General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

PIAA Silicone Wiper Blades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 03:24 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Question PIAA Silicone Wiper Blades?

It is time to replace my Trico Flex blades which I ordered dirt cheap from Rockauto, 14 months ago. Someone from here recommended them and they have been working well. Normally, I would just get them again since they worked great but heard I can go much longer intervals with Silicone. Doing some research, it appears that Silicone are the absolute best per Wirecutter. They have three styles: beam (Si-Tech Silicone), bracket (Super Silicone) and hybrid (Aero Vogue).

There are limited reviews for the G37, but few people for the beam style said they liked it for their G. The bracket (Super Silicone) looks like it would look ugly on the car although it seems to have best overall Amazon reviews. No reviews on the Vogue's but someone in Amazon review mentioned that it does not confirm to their windshield properly on their GT-R which I believe has a similar curved windshield as us. Anyone tried PIAA here and what do you think of them, and which version was it?

I am leaning towards the Si-Tech since they are $40 for the pair (26" and 16" for the Sedan). Only $3 more over the Bosch Icon.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
They are ok ,but dont last as long as OEM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:21 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I tried silicone blades years ago, and they smeared like crazy. The technology may have improved, though.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Carboy37
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I use the Piaa Aero Vogues and have used Trico Force, Trico NeoForm, and OEM in the past. I wasn't a fan of OEM blade pricing and I felt the Trico Force wipers collected snow and ice in accumulating weather. NeoForms resolved that, but I bought Piaas after they wore out due to my curiosity.

I think they look the best of all of the aftermarket alternatives (looks OEM), but they don't necessarily have a clear advantage over the other ones performance wise; they may last about a 9-12 month instead of 6 months under my condition (20k miles per year, New England, outdoor parking). They also are silicone rather than rubber, which transfers of the windshield and extends water beading action (great if you already use some sort of rain repellent on the glass), though this effect is also minimal to moderate. The biggest benefit is the cost-savings over time as both the OEM and most other aftermarket blades (such as Trico and Bosch) are made not to be refillable while the Piaa blades are. The OEM blades can be refilled, but it's quite difficult and the dealers will try to sway you into buying blades instead.

The majority of the performance of any wiper comes down to your windshield surface (clay bar and your choice of surface protection - RainX, wax, etc). The Piaa blades come with a wipe to break the wipers in, but I highly suggest preparing the windshield surface prior anyway.

Last edited by Carboy37; 03-15-2020 at 08:25 PM.