Body Interior Exterior Lighting Reviews on body interior exterior lighting for G vehicles.

Questions about LED Turn Signal Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Questions about LED Turn Signal Bulbs

A bulb swap in the turn signals is a cheap mod that's been bouncing inside my head for a while, and I'm still not solid on the topic. I've got the original amber incandescent bulbs in right now, with the Tail-as-turn-in module in the rear. Anyway, Peepz started this thread last month:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...od-review.html

...and since then, I've been interested in trying out these Oxilam bulbs:
Amazon Amazon

They claim to have a built-in resistor, but if you research for experiences with these bulbs, the jury is out on whether it works properly, or needs an external resistor. I'm thinking the latter.

Also, Peepz said, "these only turn on when the turn signal is activated", when I'd like them lit whenever the headlights are on, just like OEM. Amber always-on with the headlights, and blinking bright amber when flashing.

If I do this, I want to just do it once, because of the PITA to pull back the wheel well liner for access. (Don't judge me, LOL)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
These might overheat in "always on" application. Why don't want to get switchbacks?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:43 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Try out LASFIT man, I've seen and heard good things about them. I am considering them soon for my front and rear turn signals. I have Diode Dynamics everywhere else.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
These might overheat in "always on" application. Why don't want to get switchbacks?
IDK if they would be "always on", because according to the comments from the other thread they only activate when blinking.

Switchbacks... meaning white when on and amber when blinking? Nah, I like the amber look with my white car, matching the amber tint on my fogs.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Try out LASFIT man, I've seen and heard good things about them. I am considering them soon for my front and rear turn signals. I have Diode Dynamics everywhere else.
$50, and I still can't figure out if they work always-on when not blinking bright.

And "canbus free" regardless, they warn about hyperblink when used too long, which is something I think all these bulbs warn about with a built-in load resistor.

http://www.lasfit.com/products/lasfi...n-signal-light
Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
IDK if they would be "always on", because according to the comments from the other thread they only activate when blinking.

Switchbacks... meaning white when on and amber when blinking? Nah, I like the amber look with my white car, matching the amber tint on my fogs.
You need different kid bulbs for "always on application" Lasfits and others without bigger heat sink will over heat with longer "on" time.

You need to get get something like that:
https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-Version-Extremely-Replacement/dp/B075LPT536/ref=sr_1_80?keywords=7440+amber&qid=1562725732&s=gateway&sr=8-80 https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-Version-Extremely-Replacement/dp/B075LPT536/ref=sr_1_80?keywords=7440+amber&qid=1562725732&s=gateway&sr=8-80

You should listen what i say I wasted alot of money making my own lights and testing Chinese ones, so i have some experience.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
You want replacements for the 7443 bulb, which is on/bright blink. 7440s and the like are just blink.

I have LASFITs as replacement back up bulbs and they're amazing. Can't find them on amazon any more though.

I got some sort of bulb for the tails, hoping they'd show amber. Ends up wrong wavelength, but otherwise they're pretty bright.

Edit: these
Amazon Amazon
They did NOT need a resistor, despite warning that they may.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
You want replacements for the 7443 bulb, which is on/bright blink. 7440s and the like are just blink.
Thank you. Such a simple distinction, and I completely missed it.

Good man, Mike.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:55 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Coffee Level = 48oz.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I've been running Morimoto switchbacks with external resistors for 2 years now, and they're fantastic. Always on mode is white light, and turn signal mode is amber light. Yes, its more expensive, but I've tried a few Amazon bans and none really lasted.
Also, for the turn signals, you don't need to pull the liners. Since you don't have the factory airboxes, you should be able to reach them by hand over the top.

I just re-read Johns question and realized my answer was not helpful at all, but oh well haha

Last edited by hexotic; 07-10-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:50 AM
Peepz
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey Rochester I found these lights for you that are just as bright as my Oxilams since they both use the 3030 LED chipsets. They are 7443 and are illuminated when the headlights are on.
https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Signal-Extremely-Bright-Replacement/dp/B07BLQZZX6/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=7443+led+amber+3030&qid=1562823813&s=gateway&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Signal-Extremely-Bright-Replacement/dp/B07BLQZZX6/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=7443+led+amber+3030&qid=1562823813&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Only thing is that they aren't "no resistors required" type of bulbs. As I stated in my previous thread, a resistor might be required no matter what. And like stated above, most LEDS not requiring one might be subject to overheating. We can't win either way.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Peepz
Hey Rochester I found these lights for you that are just as bright as my Oxilams since they both use the 3030 LED chipsets. They are 7443 and are illuminated when the headlights are on.
https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Signal...gateway&sr=8-5

Only thing is that they aren't "no resistors required" type of bulbs. As I stated in my previous thread, a resistor might be required no matter what. And like stated above, most LEDS not requiring one might be subject to overheating. We can't win either way.

These look nice and seem extremely bright. In the reviews, there is a video that shows a comparison of old switchback bulb vs. these and from what i can see, they have a resistor installed to help keep the normal timed (slow) blink
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
I just re-read Johns question and realized my answer was not helpful at all, but oh well haha
That's our new Moderator, people. Expect great things, LOL

So... seems I'm looking for 7443 Amber LED bulbs that are plug & play and CANBUS free. If that's not something out there right now, based on how products in this market have been evolving, it will be soon.

Then are are bulbs like this, which come pre-wired with an in-line resistor. What I don't understand is how the bulb end of the unit stays fixed into the headlight housing.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Rochester; 07-11-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
What I don't understand is how the bulb end of the unit stays fixed into the headlight housing.
I believe the 7443 isn't just a size and load standard. It also has standardized housing that twists into place via quarter turn like the OEM bulbs. The Amazon, diode dynamics, and Morimoto bulbs I've used were all different, but all had the same standard housing.

Hope I redeemed myself lol.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
+1 for switchbacks (the ones that blink amber-off, I think called "type 2")

Kinda see why you'd prefer to keep amber to maintain your color-scheme up front...but switchbacks are one of the best ways to modernize our front-ends. Really underestimated how cool they look, especially when catching a reflection of the bulbs switching over. And running just the parking lights (something I didn't do prior) looks neat too.

Edit: Oh, and there are LED bulbs which still need an external resistor, but don't require you to splice into factory wiring. More of a plug-and-play design, but not built in to the bulb itself. Ex. VLED triton (I'm sure there are others)

Quick Reply: Questions about LED Turn Signal Bulbs