General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

How do you diagnose a bad torque converter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:56 PM
G37xsnewguy
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you diagnose a bad torque converter??

I just bought a 2013 Infiniti G 37x auto with 50,000 km on it 3 months ago. All maintenance up-to-date with synthetic oil's. No accidents and use only 94 octane.
i've been having excessive vibrations when stopped in drive, gear or reverse. It goes away mostly when you put it into neutral or park but can still feel it slightly. Now I always put it in neutral coasting to a stop.
I took it to the dealer, they denied any problem even when they pulled an error code u1024 Variable valve lift concern.
they cant fix it because they couldn't replicate the problem.
i've exhausted all my leeds, cleaned maf, throttle bodies, Performed idle relearn, adjusted Idle, check motor mounts, check driveshafts,updated computer.
So now I'm ready to see if it's the torque converter or the camshafts.
is there anyway to diagnose these two without taking the whole car apart?
Also could this be a computer/electrical problem which the dealer said could be.
i'm so sick of these vibrations and will do anything to get this fixed, please help!

Last edited by G37xsnewguy; 10-25-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Didn't add transmission
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Not a Tq converter. That's slippage of the transmission to the flexplate. The error code is a communication error between the VVEL module and the ECU/TCM. That's definitely causing your rough idle. It's mentioned a couple times on the 370z forum but mostly applies to boosted applications. Try new plugs and make sure the gaps are correct .

Any possibility you've tuned the car?

Similar thread for the G37 :https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...r-problem.html

Have the dealer re-flash. If that doesn't work, you need new relays. Dealer incompetence at its finest.

Last edited by RMB5190; 10-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM
G37xsnewguy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Not a Tq converter. That's slippage of the transmission to the flexplate. The error code is a communication error between the VVEL module and the ECU/TCM. That's definitely causing your rough idle. It's mentioned a couple times on the 370z forum but mostly applies to boosted applications. Try new plugs and make sure the gaps are correct .

Any possibility you've tuned the car?

Similar thread for the G37 :https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...r-problem.html

Have the dealer re-flash. If that doesn't work, you need new relays. Dealer incompetence at its finest.
no the car hasn't been tuned and completely stock. The car has been reflashed.
With the error code, there was no cel light and error code was stored.
So my question is, wouldn't this code come back on if it was the problem? The dealer tec said it would come back on if it were an issue.
I just don't want to spend major $ and not fix the problem. He says the new computer is 1000$.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I don't blame you there. Start cheap and eliminate possibilities with simple solutions. Plugs and new fuses would be my first go to; followed by a new battery if the other one is climbing in age.

Whether the code comes back on or not, you're still feeling symptoms of a failing communication between the VVEL module and the TCM/ECU. I'd say it's still an issue. Does it not happen every time you drive the car? 20%, 50%, etc. We have some vendors here who will sell you the part at a discount with a code from their online store - OEM part. You'd have to find a Infiniti/Nissan mechanic who is capable of doing the install. Might save you some cash if you have to go the most expensive route.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:55 PM
G37xsnewguy
Registered Member

I don't blame you there. Start cheap and eliminate possibilities with simple solutions. Plugs and new fuses would be my first go to; followed by a new battery if the other one is climbing in age.

Whether the code comes back on or not, you're still feeling symptoms of a failing communication between the VVEL module and the TCM/ECU. I'd say it's still an issue. Does it not happen every time you drive the car? 20%, 50%, etc. We have some vendors here who will sell you the part at a discount with a code from their online store - OEM part. You'd have to find a Infiniti/Nissan mechanic who is capable of doing the install. Might save you some cash if you have to go the most expensive route.
I just bought a blue driver Bluetooth obd scanner and plug it in and find out this error code u1024 is a permanent code that can't be erased because must be fixed first. Has to do with my ecm and variable lift timming. Sounds important to me.
The head mechanic told me there was nothing wrong with my car. I believe that was a lie. They should know.
They called me back and booked an apt for diagnosis in three weeks. The funny thing is no one seems to know but me lol!
Iv been trying to deal wihh this problem for 2 months!
I just found out today so will call them up on Monday. Any advice you can give me?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

That's a communication error between the ECU and TCM. Another member is currently dealing with it and it has developed into a $2,500.00+ repair....

I'd get a record of you showing them the issue and them being ignorant and ignoring the problem. You brought it to them with an issue, presented the code, they swore your car was fine; despite said code. That way, when the thing goes and the car is no longer operational, you'll have some evidence of negligence on their part. I'd even go as far as having them sign a print out showing the code is being ignored and they're saying you're "ok and nothing is wrong". Are you under warranty by chance?

Here's the other thread with the other member:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-2-700-a.html
Old 10-31-2017, 12:26 AM
G37xsnewguy
Registered Member

That's a communication error between the ECU and TCM. Another member is currently dealing with it and it has developed into a $2,500.00+ repair....

I'd get a record of you showing them the issue and them being ignorant ignoring the problem. You brought it to them with an
issue, presented the code, they swore your car was fine; despite said code. That way, when the thing goes and the car is no longer operational, you'll have some evidence of negligence on their part. I'd even go as far as having them sign a print out showing the code is being ignored and they're saying you're "ok and nothing is wrong". Are you under warranty by chance?

Here's the other thread with the other member:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-2-700-a.html
I did call service manager today and told him about a permanent Dtc u1024 and why wasn't I told. He said they reset it to see if it would come on again, so he's acting like he doesn't know what means still and has to talk to the Head mechanic which is out of town and he'll get back to me.
I did ask him to take it in for a proper diagnosis ASAP. And they could order things first. just afraid to get up take another nonth or two.
I don't think they will be denying the problem anymore.
I did make up a complaint with with infinit so they can document it.
I do still have a powertrain warranty covers for another year and a half and 100,000 K I
To be continued.......
thanks for the advice!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

No problem man. More often than not, there's less than qualified individuals employed to wrench at the dealerships. Some take their jobs with a lot of pride, but for most, they are lack luster to say the least.

At least you now know what the issue is and can tell if they are BSing you or not taking the issue seriously or doing everything that needs to be done. Sometimes, it's as simple as a fuse swap, or new plugs but in a worst case scenario, they're going to have to crack open the transmission to replace the module. Hope everything works out in your favor.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Will a cheap $15 scanner pick up a stored code like this?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:28 AM
G37xsnewguy
Registered Member

No problem man. More often than not, there's less than qualified individuals employed to wrench at the dealerships. Some take their jobs with a lot of pride, but for most, they are lack luster to say the least.

At least you now know what the issue is and can tell if they are BSing you or not taking the issue seriously or doing everything that needs to be done. Sometimes, it's as simple as a fuse swap, or new plugs but in a worst case scenario, they're going to have to crack open the transmission to replace the module. Hope everything works out in your favor.
so the car just was taken in for a diagnosis and Service manager says it needs a new transfer case because the mechanic was hearing whirling sounds coming out of it.
let's just hope this fixes it and the code goes away. They say if the code doesn't go away then they're going to have to start replacing the ECm and TCM. This Will be the seventh time in the shop in the last three months.
thank gold this car is still under warranty.
Fingers crossed!