MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions-315/)
-   -   Power Steering fluid change (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/246350-power-steering-fluid-change.html)

Glenn2008 04-22-2013 05:49 PM

Power Steering fluid change

Does Infiniti used ATF for power steering fluid? I have some Pennzoil Asian power steering fluid, that I use in my Honda and wondered if I can use it in the G.

buckets 04-23-2013 02:19 AM

yah im pretty sure its atf or rather hope it is cuz thats what i put in there a while ago. luckily ive had no problems with it so ima continue to use atf designed for our cars. look for matic j or an equivalent.

soundmike 04-23-2013 08:29 AM

Yep.

Quick ‘n Easy Power Steering Fluid Change

Glenn2008 04-23-2013 11:24 AM

^Thanks! I agree the steering feel seems better.

Rad_Slinger 04-23-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike (Post 3619492)

Didn't even know you had a blog/site about this stuff.

Saved in my bookmarks. Thanks for the info!

johnt000 01-09-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn2008 (Post 3619240)
Does Infiniti used ATF for power steering fluid? I have some Pennzoil Asian power steering fluid, that I use in my Honda and wondered if I can use it in the G.

Nissan J fluid.

Adam West 01-10-2014 09:27 AM

Yes it does. I'm currently using Redline's Synthetic P/S fluid, great stuff.

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as DexronŽ, Dexron II-DŽ, II-EŽ, or Dexron IIIŽ, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and many others.

jjpolston33 02-28-2016 06:25 PM

PSF or ATF for '13 g37

Been told to flush my power steering fluid on my new 2013 with 20k miles... fluid looks brownish amber. Suggest nissan psf or dexron VI ATF. I see many people on this site use ATF fluids, but this yr model calls for the higher dexron than what users of older models have used. Wanted to be pointed in the right fluid direction so I can do this myself !

Thanks

Presto 02-29-2016 12:08 AM

The manual for my 2013 states to use a dexron vi or equivalent atf for the power steering.

JSolo 06-30-2016 05:01 PM

Just did mine today in a similar manner as Mike described in post #3. I skipped the part about warming the car up. Didn't really see a need for it. Mainly the goal was to empty the reservoir (used a syringe), then circulate the new fluid. Fluid gets circulated regardless if engine is warm or not (it is 80F outside anyways).

I used 2 qts of redline dexron type VI atf. Each quart is good for 3 refills with a little left. At 23K miles (4 1/2 years), the oe fluid wasn't burnt by any means but was somewhat darker red. Can't really compare apples to apples here as it's unclear what color the OE fluid starts out as. I'll have a good reference point in another 20K when I do this again.

To prevent wearing a flat spot in the front tires, I put a piece of cardboard under each wheel. Less resistance that way when turning the wheel lock to lock.

Total cost was ~$35 for the 2qts and 45 minutes of time. A larger syringe would of made
things faster.

It should be noted, the vehicle service manual makes no reference to changing this fluid out. It doesn't mean it lasts forever. As components wear, small particles become suspended within the fluid. They can cause accelerated wear to the seals of the system (rack, pump, etc) eventually causing a leak. The ideal flush is to purge the system entirely and refill. Without breaking a line(s) open this isn't too practical. This is the next best thing - similar to doing a drain/fill periodically for coolant.

Can't say I notice any difference in steering feel yet. Just drove the car to the gas station and back. Need more seat time to determine if there's a difference.

I can honestly say now every single fluid in the car has been replaced at least once :)

defektion 07-04-2016 03:16 PM

^ I should have put cardboard under my wheels. I left some pretty nasty rubber stains on my new drive way :(

GFTW 07-29-2016 09:01 AM

Hey, I have a 2012 sedan. The manuals for my car recommend Nissan PSF or equivalent for power steering fluid but doesn't specify what type of fluid. Some people said Dexron II-III some said Dexron VI so I really am not sure which one to use. Can someone please clarify?

SonicVQ 07-29-2016 10:43 AM

Older Gs use Dexron III, new Gs use Dexron VI, which explains the confusion.

My 2011 G37S requires "Nissan PSF" or Dexron VI. I would assume yours would use the same. Check your owner's manual, to be sure. (Page 9-2 & 9-3 for the 11 owner's manual)

sinex93 08-09-2016 11:19 AM

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but should I suck out all the fluid? Or should I leave a little in there so that no air gets trapped?

Thxs,
Lukas

JSolo 08-09-2016 05:05 PM

Makes little difference. I sucked out as much as I could. It gets bled when you turn the wheel lock to lock anyways.