General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Replacing Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh come on now guys, this is simple shade tree mechanic stuff. You don't even need the service manual but if you want that would make it really obvious. Take off the wheel, unbolt the caliper, snap off the pads, snap in new ones and put them back on. You probably have to depress the pads so they fit back on but that's not necessarily true. Bam wam thank you mam, 40k vs 20k vs 10k car disc breaks are functionally the same.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GregUMR
Oh come on now guys, this is simple shade tree mechanic stuff. You don't even need the service manual but if you want that would make it really obvious. Take off the wheel, unbolt the caliper, snap off the pads, snap in new ones and put them back on. You probably have to depress the pads so they fit back on but that's not necessarily true. Bam wam thank you mam, 40k vs 20k vs 10k car disc breaks are functionally the same.
Worst DIY ever. If you hadn't ever done the job before, would that really help you to do it yourself for the first time? I dont think so. D-.

Now go back and tell step by step specifically what to do. What to avoid doing. What tools are required. How long it should take. Any safety precautions. Photos would be nice.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
GregUMR

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Worst DIY ever. If you hadn't ever done the job before, would that really help you to do it yourself for the first time? I dont think so. D-.

Now go back and tell step by step specifically what to do. What to avoid doing. What tools are required. How long it should take. Any safety precautions. Photos would be nice.
Yeah I guess that was me being insensitive while at work. I'm not normally one to come in and poop on someone's parade ,I need a weekend. I just figure this is something that goes without explaining but then again I know plenty of people who refuse to change their own oil so I guess that's a bad assumption. Hopefully someone will post up an informative DIY for the people here who have yet to change disc brake pads before.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yeah I guess that was me being insensitive while at work. I'm not normally one to come in and poop on someone's parade ,I need a weekend. I just figure this is something that goes without explaining but then again I know plenty of people who refuse to change their own oil so I guess that's a bad assumption. Hopefully someone will post up an informative DIY for the people here who have yet to change disc brake pads before.
I think somebody just needs a nap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNWbMGzT20c

It will probably be a while before I get brakes replaced again; I've already done it once. If one is not up by then I'll make one. The next person who's good at stuff like this and does it should be sure to do a good DIY, I think that's all the OP was asking for. Now take some time off Mr. grumpy pants.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:32 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

I have a bit over 30k miles on my car and it starting to squeal 50% of the time (the right rear). It's not an indication of worn pads from the indicator but it's from the high frequency squealling like the big rig makes. Kinda embarassing.

Over the weekend I took off rear brake pads and greased the entire backing of the pads. Took off the clips from the calipers that hold the pads and cleaned and greased it as well. Using the grease for brake chatter noise, it's like a buck/packet. Sprayed WD-40 on the caliper to clean it. You can also use the brake cleaner, for this.

Haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. But if I don't follow up on this thread, you can assume that it works....

If any one needs help, let me know. It's really easy to do.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds exactly like what the TSB is all about. Front Brake Squeel.

I thought it was from my rear brakes too, cuz i wd get it when reversing. But it was the fronts. Take it to your dealer... even if u dont think the TSB "applies" to your car.

The problem we are having is the same as described in the TSB. If they tell you, new brakes are needed. Try to get back there and actually look at ur old brakes before they take em off and put new ones.

Should not be more than 50% worn
Unless you AutoX or something.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

I'm gonna bring it in next week, and will follow up with the outcome.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there another thread showing how to replace the rear brake pads? I did not find one earlier. I did change my rear brakes today on 2008 G37 journey with Sport package. I did take some pictures and could share if none are already posted somewhere. Was not hard to do, only issue was I could not use socket wrench to remove one of the caliber bolts due to clearance, has to get a 19mm box wrench. Have 47,532 miles.

The front pads and rotors were done twice by the dealer under a TSB for squealing, last time at 42K miles, so I have not done those myself yet.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Take off your wheels. Turn the steering wheels. And look for your self how much pad is left. Best way. All four will wear about the same. Since our G's DSC controls your rear brakes.

So consider changing all four.

1. Spray brake clean around the pads.
2. Slide two pins which secure pad rods.
3. Gently pull both pads outward to relieve brake piston pressure.
4. Slide the old pads out.

5. Very very important. Spray about half bottle of brake clean inside the caliper and around your rotors.

6. Clean excess using shop towel. Do not use WD-40, they are not good for your brakes. Use brake/caliper cleaners they are cheaper and does not leave residue while WD-40 is designed to keep lubricating parts. Brake Cleaners are formulated to de-grease and evaporate.

7. Insert new pads. Use caliper grease both on top and bottom part of the pads which comes in contact Do not grease the back nor the pad surface.

8. Don't worry there is no way you can mess this up. It is hart to correctly slide the pads the right way. Impossible to insert the wrong way. Just will not go in the wrong way. Unless you bought the wrong pads. To avoid go to Jeb Performance for correct Brake Pads.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...to-choose.html

9. Re-assemble go to next wheel. Repeat 1-8.

After you are all done, do not, do not de-press your brakes with full force. Gently press until pistons are aligned. You should not work more than 10 minutes per wheel so little less than an hour for entire job.

If you take your pads to be replaced by a dealer or auto shop. Most will skip process number 1 & 5 & 6, and None will Bed-In for you.

BED-IN

60-15 miles per hour ten times
70-25 miles per hour ten times

Never come to complete stop until you have fully beded.

You are welcome

Last edited by joo030879; 02-26-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not unbolt the caliper. You don't need to unbolt anything. No screw nor wrench is required. Other than to remove your wheels.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
dfw0837

Originally Posted by joo030879
Do not unbolt the caliper. You don't need to unbolt anything. No screw nor wrench is required. Other than to remove your wheels.
If you can change brake pads without removing the caliper, you're the man...

My car has annoying brake noise as well, and it's not worn pads (and probably most of you have the same issue). If I felt like pulling the pads and coating them, I'm sure the noise would cease. I'm just going to wait until it needs pads, it's not all that bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

So it turns out that Infiniti of Tustin says the high pictch squeel is normal. Whatever.

I took off the front pads by removing a bolt that uses allen wrench. There are two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Its the one locate towards the front end of the car that has a rubber plug in it. Pick that rubber plug off and take the bolt off with an allen wrench.

I greased the fck out of the backing of the pads and the shims on the caliper. It stopped squeeling for about a week and returned with minimal sqweel. It's been about 3 weeks now, and it's much better than before.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Some of you def don't need to change ur pads, but here is a sweet DIY

2009 Nissan 370Z: DIY Brake Pad and Rotor Change, Part 1
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 AM
FlState

I have 22,300 miles on my G37 Sport with the stock pads, with how man miles have you guys changed your brakes due to the brake pads being wasted? It seems like my brakes are still working like new.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^26,500 miles on the stock pads.

Quick Reply: Replacing Brake pads