Sponsored by:

Another G37S 6MT sedan laid to rest

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 PM
grocerylist
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another G37S 6MT sedan laid to rest

Tuesday I got rear ended by of all things a Prius and it sounds like my 2013 G (with barely 30k miles) is going to be declared totalled.
https://imgur.com/a/6N1kMtt

The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I just barely avoided hitting them but the Prius slammed into me and pushed me into a brand new Camaro. I got hit fairly hard. The aluminium bumper is visible when you open the trunk but the worst part is that the right rear quarter panel is crumpled my insurance claims rep believes at least one of the frame rails is damaged.

I had a body shop tell me they could pull the dents out of the quarter panel but I don't want a bandaged car. It's been pretty sad as there aren't many 6MT sedans out there and I might have had the lowest mile car in the country... I bought it in 2014 and only had 1 payment left. I had planned on driving it until the wheels fell off and as little as I drive it I expected to have it for 10-20 more years, until I could get a nice 997.2/991.1 but this has thrown a wrench in those plans.

There are only a few cars that interest me to replace this car. I need 4 seats as I've got a kiddo... I'm considering a Lexus ISF, Audi S6 v10 or BMW 135is. The Lexus is probably the most practical. The Audi I've read is fairly mechanically reliable despite a couple somewhat costly issues (manifold failure, regular FSI carbon cleaning). The 135is I need to do a bit more research on as far as reliability. I'd take another G37S 6MT but I don't want an autoslushbox and there just aren't any nice low miles 6MT out there. I haven't been too active here but I've appreciated the knowledge base here and the info on the site. I'm gonna miss my G.

I've got some suspension bits that are salvageable that I'll likely be posting up before too long in the classifieds. (SPL FUCAs, SPL TITANIUM Series Rear Camber Arms, Tein Street Basis Coilovers) And I have a pretty good condition set of 370z sport wheels with nearly brand new Michellin PSS rubber.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Travon
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! Alot of this is going around lately!
Sorry for your lost... Was also looking to
get a Isf but needed a awd for dd living
in the Northeast.
The following users liked this post:
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear. My car's same trim, color and mileage, so this resonates a lot. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably try to save the G. Imperfections will give it character, like the Millennium Falcon.

Those others cars are also ones I'd consider, but long-term ownership would hardly be as simple as the G.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!

2011 6MT Sedan

2012 6MT Sedan
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM
Evorus5
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you're okay! I was one of the others that got their car totaled within the passed 3 months. It really sucks but something would come around.
The member above posted some good choices I'd look at.

But if you do decide to go a different route and you'd like to sell those FUCAs and Rear Arms I'll take them if the fit a 2door model

Good luck op!
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:22 PM
grocerylist
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the 2 G options above and our shared loss.

Those prices in the listings hurt as I was hoping to get closer to around $20k for my payout. Is a super clean (in and out) low mile G37S sedan really only worth about $16-18k? I doubt they'll give me much more for a year newer with 10k less miles.

The 2012 looks nice but I would need black interior. I'm not feeling the 2011 model as much with the rear spoiler and Lion Sport tires.... budget tires are a warning sign for me.

Still waiting to hear back from insurance but Evorus5 I'll definitely give your first dibs if/when things happen.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Being a unibody car, the G doesn't have a frame, so no frame rail to be damaged. That said, sorry to hear of your trouble.
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
'12 Sedan (KAD with black interior) with 36K miles here - garage queen. See lots of erratic driving out there these days. Everyone's in a hurry to get to the next light. Was the prius driver texting? In IL, if you cause crash while operating the phone, that's a separate chargeable offense.
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
'12 Sedan (KAD with black interior) with 36K miles here - garage queen.
'11 Sedan 6MT with 42k miles here... another queen.

OP, best of luck to you. If it's nearly paid off, and you really enjoy the car, I hope you can get it fixed and continue on with your long plans for ownership. But if not, switch things up and get something different. If this ever happens to me, I won't be starting over.
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:22 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by grocerylist

Those prices in the listings hurt as I was hoping to get closer to around $20k for my payout. Is a super clean (in and out) low mile G37S sedan really only worth about $16-18k? I doubt they'll give me much more for a year newer with 10k less miles.
Seems so. The G sedan was a volume car, now with a successor in its 5th year itself. And the used market doesn't really recognize the 6MT model as anything special. Resale values were also hit hard when Infiniti chopped the MSRP by thousands and called it the "Q40", even though a sport/6MT model didn't persist.

