General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eugenius
Ok, here some results.
Yesterday I was trying to test the oil pressure, but the oil pressure port for AWD version is located in a very tight place.
So I had to use several adapters, and as the result it did not seal properly and oil was leaking little during the test. I spent 4 hours trying to make it work. Darn...
So the results are inconclusive, because I did not have fully sealed lines.
At 92C ECT temperature from my generic OBD (should be 80C Engine temperature based on video from Motorvate's) I GOT 11psi idle, 40 psi at 2000rpm

BUT, I do not have any noise almost a month, as I was using Techron Complete Fuel system cleaning every 1500 miles for last 6 months and using only Exxon gas.
Thanks for the update
Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie Ex
Thanks for the update
you are welcome.
Here is another update.
During oil pressure test I also changed the oil and sent samples to the Blackstone Labs for analysis.
I saw here someone has claimed it would be metal on metal contact.
So if it would be a case the analysis should show extremely elevated level of aluminum and iron, as our piston heads are made from aluminum and cylinders are cast-iron.

BUT nothing is shown in the report. The results for aluminum and iron are perfect or near perfect. Just want to remind you guys, I have had this knock since September 2017.
Which in my mind defeats the theory of metal on metal contact!!!

Last edited by Eugenius; 03-27-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

you are welcome.
Here is another update.
During oil pressure test I also changed the oil and sent samples to the Blackstone Labs for analysis.
I saw here someone has claimed it would be metal on metal contact.
So if it would be a case the analysis should show extremely elevated level of aluminum and iron, as our piston heads are made from aluminum and cylinders are cast-iron.

BUT nothing is shown in the report. The results for aluminum and iron are perfect or near perfect. Just want to remind you guys, I have had this knock since September 2017.
Which in my mind defeats the theory of metal on metal contact!!!

You're the man! I'm gonna show this to personal mechanic. So what do you think it is then?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Eddie Ex
You're the man! I'm gonna show this to personal mechanic. So what do you think it is then?
Personally I do not care, already. I had this car for almost 8 years and now it goes to my 17-year old daughter.
If gasket fails I already found two shops around DC area who are ready to do the job for bout $1500, or less.

But to prove it's not low the oil pressure, somebody with RWD version needs to check oil pressure (or somebody skilled enough on AWD version).
At this point I tend to think it's not the low oil pressure and the failing gasket, but rather deposits on heads, valves, and the squish area. As I was saying earlier Exxon premium gas and fuel system/injectors cleaners are currently helping a lot.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

Personally I do not care, already. I had this car for almost 8 years and now it goes to my 17-year old daughter.
If gasket fails I already found two shops around DC area who are ready to do the job for bout $1500, or less.

But to prove it's not low the oil pressure, somebody with RWD version needs to check oil pressure (or somebody skilled enough on AWD version).
At this point I tend to think it's not the low oil pressure and the failing gasket, but rather deposits on heads, valves, and the squish area. As I was saying earlier Exxon premium gas and fuel system/injectors cleaners are currently helping a lot.
thanks agin
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

Again I meant
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
92k miles here. 12 RWD 7AT, and just noticed this noise today. Doesn't seem like anyones found a fix for this other than just random flukes that make it go away?
Anyone else have any last chance bright ideas or is it time for me to just live with this noise as well?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Same issue, following..
Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 PM
inkognito
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Similar issue. To be honest I don't hear the noise (loud exhaust), but I am tuned on ecutek and I see the knock and timing being pulled. If I give it extra gas off the line it doesn't occur.
Had oil pressure tested - 12psi idle, 35psi at 2k rpm.
At this point I am looking at having my gaskets done.

Anyone else?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Originally Posted by inkognito
Similar issue. To be honest I don't hear the noise (loud exhaust), but I am tuned on ecutek and I see the knock and timing being pulled. If I give it extra gas off the line it doesn't occur.

Anyone else?
Having this issue as well and got a new flash from my tuner and he noticed the same thing that timing was being pulled. He sent me a new flash and that seems to have quieted down the noise and made it less frequent.
Don't really think this issue is related to gaskets otherwise all the hundreds of posts about that typical failure would've reported this same thing more than likely.
I would talk to your tuner.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM
inkognito
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That was the first thing I did - we tried pulling timing a little, a lot, tried the stock tune even. It always does this weird afr wave when it knocks, and tuner says it is something mechanical
Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Hmm then again you said you aren't sure if you're hearing this noise specifically but that your oil pressure is low and you see the knocking.
My exhaust is quite loud as well but with windows down I can definitely hear it when it acts up, if you can drive with your hood open in a parking lot and have you or someone listen that would confirm what noise it is, as thats what I did.
If it really is this noise and at this point its mechanical thats really saddening.
Maybe could be just the chain tensioner?
Let us know if you're ever able to get it fixed but it does seem as though some people just lived with it for quite sometime
Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 AM
roger5777
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I registered just to reply to this post - helped me out a lot. I have the same exact noise as the OP in the youtube vid on post #76. The car was making the clanging noises and was down on power. No check engine light, no nothing. I finally checked the oil pressure yesterday because of this thread and I had 8 PSI at hot idle!
So I stopped driving it and ordered the parts.... the prior owner was not too good about oil changes, and there was some sludge buildup. I used the Amsoil engine flush to clean it out recently, and while it did work, I think it may have also "cleaned out" the paper gasket. Or coincidence.. either way, has to get fixed.

Originally Posted by inkognito

Anyone else?
Minimum service oil pressure at hot idle is 14PSI.. in reality you should see ~25 PSI. If you're at 12PSI, there's no way your timing solenoids are going to work correctly (not to mention everything else is getting starved).

I'm looking at doing this next weekend..I'll post some pics of what they looked like. I've built enough motors where I'm not worried about doing this myself, but I understand if people are resisting the bad gasket diagnosis if this means paying a few grand to have someone fix it.

I'm posting this for two reasons:
- to thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction
- to encourage people to check their oil pressure if they have these noises. I was pretty damn surprised that the only symptom was some clanging noise that sounds like something loose in the suspension when in reality there's a huge oil leak with no warning.

Good luck!

Roger
'08 G37S coupe

Last edited by roger5777; 06-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (07-07-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM
roger5777
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I got it done this weekend. The diagnosis is confirmed...
New gasket is in, oil pressure is back, and no more clanging noises on taking off from a stop.

This did take me all weekend, and as you can imagine it's not a beginner DIY job, but if you're comfortable setting timing and know how to get a crank pulley off that's torqued to 400 ft/lbs, you can follow the youtube vids and get it done. Saved $4k
The following 8 users liked this post by roger5777:
Baadnewsburr (06-12-2019), bjmsam (08-09-2019), Bommerang (06-12-2019), Eugenius (06-13-2019), GoatBeard (08-06-2019), inkognito (06-12-2019), jpowersjr2 (07-07-2019), LG22 (03-29-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by roger5777
Guys, I got it done this weekend. The diagnosis is confirmed...
New gasket is in, oil pressure is back, and no more clanging noises on taking off from a stop.

This did take me all weekend, and as you can imagine it's not a beginner DIY job, but if you're comfortable setting timing and know how to get a crank pulley off that's torqued to 400 ft/lbs, you can follow the youtube vids and get it done. Saved $4k
Awesome job, man! You basically has cleared out several year confusion of the entire community by doing it.. thank you for that!
I also almost grow a pair to start doing the job myself, but found a local shop which is doing the gasket for little more than a thousand and they ve been doing it for long time.
Did you replace the chain, water pump altogether or just gaskets?

Last edited by Eugenius; 06-12-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop