G37 Sedan

Paint Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 AM
ssomani19
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Help

So I did the mistake of driving behind a truck because no one would let me in the lanes beside them. My hood took a bunch of paint damage. Few deep scratches. I have the Grey 2012 sedan. I’m just trying to figure what I can do that can best fix these scratches and paint destruction. Any products link them please. Pretty sure I’m not the only one trying to figure out. Please!!!!!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Unfortunately, you aren't the only one.

There are many techniques available to minimize chips (or "road rash") using standard touch up paint as well as some specialized products such as Dr. Color Chip (which I haven't used). As with anything, preparation and patience will yield the best results.

Some search results:
Fixing Paint Road Rash
Fixing Hood Chips

Take a look at some of the videos and determine what will work best for you.

-Eric
Old 07-23-2019, 09:11 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Have your insurance take care of it. Should fall under comprehensive coverage.

Only way to fix it fully is to have a bodyshop repair it. Otherwise you can try touch up paint you can purchase from the dealer and live with it.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I used Dr.Colorchip. It's not perfect with the smear method on my paint color, but helps to blend it in on my Platinum Metallic. If you go slowly on deep chips and use the small end to fill the chip and use multiple coats, you can get a good paint chip fill. But will never be perfect and takes a lot of time to fill, dry, buff etc. I had probably 300 tiny paint chips on my bumper and the smear method hides them pretty good. From 4-5ft away looks fine. Close inspection you can easily see it tho. Had 3 big chips on the hood and the slow method putting a blob of paint and then working it down worked good, though slowly. From some angles you can't see where the paint repair is. But since other angles the flakes reflect different in the touch up, you can.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 PM
ssomani19
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Imma go over it with a friend. While washing my car I realized I had a quarter sized dent on my top between my windshield and moonroof and it has rusted where the paint is. Super small so I might try that dr chip paint.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Good luck and I found waiting much longer than the suggested time worked better for me, but then buffing also took longer but the buffing didn't pull the paint out of the chips then. 30-45 minutes worked best for me, on the instructions is says 5min but can be up to 1hr. I think the high humidity here was the issue.