Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop - Page 6 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > General Tech Questions
Reload this Page >

Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop

Notices
General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop

Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Nxf0

Originally Posted by staskz View Post
i read somewhere its the catalytic converters rattling inside? idk i have the same sound every now and then, my car is running perfect so its not a mechanical issue.

can this be escalated to infiniti corporate? i mean us on this forum is already a big group of people complaining. Should weall write infiniti and get this taken care of? who's in?

I don''t think this is related catalytic converter. I don't know I could be wrong.
but I hit a jackpot with my car , I also have the catalytic converters noise.
here is the link :
but even for a faulty cats dealer won't do anything. I was told that warranty will not cover anything because there is no code / check engine light , and my car used to be in north east and has some rust under. I was quoted $3500 to replace the cats and exhaust.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:54 PM
mjunod

If you look at the thread "Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience" around page 15,16 I posted what caused the pinging noise I had on my 2008 G37S, which was related to a gasket causing low oil pressure to adjust the timing. It was originally diagnosed broken exhaust heat shield and then stones caught in same heat shield but eventually different dealer found the issue which seemed to be occurring on a number of G37's. My repair was covered under extended warranty, but I posted what parts they replaced. Problem never returned and now am at 156K miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjunod For This Useful Post:
Weilun Sun (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Weilun Sun

thank you so much for your post
so the dealer check your oil pressure then replace the gasket?
did u have any engine code or any oil light flash or something?
i suspect my oil indicator and header because recently i use WD40 spray my shield bolt and inside and also adjust my oil indicator (there's a little curve) it's also reduce the noise happen
maybe after trying these i'll replace my gasket
Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 PM
carzak

Originally Posted by mjunod View Post
If you look at the thread "Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience" around page 15,16 I posted what caused the pinging noise I had on my 2008 G37S, which was related to a gasket causing low oil pressure to adjust the timing. It was originally diagnosed broken exhaust heat shield and then stones caught in same heat shield but eventually different dealer found the issue which seemed to be occurring on a number of G37's. My repair was covered under extended warranty, but I posted what parts they replaced. Problem never returned and now am at 156K miles.
So, it sounds like the noise people are experiencing is actually rod-knock due to low oil pressure caused by a failing gasket. Amazing. I'm not sure anyone realizes the significance of this. If your car is making this noise, there is metal-on-metal contact, which means engine damage, and you are in need of a $2-3000 repair. I mean, that's what it sound like here.

This was critical information. I know to stay away from any of these cars unless they've had the gasket changed, or preferably if they're 2012 and up when the gasket was revised. I can't believe a modern luxury car is experiencing rod-knock because of a bad gasket, and a paper gasket of all things....
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Eugenius

Here is something from nissan's forum where people are sharing similar experience with VQ35. Looks like couple of guys were able to fix it by cleaning carbon buildup.
VQ Engine Ping / Knock - Nissanhelp.com Forums

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.