General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:35 AM
v36type

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearing?

So my right front passenger side wheels are making some weird noise. Its hard to explain exactly what it sounds like but it sounds like metal can or to better word it. Spin the wheel on a bicycle while its upside down and grab a pen and poke the spokes while the wheels are spinning. I had my rotors/brake pads recently replaced and had the chance to see if the brake heat shield was pressed against the rotors and it was not. I also had the chance to check my the suspensions control arms bushing etc. etc. and are all normal, no signs of cracks or damages. At times and rare cases there is some groaning sounds on that wheel only when turning right. The most annoying thing is the metal sound when driving near nears will make it more apparent. I have a 2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan

If it its a wheel bearing thinking about getting as a replacement. Let me know what you guys think or have better options for for the money. More Information for TIMKEN HA590125
Old 07-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
wheel bearings generally hum or groan when they are going out. An easy way to tell is to take a sweeping left turn and a sweeping right turn at a moderate speed. If it's your front right, the sound will be louder as you take the left (more load on the wheel) and reduce or disappear on the sweeping right turn (less load on the wheel)

That being said, given the sound you are describing, take off the wheel and look for anything in the tread of the tire, inside of the wheel or debris stuck in the brake dust shield before your start buying parts. In my last car i developed a scraping sound and thought the worst, turns out the chrome inside the wheel was just starting to peel and a little piece was scraping across the brake caliper. 6 second fix
Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 PM
daviso3
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Def check the wheel bearing. I had a similar noise. It is like a creaking noise when braking at low speeds. Dealer replaced the wheel bearing under warranty after the 3rd visit.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:55 AM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by v36type
So my right front passenger side wheels are making some weird noise. Its hard to explain exactly what it sounds like but it sounds like metal can or to better word it. Spin the wheel on a bicycle while its upside down and grab a pen and poke the spokes while the wheels are spinning. I had my rotors/brake pads recently replaced and had the chance to see if the brake heat shield was pressed against the rotors and it was not. I also had the chance to check my the suspensions control arms bushing etc. etc. and are all normal, no signs of cracks or damages. At times and rare cases there is some groaning sounds on that wheel only when turning right. The most annoying thing is the metal sound when driving near nears will make it more apparent. I have a 2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan

If it its a wheel bearing thinking about getting as a replacement. Let me know what you guys think or have better options for for the money. More Information for TIMKEN HA590125
i get the same kind of noise.