MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions-315/)
-   -   Help-Soft Slapping/Flapping Noise? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/282544-help-soft-slapping-flapping-noise.html)

cellwoot 05-03-2017 11:33 PM

Help-Soft Slapping/Flapping Noise?

Hey Guys,

The past few days I've heard a soft 'slapping' or 'flapping' noise coming from the drivers side wheel area while going anywhere from 5mph- 40mph with windows down. I disregarded it at first but the noise is not getting any better or worse. It can almost be comparable to as if you were slapping a post-it (or a strip of paper) on the edge of a table. Any thoughts on what this can be?

Recently installed Michelin PSS & Hotchkis sway bar. Not sure if this is a factor or not.

Would be thankful for any responses or experiences. Thanks!

Cell

Landshark 05-03-2017 11:36 PM

check to see if there's a fish stuck in there.

cellwoot 05-03-2017 11:39 PM

I wish there was a fish so I knew what the problem was :(. Something I forgot to mention is that the 'slapping' noise increases as the speed increases. And I did not scrape over anything recently.

NeverBoneStock 05-04-2017 12:39 AM

I hear that noise every time I put my wife to bed!!

Bommerang 05-04-2017 06:56 AM

I had that same flapping noise when I scrapped harshly one time and it was annoying for a whole day. Turned out a to be a thin metal flap right under the middle of the car-ish would sit, snapped it back into place. Problem solved.

saywat? 05-04-2017 10:06 PM

could be a loose fender or engine splash guard. one of my corners came loose and made flapping noises

cellwoot 05-05-2017 05:46 AM

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look into the underside and will update if I get any results.

inkognito 05-15-2017 07:17 PM

Find anything?

Kris9884 05-16-2017 11:59 AM

I have a very similar/same sound that's been driving me nuts. What's worse is it sounds almost like a lightly spun or rattling rod bearing but I have tried to replicate the sound at a stop or while under the car and I haven't heard it even once. I have tried checking the fender liners and any and all plastics. In fact, I just removed almost all of them to see if it would fix it and it hasn't, still flapping or rattling while driving. Let me know what you find..

cellwoot 05-18-2017 06:33 AM

Two weeks later, still cannot find a thing. Since the rate of the noise increased/decreased as my speed increased/decreased, I had thought it might of been a nail or something that I missed. No nail.

Splash guards in place, fender liners are secure.
Doesn't happen when I'm turning, reversing, or going under 5mph.

Besides the fact that it's super annoying with summer around the corner and windows down, it does not affect driving with windows up. -Knock on wood-
I'll be taking it to see my local mechanic in 2 weeks. Hopefully he'll find the problem if I haven't already in the time being. I'll keep you guys updated.

RMB5190 05-18-2017 07:29 AM

Post a video of the sound when you get a chance

Kris9884 05-18-2017 10:41 AM

Weird man. I have a similar sound too but its only while first taking off and after about 10 mph it goes away. If its louder as you go faster, it's gotta be something rotating or something flapping in the wind. Have you checked your weird little mud flaps in front of the rear wheels that hang down? That could be hitting the underside.

Bommerang 05-18-2017 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by cellwoot (Post 4134343)
Two weeks later, still cannot find a thing. Since the rate of the noise increased/decreased as my speed increased/decreased, I had thought it might of been a nail or something that I missed. No nail.

Splash guards in place, fender liners are secure.
Doesn't happen when I'm turning, reversing, or going under 5mph.

Besides the fact that it's super annoying with summer around the corner and windows down, it does not affect driving with windows up. -Knock on wood-
I'll be taking it to see my local mechanic in 2 weeks. Hopefully he'll find the problem if I haven't already in the time being. I'll keep you guys updated.

Well if you haven't tried already, perhaps get a friend to drive your car around in a parking lot at like 10-15mph while you're outside of it and see if that helps pinpoint at least where it relatively is coming from on the car, or if you can see movement underneath.

cellwoot 08-09-2017 12:45 AM

Update:
Two months has passed since 'flapping-noise'. The noise disappeared on its own without having to take the vehicle into a shop. No nails, no loose materials, nothing out of the ordinary. Weird.
Over the course of the two months, I drove the G normally with a few spirited drives here and there. Will the noise come back? I don't know. Only time will tell.

RMB5190 08-09-2017 07:43 AM

Weird. Maybe something fell down and was laying on the undercarriage; managed to get itself out somehow? Works though am i right?