General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Occupancy Sensor & Emulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
After following along 4DRZ's trials and tribulations with his seats, it is obvious that setting off airbags when "playing" with seat electronics is pretty easy. Thus my caution.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Lucky13S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
After following along 4DRZ's trials and tribulations with his seats, it is obvious that setting off airbags when "playing" with seat electronics is pretty easy. Thus my caution.
It really is easy to mess around and screw up your sensors, there are a bunch of nightmare stories out there that should be enough to make anyone think twice about touching their seats. Fortunately the clip for the airbag sensor is right in the front so you don't have to remove the seat or even unplug anything else to get to it. In cases like mine where the sensor is already toast there's no risk of damaging anything any further. One thing I had read going into it is that if the codes were thrown for an extended period of time they would be stored and unable to be clearly manually and that was not the case for me because I cleared them without a problem.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM
ElliotG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky13S
To put a close to this and for anyone who might search this subject in the future. The occupant sensor emulator I purchased from airbag360 fixed my issue and saved me a ton of money. It is very easy to install yourself; you simply unclip the sensor underneath the seat and plug the emulator in. That's literally it. You can then manually clear your airbag code and warning lights, a simple YouTube search will show you how to do that.

There are a few caveats to using this emulator sensor:

1) First and foremost is that your passenger airbag will ALWAYS be armed even when there is no passenger sitting in the seat! That is extremely important to remember because if you have a child in the front seat that the airbag would normally not arm for because they are too light, the airbag will still be armed.

2) Using the emulator means that the seat belt light will always be lit up if you don't either have the seat belt plugged in, disable the warning light or use what is called an emulator clip. An emulator clip is just the clip part of the seat belt that you can clip in to make it so the light stays off.

3) Passing inspection for me was easy because I was coming from work and had my lunch bag cooler with me. I clipped it into the seat with the seat belt to act like it was holding it in place. This didn't raise any suspicion thankfully but I'm sure an emulator clip would go unnoticed, I just didn't have enough time to order one and have it arrive before I had to have my inspection done.

I wanted to purchase a sensor out of a wrecked/parted out G37 but I just missed out on the only one I saw come up on eBay since I had started having my issue. You can buy a used passenger seat and use the sensor out of that you just have to make sure the sensor itself is working and get a guarantee that it will work when you purchase the seat. This route along with the time and labor involved is something you have to consider when deciding on which route to take. The fact that Infiniti charges $5000 just for the parts and assembly they say you need to be able to repair this through them is an absolute joke but I'm glad there are ways to avoid going dealing with them on this issue.
I bought the airbag360 emulator but which plug is the correct one under the seat? Do I need to disconnect the battery and unbolt the seat to access it?