General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Engine Knocking? VVEL Ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Clenczyk
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mm1024
So here's what's weird. I have a 13 G37X sedan with 45,424 miles on it. Three days ago I took my car in for an oil change amongst other things and I decided to give Redline 5W-30 a try since I heard it rids the VQ of the valve tick. I've been having the tick since I got it at 23,500 but have been using quality oil (Mobil 1) and changing it at the appropriate intervals. Brought the redline oil and Nissan filter to my mechanic, and after I got the car back it still has the tick and its still especially noticable on a cold start! Is it not supposed to go away instantly? Just curious about this.
most likely the noise is coming from the Catalytic converter which also sounds like ticking. I went to HFC's and the ticking disappeared. I also have stillen gen 3 intake. and cat back...I use the Nissan oil which I order fro z1.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:56 AM
mm1024
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clenczyk
most likely the noise is coming from the Catalytic converter which also sounds like ticking. I went to HFC's and the ticking disappeared. I also have stillen gen 3 intake. and cat back...I use the Nissan oil which I order fro z1.
Oh okay I see. Thanks for letting me know about that! I only have glasspacks on. What you're saying makes sense. I only get the tick on a cold start now, and when idling it's non existent. Which HFC do you have? Is it true they can throw a CEL?

Last edited by mm1024; 03-24-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a question
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 PM
Clenczyk
Registered Member

yes... the HFC will def give you a CEL light... I've read somewhere in some Nissan/infinity service announcement(after I had changed mine) that there was expected issues with the stock Cat Converters which made total sense that the noise went away the moment the HFC were installed. the noise was only at idle or at very low rpm..or crawling speed. I had a mechanic change the timing chain under warranty which of course didn't fix it. hahaha.. I'll take it.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 AM
mm1024
Registered Member

yes... the HFC will def give you a CEL light... I've read somewhere in some Nissan/infinity service announcement(after I had changed mine) that there was expected issues with the stock Cat Converters which made total sense that the noise went away the moment the HFC were installed. the noise was only at idle or at very low rpm..or crawling speed. I had a mechanic change the timing chain under warranty which of course didn't fix it. hahaha.. I'll take it.
Ohhh okay I see I see. How does one get rid of the CEL? Like a tune or something?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 AM
Clenczyk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mm1024
Ohhh okay I see I see. How does one get rid of the CEL? Like a tune or something?
yup. z1motorsports offers a mail in service if you want ECU tune. I wouldn't do one without someone I really trust.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:11 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Mine sounds similar outside of the last video. It's a good idea to open your filters and oil analysis.
This will give you peace of mind.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 PM
mm1024
Registered Member

yup. z1motorsports offers a mail in service if you want ECU tune. I wouldn't do one without someone I really trust.
Oh alright thanks! So as long as I get just a regular ECU tune with a reputable tuner (I use Z1 myself) I should be good in terms of a potential CEL?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM
mm1024
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Mine sounds similar outside of the last video. It's a good idea to open your filters and oil analysis.
This will give you peace of mind.
Good idea, thanks!! Ill definitely get to that at some point. Maybe I'll ask my mechanic to check that out for me. I don't have any tools aside from what came in the car lol
Old 06-27-2020, 12:35 AM
4Infiniti
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a HFC that does throw a CEL??

I’ve got the same issue with the Bank one rear VVEL aviator noise. It’s got to be the Cats. It started after I cleaned my intake manifold with sea foam. Is the a HFC you can install and not get a check engine light?