Low-mileage and rare trim aside, 50% value after 6 years ain't that bad for a luxury-esque car.
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
'12 Sedan (KAD with black interior) with 36K miles here - garage queen.
Originally Posted by Rochester
'11 Sedan 6MT with 42k miles here... another queen. :
'07 Sedan here with 187k Miles (301k kms)...another garage queen...wait...

anyways sorry to hear about the impending loss of the car ...even after driving so many miles on mine when I think of some rando causing me to have to write off my G its a total bummer....the thing I find with these cars is that while they aren't perfect hey have a lot to offer including a price point/ease of maintenance/customization power handling steering feel etc. etc. that is tough to get on newer cars...sounds like you were just getting to enjoy yours...hopefully you can find another and enjoy it for much longer
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM
grocerylist
Registered Member

My insurance got back to me and offered $205xx + $22xx (tax, title, etc) = $22700 which I think is fair if not a little generous considering the 2 listings in this thread.

I've had an itch for something a little sportier for a couple years and the only way I saw making a significant power increase was going FI (spending $10-15k+ on a FI setup plus several upgrades) but that didn't make a whole lot of sense on a ~$20k car.

Today I test drove a 2016 BMW m235i (with under 40k miles) which being lighter, and from what I've read a very conservatively rated 320hp/300 ft/lb and with real tuning capabilities with the turbo it looks like a possible route for me. I just need to research if the N55 engine is mostly or even somewhat reliable. Obviously it wouldn't be as trouble free as most Japanese offerings but I don't put a ton of miles on my cars (averaged barely 5k miles/year). It's not ultra plush, not lots of electronic doodads that seem to break on BMWs (maybe equivalent to my G37S) but that's not really what I'm looking for. I was never able to backup my G37 seat enough without getting some leg cramping on longer road trips. The BMW even being smaller was far more comfortable and the seat didn't seem like it was designed for smaller Japanese folks. Fold down rear seats are nice also which I'm not sure why the G37 didn't have.

I'm still looking around. The ISF is tempting but a 2010/11 is about all the budget allows and even being a Lexus/Toyota with their reliability I don't know if it's a good idea to buy an almost 10 year old car. CTS-V is another thought but their styling is a little garrish, either love it or hate it (no doubt I'd love the FI LSA and a 6speed).
JSolo (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Almost $23K is not a bad insurance payoff. Makes for a good down payment on something.
grocerylist (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by grocerylist
My insurance got back to me and offered $205xx + $22xx (tax, title, etc) = $22700 which I think is fair if not a little generous considering the 2 listings in this thread.

I've had an itch for something a little sportier for a couple years and the only way I saw making a significant power increase was going FI (spending $10-15k+ on a FI setup plus several upgrades) but that didn't make a whole lot of sense on a ~$20k car.

Today I test drove a 2016 BMW m235i (with under 40k miles) which being lighter, and from what I've read a very conservatively rated 320hp/300 ft/lb and with real tuning capabilities with the turbo it looks like a possible route for me. I just need to research if the N55 engine is mostly or even somewhat reliable. Obviously it wouldn't be as trouble free as most Japanese offerings but I don't put a ton of miles on my cars (averaged barely 5k miles/year). It's not ultra plush, not lots of electronic doodads that seem to break on BMWs (maybe equivalent to my G37S) but that's not really what I'm looking for. I was never able to backup my G37 seat enough without getting some leg cramping on longer road trips. The BMW even being smaller was far more comfortable and the seat didn't seem like it was designed for smaller Japanese folks. Fold down rear seats are nice also which I'm not sure why the G37 didn't have.

I'm still looking around. The ISF is tempting but a 2010/11 is about all the budget allows and even being a Lexus/Toyota with their reliability I don't know if it's a good idea to buy an almost 10 year old car. CTS-V is another thought but their styling is a little garrish, either love it or hate it (no doubt I'd love the FI LSA and a 6speed).
Chevy SS?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:54 PM
grocerylist
Registered Member

I like the powerplant of the SS but it's a bit too much like grandma's Malibu for me. That and I'm not a fan of domestic interiors.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
What about a b8.5 S4? You can still have the manual as well.

Quick Reply: Another G37S 6MT sedan laid to rest