General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

08 g37 won't start. stuck in D but it's in park.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Import_mike2323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 08 g37 won't start. stuck in D but it's in park.

Like title says. G won't start because it's not in park or neutral. In reality it is in park but the screen on the dash says its in D or sometimes i it'll say 3 as if it where in DS mode. Now the actual question is, do g37 5at transmission have TRS sensor, position sensor or whatever you wanna call it? If so where is it located and where can I buy one. I won't be taking car to the dealer since I bout it from a friend and its out of warranty. I just need to fix it. I miss it. also the windows stopped rolling up. Could it be due to this problem or because I disconnected the battery because it wouldn't shut up for me to put it in Park when it really was.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:32 PM
terribleone
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe they do have a position sensor, but you cannot just replace the sensor (that I have found). You have to replace the entire gear shift assembly. As for the windows, yes that is because you disconnected the battery, you have to do a window reset (it says how to in your manual)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Import_mike2323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terribleone
I believe they do have a position sensor, but you cannot just replace the sensor (that I have found). You have to replace the entire gear shift assembly. As for the windows, yes that is because you disconnected the battery, you have to do a window reset (it says how to in your manual)

I got the windows working again. Appreciate the info. So the whole shifter has to be replaced???? I mean the marks on the shifter are accurate to the position I want it to be in just that on the gage cluster it'll start going crazy and/or get stuck on D-3. I guess what I am trying to understand is if the signals to the gauge cluster are sent from the shifter itself or from the position sensor.