General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Water front passenger floor, probably not sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 06:43 PM
explummer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water front passenger floor, probably not sunroof

Hello, I'm an amateur trying to diagnose/fix a water leak: I get water on the front passenger floor after it rains.

Vehicle: 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey Sedan with tech package. Engine 3.7L V6 DOHC (MFI).

First, I tested the right front sunroof drain, and it seems to drain properly under the car.

Then I replaced the cabin air filter behind the glove box. I didn't see any issues in that area, and the old cabin filter did not show signs of current or previous water contact.

I moved on to investigating the area under the battery tray. First of all, there is evidence of previous standing water in the battery tray. Water-type stains and four rusty bolts.

After removing the tray, I found *a lot* of debris in the area, mostly leaves. I removed as much of this as I could. I've included a photo after removing most of the debris.

The lowest part of this area seems to be the area beneath the wiring harness (B in the photo). With my finger I managed to push the debris down through what feels like a drain gap below the wiring harness. Maybe water was clogged here.

Also, I notice a gap in the metal seam just below the letter C in the photo. I intend to fill that gap with sealant.

Finally I wonder whether the opening to the cabin air filter (area A in the photo) is supposed to be wide open like that, or is there supposed to be some additional water protection there?

Any comments on my situation would be welcome. Thanks.

-e