General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Confused on Transmission flush/drain and fill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Snipres

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Confused on Transmission flush/drain and fill?

After hours of stressful research i still dont understand if its possible to do a complete ATF flush?

From what i've read, when you remove the drain plug only 3-4 quarts come out? Sooo, how do you get the rest out lol
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Special flushing machine required. Infinity issued a TSB advising against using this type of machine with flushing chemicals. I would do a complete fluid exchange ONLY if ATF is the only thing used. NO ADDITIONAL ADDITIVES!
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (06-12-2023)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Snipres

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
Special flushing machine required. Infinity issued a TSB advising against using this type of machine with flushing chemicals. I would do a complete fluid exchange ONLY if ATF is the only thing used. NO ADDITIONAL ADDITIVES!
By "fluid exchange"?

Do you mean drain and fill?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
"fluid exchange" is what comes out is replaced by the same amount going in while engine is running. 100% change of fluid. $200 +/- plus (12) qts of ATF.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you're a DIYer do this~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html
This is a 3x drain & fill and you also remove the pan so you can clean the buildup on the pan and the magnets. Have about 10k miles since I did mine and it's shifting well FWIW.
Robert_K (02-15-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Vicious37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need change the Automatic Transmission Fluid. Infiniti doesn't recommend changing the ATF on the 7 AT. I've had two different mechanics as well as 2 different infiniti dealers tell me its not required.

If you still want to do it take it to infiniti since the system is sealed.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:09 PM
StreetShotz

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious37x
You don't need change the Automatic Transmission Fluid. Infiniti doesn't recommend changing the ATF on the 7 AT. I've had two different mechanics as well as 2 different infiniti dealers tell me its not required.

If you still want to do it take it to infiniti since the system is sealed.
Here's the catch, you don't service it YOU REPLACE it when the fluid gets black and it starts slipping :P

BMW has done this for years and it just costs the owners $3-8k for a new transmission seeing as they are non-serviceable.

And FYI, there are in fact tools to service non-serviceable transmissions and any transmission shop will tell you its required if you want it to last longer than 3-5 years.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Vicious37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StreetShotz
Here's the catch, you don't service it YOU REPLACE it when the fluid gets black and it starts slipping :P

BMW has done this for years and it just costs the owners $3-8k for a new transmission seeing as they are non-serviceable.

And FYI, there are in fact tools to service non-serviceable transmissions and any transmission shop will tell you its required if you want it to last longer than 3-5 years.
BMW is only automotive company and they are not infiniti so its irrelevant. On the topic of other brands I've gone through 4 different brand of cars and none of them ever needed AT flsuh or change. But then this is from my personal experience and should be taken with a grain of salt just like every non mechanic or non certified professional's advice on the internet.

Most shops offer Transmission services because some cars need it.Transmission shops of course will tell you its required because its business for them. I am also well aware that infiniti dealers uses special equipment for their AT service they offer. I've also been told by service rep that its not needed however if you insist they will do the job for you because its business.

The Infiniti Factory Service manual for the car says you don't need it.So its safe to assume you don't need it. However the owner doesnt trust the manual of the manufacturer of their car then they are is free to follow non certified advice from the internet or do whatever they want with the car.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM
StreetShotz

Originally Posted by Vicious37x
BMW is only automotive company and they are not infiniti so its irrelevant. On the topic of other brands I've gone through 4 different brand of cars and none of them ever needed AT flsuh or change. But then this is from my personal experience and should be taken with a grain of salt just like every non mechanic or non certified professional's advice on the internet.

Most shops offer Transmission services because some cars need it.Transmission shops of course will tell you its required because its business for them. I am also well aware that infiniti dealers uses special equipment for their AT service they offer. I've also been told by service rep that its not needed however if you insist they will do the job for you because its business.

The Infiniti Factory Service manual for the car says you don't need it.So its safe to assume you don't need it. However the owner doesnt trust the manual of the manufacturer of their car then they are is free to follow non certified advice from the internet or do whatever they want with the car.

You can quote the manual till your blue in the face but the fact of the matter is the fluid breaks down and will cause the transmission to fail. The point about BMW is that they have been doing it far longer than Infiniti and its a know failure for auto BMW's because they don't get service on a dealer level.

The fluid used by Infiniti in the 7 is not some magic fluid that never breaks down, nor will it last the life of the car. You WILL replace the transmission if you dont service it. Its no different than other autos. It is still comprised of planetary gear sets with clutch packs full of friction discs that fill the fluid with abrasives.

FYI, I am a ticked technician. I don't care what book you read or what the dealer tells you, the transmission fluid will break down and will cause the transmission to fail. They make it a sealed unit because it makes servicing for the people who only own a car for 3-5 years much cheaper.
Love2Drive (01-28-2019)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
It isn't a sealed unit. There is a drain plug and a fill plug on the underside. All it lacks is a dipstick. You need a special tool to add fluid to the transmission. I think someone here improvised a tool.

What's a sensible service interval for the 7-speed AT? I've been thinking about having a drain and fill done every 60k miles.

Myles
Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 PM
StreetShotz

Originally Posted by Selym
It isn't a sealed unit. There is a drain plug and a fill plug on the underside. All it lacks is a dipstick. You need a special tool to add fluid to the transmission. I think someone here improvised a tool.

Myles
That is what they consider a "sealed unit" from Infiniti. The service tool looks like a threaded nipple.
Why they dont have it on the maintenance menu is just stupid.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by StreetShotz
That is what they consider a "sealed unit" from Infiniti. The service tool looks like a threaded nipple.
Why they dont have it on the maintenance menu is just stupid.
It's odd it isn't on the maintenance menu, especially seeing as front diff, rear diff, and transfer case drain-and-fill is.

In your opinion, how frequently should the 7-speed AT be serviced? Every 60k miles?

Myles
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
What's even stranger is it IS listed as needing service on the Premium schedule.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
What's even stranger is it IS listed as needing service on the Premium schedule.
It isn't for the 2013 G37. No service required, even on the premium schedule. I'm going to have it done. The question is how often. Every 60k miles?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 PM
StreetShotz

Originally Posted by Selym
It's odd it isn't on the maintenance menu, especially seeing as front diff, rear diff, and transfer case drain-and-fill is.

In your opinion, how frequently should the 7-speed AT be serviced? Every 60k miles?

Myles
60k is pretty standard, but seeing as there is no drain and fill interval you could do it when you choose.
I would probably do it ever 60k or 45k if your crazy like me :P

Quick Reply: Help Confused on Transmission flush/drain and fill?