General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Engine Knocking? VVEL Ticking?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM
reachout

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Knocking? VVEL Ticking?

I have bought out my 4yr leased 2011 G37xS (~40k miles) a few months ago. I was debating to go for another car, but couldn't really find anything better than this car! Although it started to make a few problems right after I bought it out. Window motor, and this engine noise issue.

This summer I started to notice that idling engine noise is louder than it used to be, and started to bother me a lot. I cannot really describe it, so here goes videos I recoded.

1. Engine is cold

2. Engine is warm (after ~5 min driving)

3. Engine is hot (after ~1 hr of highway driving)

One of noises that bothers me is the VVEL ticking noise (I'm guessing) at the back of the engine bay near the windshield. Is this really VVEL noise? Anybody else has this noise?

I think there is another noise, which is similar to the noise that this guy had. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...need-help.html

Is this normal? or Could this be engine knocking? or VVEL ticking(or chattering)? or both? I appreciate if someone can upload a video of normal idling engine noise.

I am using PP oil and checking oil level is regularly. I even have brought it to a dealer, and they said that it's normal...

Last edited by reachout; 09-04-2015 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MurderdogQ (01-08-2020)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM
reachout

How do I move my thread to "Engine Drivetrain & Forced-Induction" forum?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 PM
kyle_350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine Knocking? VVEL Ticking?

I have only used nissans ester oil since my first oil change after I bought the car used. I had the ticking/knocking noise but hasn't come back since ester oil. Coincidence? I don't know, but try reading this article about our engine and nissans ester oil.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-diamonds.aspx
Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 AM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same exact problem, turned out i didn't use Ester based oil and as soon as i started to use ester based Redline full synthetic oil no more knocking and its very smooth.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:59 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Does the car drive rough? Or normal?
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 AM
z_spec

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem..
Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 PM
reachout

Originally Posted by tite_tite
Does the car drive rough? Or normal?
It drives normal ...

Last edited by reachout; 09-09-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 PM
reachout

I have found another person who had the same issue. He solved it by using ester based oil.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ing-noise.html
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 AM
reachout

[Update]

I have found another thread about the same issue.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ing-noise.html

One of the replies said that the noise will go away if the issue is related to VVEL, and yes, it did. One of the two noises went away as soon as I restart the car.

1. Engine noise after about 1hr of driving.
2. Engine restarted

The ticking noise was gone when I restarted the engine; however, the knocking noise is still there.
Again, I did some research, and this noise can be from: duel damnpener, engine belt assembly, or still VVEL....
Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
reachout

I have posted an update, but somehow it wasn't uploaded. Anyway, one of the noises must be the VVEL ticking as it went away when I restarted the car. But I still have the other noise that bothers me still. Here are two videos before and after engine restart.

1. Engine noise after a long drive.
2. Engine restarted
Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 AM
reachout

Update.

After a long drive I restarted the engine, the ticking noise was gone temporarily I think.
Even without the VVEL ticking the engine was quite loud and noisy. What's the knocking or slapping noise in the 2nd video? Is this normal VQ engine noise?

1. Engine noise after a long drive.
2. Engine noise after a restart

Last edited by reachout; 09-09-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:54 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I know from experience that my 2005 Maxima had a chugging noise sounded just like above and it was a VQ 3.5. I had the timing chains replaced and tensioners replaced and the engine was silent EXCEPT it still was chugging kind of like your videos. I replaced both fuel dampers and O-Rings on the fuel rails and she was silent after that. I guess they wear pretty quickly. I would try taking a long screwdriver butt/handle end to your ear and putting it on surfaces to figure out where the ticking/chugging is exactly coming from as it always sounds like it's coming from every side of the engine.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:22 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
sounds like hydraulic lifter noise. how often do you change the oil and what type of oil are you using? prolonged oil change intervals will cause varnishing of engine oil on engine components as it breaks down, parts will wear and lifters which require oil do not get full oil pressure due to small engine passages and orifices being clogged. start running better oils and do your oil changes more frequently as for the engine lifter noise it is there to stay.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 AM
reachout

Originally Posted by crookncastle
sounds like hydraulic lifter noise. how often do you change the oil and what type of oil are you using? prolonged oil change intervals will cause varnishing of engine oil on engine components as it breaks down, parts will wear and lifters which require oil do not get full oil pressure due to small engine passages and orifices being clogged. start running better oils and do your oil changes more frequently as for the engine lifter noise it is there to stay.
I have always followed 3750miles intervals for the oil change. I used dyno 5w30 that dealer uses for the first 3 years, and have been using synthetic. I'm using PP 5w30 right now.
When you say better oils, what do you refer to?

I'm not a car guy, so I don't know what lifter noise should sound like, but I thought this'd be more like fuel damper or timing chain/pulley issue based on research.

I'm taking my car to a dealer again next week to find out that the issue is.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
What's "PP"? Is it ester-based?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Engine Knocking? VVEL Ticking?