sense that the car isn't serious. Guess it has to do with personal preference since I don't like any new cars at all and probably never will with the direction all of them are going to including Nissan/Infiniti when they started using the sh*t Mercedes inline 4 2.0t engine. But, I will say once you get the car going it does feel like a driver's car. Just sad they had to put a crap ton of gadgets for consumerism. I wish they did away with the screen too, since I barely even use that, just a nuisance.

Scotty explains perfectly my reasoning for why I hate the fobs, and am glad he actually addressed this:
Didn't really want to post all of the reasons since it would be a word wall, but I'm sure you get the idea. Also had an issue when the battery was low and I couldn't turn over the engine with the push start button and had the brake pedal stuck because of that dumb feature. Was hard to turn her over when she was jacked and felt that it could have broken a brake line or mess up the fluid flow. Again, personal preference and experience. Now you know a single person with the issue
Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by takemorepills
What exactly is the problem with the PTS?

I understand that some G's had the electronic steering column lock issues, but Nissan deleted these in later years. The steering column in my 2014 doesn't lock. I could see worry about it, as my 2016 GTI had electronic locking steering column, I always worried when it would fail.

I have swapped newer Nissan drivetrains into older Nissans. The PTS button isn't much different than some of Nissan's NATS key systems prior to the PTS systems. The BIG difference between a NATS key system and a PTS system is the NATS key setups have traditional steering wheel locks. The PTS require a complicated and failure-prone electronic system to lock the column.

The difference between the NATS system and even older Nissan ignition keys is the RFID used to communicate between the key (same as the FOB in PTS cars) and the ECU/NATS interface module. Unfortunately, even the Nissan NATS system was just as restricted as the PTS system, as your ECU/NATS module MUST all agree on the RFID being valid. When I would swap, say a 2004 VQ35DE into a 90's Maxima, I would need to purchase the ECU, NATS interface and the original keys all together from the same car (just easier to get a donor vehicle at this point). I could imagine almost ZERO dealers would help me reprogram a key, NATS interface and ECU on a frankenstein car (heck, how to even troubleshoot it without a working key?)

My point is, you COULD install a basic ignition switch that could be hacked to take place of your PTS button. But, I suppose it is not the reliability of the button you are concerned about, but some other part of the PTS system? I HIGHLY doubt that Nissan has a compatible NATS ignition lock assembly that would bolt up to our column to provide steering wheel column lock, if that was your concern.

And your ECU will NEVER allow the car to start without recognizing a FOB. Even if you hacked up the mechanicals of your PTS system, you'd still need a FOB stashed somewhere for the ECU to read.
Holy sh*t! You know your stuff no doubt! Thanks for giving me a big red pill to swallow. In essence it would be possible, only if I went to the different ECU route with the help of a donor car? I've seen some 370Zs run standalone ECUs and maybe this could help with my goal, or is highly unlikely? Also, I assume this would also affect OBDII codes where they can spew out errors when in time for emission tests? I just want to partake on this because I feel it would make the car feel more raw, as that is what I'm looking for. I am also going to ask a reputable shop I am heading to tomorrow to see if it is done since they've worked on a lot of Nissans/Infinitis. Thanks for the awesome write up man! Appreciate it
Old 08-05-2018, 11:28 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

It doesn't feel like a driver's car when you start it up. It feels like a computer you click the power button. All new cars do this crap and it makes me get a sense that the car isn't serious. Guess it has to do with personal preference since I don't like any new cars at all and probably never will with the direction all of them are going to including Nissan/Infiniti when they started using the sh*t Mercedes inline 4 2.0t engine. But, I will say once you get the car going it does feel like a driver's car. Just sad they had to put a crap ton of gadgets for consumerism. I wish they did away with the screen too, since I barely even use that, just a nuisance.

Scotty explains perfectly my reasoning for why I hate the fobs, and am glad he actually addressed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbhHcxscu4Q&vl=en
Didn't really want to post all of the reasons since it would be a word wall, but I'm sure you get the idea. Also had an issue when the battery was low and I couldn't turn over the engine with the push start button and had the brake pedal stuck because of that dumb feature. Was hard to turn her over when she was jacked and felt that it could have broken a brake line or mess up the fluid flow. Again, personal preference and experience. Now you know a single person with the issue
Holy sh*t! You know your stuff no doubt! Thanks for giving me a big red pill to swallow. In essence it would be possible, only if I went to the different ECU route with the help of a donor car? I've seen some 370Zs run standalone ECUs and maybe this could help with my goal, or is highly unlikely? Also, I assume this would also affect OBDII codes where they can spew out errors when in time for emission tests? I just want to partake on this because I feel it would make the car feel more raw, as that is what I'm looking for. I am also going to ask a reputable shop I am heading to tomorrow to see if it is done since they've worked on a lot of Nissans/Infinitis. Thanks for the awesome write up man! Appreciate it
I hear where you are coming from on some of your points.

I leased my very first (and only!) German car 3 years ago, and it was packed with tech. Headlights swiveled with steering wheel, DSG trans, park itself, keep distance on cruise, electronic suspension, Android Auto etc. It was fun, but as expected not the most reliable car. I mean the damn car would close it's own windows if it began raining!

