General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Installed a GROM VLine kit, now have aux airbag problem...

Old 03-04-2018, 12:10 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Installed a GROM VLine kit, now have aux airbag problem...

So this is a cross post from the Grom thread, but I figured this might get more visibility...

I installed a Grom VLine into my G37 xS w/ Nav.

After I buttoned everything up, I have two warning lights that have come on. One is for the TPMS (which I'm not 100% sure isn't actually an issue. I've been having TPMS issues with one tire, but hadn't seen them in a couple weeks.) The second, is that I now have a flashing "Supplemental air bag warning light". I've NEVER had that light come on, so I'm assuming its related.

I removed the components via a youtube video I found, which involved removing the shifter boot and related plastic shroud, then all the front buttons and display, etc.

Any idea what I might have pulled/pushed on to cause this light to come on? I've driven the car a good 30 miles and the light hasn't gone out.

I've also attached it to an OBDII scanner, and there aren't any faults listed.

Any help is appreciated. Tomorrow I plan on pulling everything apart and seeing if I can clear the error after I remove all the cables again...
Old 03-04-2018, 01:33 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Someone answered my question on the other post...

Here's the solution for reference!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/281763-for-the-connected-car-carplay-like-experience-8.html#post4186281
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (03-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM
absentspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video quality

How's the video quality on your vline? I just put one in and I can't read any text in the menus it's all washed out. It is completely unusable...
Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
review of the Vline?

i bought their Wirelinq cable and returned it - audio kept cutting out, and no album art.

wasn't going to tear my interior apart for the Vline until i hear some reviews that its not a "beta product released for sale".
Old 07-01-2018, 02:24 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea if the VLINE was causing the TPMS issue? I just installed my VL2 and have the tire pressure warning light on.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm getting the TPMS warning light, too (sensor or system failure) right after installing my Vline2. I'm not a big believer in coincidences.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM
absentspace

TPMS Sensor went away

GROM exchanged my unit, which fixed the video issues I originally mentioned. I got all the flashing dash lights though.

My TPMS sensor light turned off after a few days at normal pressure. I reset my Airbag light using a tutorial on youtube. My service engine light has been on since the installation as well, have not figured out how to turn that one off. That's the last one that I need to get rid of.

VLINE v1 is still kind of disappointing. Alas, no support for the v2 on my 09 G37.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
For TPMS issues, I have a theory:

TPMS uses very low-strength wireless communication. Installing any device in your dash that has a constantly-on wifi connection is going to give the TPMS system trouble.

Just a guess, does the Grom have a wi-fi link to a hotspot?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
as i posted above, i don't think GROM even tests their products before release.

the Wirelinq cable was GARBAGE.

i figured for $50, it was worth getting for the album art and possibly slightly better sound on a wired connection.

in reality, the music info was all jacked up, and no album art at all. that wasn't the worst part ... the audio was HORRIBLE. it cut out every 5 seconds or so.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 AM
pburger
Registered Member

Originally Posted by takemorepills
For TPMS issues, I have a theory:

TPMS uses very low-strength wireless communication. Installing any device in your dash that has a constantly-on wifi connection is going to give the TPMS system trouble.

Just a guess, does the Grom have a wi-fi link to a hotspot?
I am tethering to my phone with Bluetooth, and I'm keeping the WIFI turned off on the Vline for now.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Just did the latest OTA updates for Vline and Firmware (July 16, 2018), and my TPMS light has gone off!! I haven't asked GROM about it yet, but it can't be another coincidence.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
absentspace

Originally Posted by pburger
Just did the latest OTA updates for Vline and Firmware (July 16, 2018), and my TPMS light has gone off!! I haven't asked GROM about it yet, but it can't be another coincidence.
All of my dash lights eventually went out on their own after about a week of driving around. I think this has to do with disconnecting the battery more than anything from Grom.

I haven't installed the latest firmware, as I can only connect to my WiFi if I park on the street, and not in my garage, but here's to hoping it makes the Vline a little less painful to use.

This is by far the most disappointing $500 purchase I have ever made. I previously owned a Grom bluetooth adapter several years ago that plugged into the CD input in my 2004 Civic. This product really worked as advertised, but obviously much simpler than the VLine. Judging by the hardware included, this thing is just significantly underpowered. Additionally, it just doesn't seem like Grom has good programers writing their ROMs. It's a shame that they didn't just make a device that adds AndroidAuto functionality to the car. That's what I really want anyway.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:49 PM
absentspace

Originally Posted by Landshark
as i posted above, i don't think GROM even tests their products before release.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they never put a VLine in an infiniti G37 ever. This is only slightly better than a beta product. The interface is mind blowingly frustrating.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

So I had my TPMS reset by Discount Tire using their wireless readers and a device that hooks up to the ODBII. My TPMS light was off for about a week and it just came back today. It is not the low pressure light, but rather the sensor failure blinking-then-steady light. Not sure if this is related to VLINE2? Hmmm.

Originally Posted by pburger
Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 AM
jdjurado
Registered Member

GROM support is telling me the VL2 does not interact with ECU or TPMS in any way so it cannot be the source of miscommunications in that context. Now I'm starting to wonder if the WiFi interference theory mentioned above is likely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed a GROM VLine kit, now have aux airbag problem...