MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Car is much quieter with 3 passengers (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/292726-car-is-much-quieter-with-3-passengers.html)

deepblue3 05-17-2019 10:06 PM

Car is much quieter with 3 passengers

I took the g37 going out to lunch today with 3 other coworkers and to my surprise, the car sounded quieter from the cold startup. I have a stillen gen 2 cai and catback and I’m also fighting a bearing/tire noise.

I was mainly shocked how much smoother my exhaust sounded with people in the car. When I drove home by myself after work, I noticed the difference not just in volume but also in the quality of the exhaust noise. The only way to describe it is the car is buzzy with just me and sounded more refined and not buzzy at all with 4 people in it. It’s like the extra weight on the seats dampened the vibrations from the exhaust making the sound a lot “cleaner” if that makes sense. It was honestly a pleasant surprise and made me reconsider getting a quieter exhaust.

Has anyone else experienced the same? If there is a way to make my car sound like it has 4 people in it eith some dampening materials, that would be awesome.

slartibartfast 05-17-2019 11:02 PM

Your passengers were doing their part to dampen sound. Being squishy, they don't reflect much noise.

FreightTrain 05-18-2019 03:50 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with the extra weight since your exhaust isn't load barring. Like slarti mentioned, it's due to their bodies dampening the sound. Depending on what you're willing to spend, there are a ton of sound dampening materials on the market. I personally just picked up some cheap 80 mil material off amazon for like $35 and placed it around a few areas I thought were problem-some. Mainly under the rear seats, inside the doors, wheel wells, and I had a bit left over to place around the floorboards near the firewall/under pedals. It is noticeably quieter, but it's not something your non-G owning passengers would notice either. I also wasn't trying to add too much extra weight so I opted for a thinner material. For $35 and a couple hours of work, it's definitely a decent investment if you're looking for a subtle change. The sky is the limit though, but I kept mine ricer-priced since it's not something you can visually see :P

Corprin 05-18-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by FreightTrain (Post 4242592)
It doesn't have anything to do with the extra weight since your exhaust isn't load barring. Like slarti mentioned, it's due to their bodies dampening the sound. Depending on what you're willing to spend, there are a ton of sound dampening materials on the market. I personally just picked up some cheap 80 mil material off amazon for like $35 and placed it around a few areas I thought were problem-some. Mainly under the rear seats, inside the doors, wheel wells, and I had a bit left over to place around the floorboards near the firewall/under pedals. It is noticeably quieter, but it's not something your non-G owning passengers would notice either. I also wasn't trying to add too much extra weight so I opted for a thinner material. For $35 and a couple hours of work, it's definitely a decent investment if you're looking for a subtle change. The sky is the limit though, but I kept mine ricer-priced since it's not something you can visually see :P

Link for said material. It’s summer so I’m driving the Tacoma again.... and missing the shhhh mobile.

Jamal Haynes 05-19-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4242530)
Your passengers were doing their part to dampen sound. Being squishy, they don't reflect much noise.

Facts!!!!!