Infiniti also dabbled a bit with this stuff on our cars, they too had AFS and electronically locking steering column, both of which Infinit (and Nissan/370z) ended up dropping these items due to reliability/cost issues.

I would just leave the car alone. I ended up buying my 2014 as a way to hold off the march of technology, as my last car was too advanced. This car is right at my limits of what I can tolerate tech-wise. I feel it is still simple enough. Really, as a design released in late 2007, this car is very tech-deprived. Also, the tech it has is proven very reliable.

I have been around Nissan V6 RWD cars for a LONG time now. I am so glad Nissan/Infiniti is still making these cars. I have owned (2) Z31 300ZXs, (2) S12 200SX V6 SEs and a 1991 300ZX NA. These cars do embody the spirit of the old Nissans.

Although I like the tech in new cars, I think lately it has gone too far. Now cars are defined by their tech, can you imagine how silly a 1983 Accord would look if Honda installed Commodore computers in the dash?
Joyryde (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 11:50 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

I personally haven't touched a swap in 10 years now. But, when I was converting older chassis to newer swaps, most people doing these swaps were disabling or adapting-out advanced engine controls because they were using custom ECU setups. When I did that Maxima swap, the reason I went "full-blown" swap, entire CANBUS and OBD-II Advanced swap was so that I could retain the Nissan ECU which would maintain the variable valve timing and drive-by-wire that everyone else was adapting out. They'd convert to cable throttle body and remove the VTC actuators and make special plates to block the oil passages.
At that time, stand-alone engine management was more geared toward "off-road" vehicles and would NOT be EPA compliant, at all. In fact, I would guess that even new systems are still not EPA compliant, as compliance takes money and testing, not that these ECUs are "dirty". They would just need to go through a super-expensive verification process. I have never messed with stand-alone ECUs, but I would guess they likely don't have an OBD port, and if they did they would immediately show non-compliance for emissions, per law.
10 years ago, stand-alone ECUs usually meant giving up advanced engine functions. I do not know what is state-of-the-art these days, but our VQ37, with dual DBW TBs, dual MAFs and advanced valve control would be expensive to control with a stand-alone ECU. And, if you have the AT, you'd need to address that too. 10 years ago, Nissan ECU and TCM talked to each other on CANBUS. The older Nissan TCMs could tolerate no comms with ECU, but the VQ35 stuff needed to talk to each other. I would only guess these newer VQ37s and 7ATs are even more dependent on talking to each other to keep driveability good.
I would guess that if someone makes a stand-alone that could play with the G37 it would be $$$$. I wouldn't do it for an ignition key!

Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I hear where you are coming from on some of your points.

I leased my very first (and only!) German car 3 years ago, and it was packed with tech. Headlights swiveled with steering wheel, DSG trans, park itself, keep distance on cruise, electronic suspension, Android Auto etc. It was fun, but as expected not the most reliable car. I mean the damn car would close it's own windows if it began raining!

Infiniti also dabbled a bit with this stuff on our cars, they too had AFS and electronically locking steering column, both of which Infinit (and Nissan/370z) ended up dropping these items due to reliability/cost issues.

I would just leave the car alone. I ended up buying my 2014 as a way to hold off the march of technology, as my last car was too advanced. This car is right at my limits of what I can tolerate tech-wise. I feel it is still simple enough. Really, as a design released in late 2007, this car is very tech-deprived. Also, the tech it has is proven very reliable.

I have been around Nissan V6 RWD cars for a LONG time now. I am so glad Nissan/Infiniti is still making these cars. I have owned (2) Z31 300ZXs, (2) S12 200SX V6 SEs and a 1991 300ZX NA. These cars do embody the spirit of the old Nissans.

Although I like the tech in new cars, I think lately it has gone too far. Now cars are defined by their tech, can you imagine how silly a 1983 Accord would look if Honda installed Commodore computers in the dash?
Definitely agree with you man! I'd only buy an old German car, maybe a BMW E34 M5 or a BMW 2002. I'm actually really young compared to most users here, but I can't stand the technology in the new cars. And like you said most cars are defined by the gizmos and technology it has. I just want it basic and I do agree that the G37 is basic compared to the modern cars. The car has been good to me, but I probably have a lower limit to toleration to technology than you. I love the car and I think it looks really nice compared to most cars on the road today and it's highly underrated mostly because not a lot of people like VQs. I just go by the saying the navy always says "Keep It Simple Stupid."

Thank you for your post and the insightful advice. I really appreciate it
Old 08-06-2018, 01:12 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
@ "it doesn't feel like a drivers car"...I hope u got a manual since feeling like a drivers car is important to u. And this thread is crazy lol
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Scotty sounds like a f-ing idiot! Would probably like to have points & condensers make a comeback too?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
Scotty sounds like a f-ing idiot! Would probably like to have points & condensers make a comeback too?
And a crank sticking out of the grill to eliminate the starter, a carburetor, to eliminate fuel injection, and a spark advance lever on the steering column

Quick Reply: Possible to convert from push start to turn key?