Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering G37x

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that!
It’s the only thing I can come up with. Was up last night researching the path I am taking on my car and kept running into the same info. Swift’s are linear, which is false. Two posts really made me blink and shake my head in disbelief.

First we had, “The springs are linear rate, those are just helper coils that stack up before the bigger coils take the weight of the car”.

And an astonishing second, “I’m and engineer blah blah, I spent good money on this here degree. But... I didn’t pay attention to the fallacies in my English comp class so you should call to my higher authority on the subject. Since the wire diameter is constant so is the spring rate, enter equations for simple spring steel deflection rates, blah blah. All while forgetting that a COIL spring’s rate is determined by the wire diameter, number of turns per distance, and diameter of the turns, but listen to me because I have no real clue what I am saying”

I kinda felt bad for the people regurgitating these falsities with such vehemence, and not for the droves ready to pick it up and hold it to the light as infallible

Last edited by Corprin; 01-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Back in high school, which was many decades ago, the best class I took was called Propaganda 101. It showed how we are influenced by marketing and other manipulative messaging. It was eye opening.

What we need today is a class on how people can weed through the nonsense on the internet, and glean the nuggets of truth from the mountains of trash. So many are too easily swayed by what they read out there.

I feel a little foolish I didn't find accurate swift info. I'm usually better than that. What I found was several vendor sites saying linear, and some non-rediculous forum posts saying linear, and photos which appeared linear. Finding consensus, and lacking dissenting data, I stopped looking. I stopped too soon.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Back in high school, which was many decades ago, the best class I took was called Propaganda 101. It showed how we are influenced by marketing and other manipulative messaging. It was eye opening.

What we need today is a class on how people can weed through the nonsense on the internet, and glean the nuggets of truth from the mountains of trash. So many are too easily swayed by what they read out there.

I feel a little foolish I didn't find accurate swift info. I'm usually better than that. What I found was several vendor sites saying linear, and some non-rediculous forum posts saying linear, and photos which appeared linear. Finding consensus, and lacking dissenting data, I stopped looking. I stopped too soon.

lol. I get it. I have been in the tuning world for a long time, as have most of my friends. I’ve noticed the social media and marketing controlling the knowledge over the past 10 years. I’ve witnessed most of those friends just throw up their hands up, and walk away with their encyclopedic knowledge base in tow.

Swift DOES make and advertise linear springs on their site, they are just for coil overs.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't like European cars because of their reliability. Maintenance costs, maintenance requirements, etc. But one refreshing thing about many euro cars is the average level of intelligence and maturity on their forums seems much higher.

It can be frustrating at times when it feels like the majority on a forum are immature, uneducated, and lacking in intellectual skills. For whatever reason that seems to be more rampant in the forums for some cars.

I'm glad to see there are some here that dispel that stereotype...
The following users liked this post:
skipmacl (01-28-2023)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't like European cars because of their reliability. Maintenance costs, maintenance requirements, etc. But one refreshing thing about many euro cars is the average level of intelligence and maturity on their forums seems much higher.

It can be frustrating at times when it feels like the majority on a forum are immature, uneducated, and lacking in intellectual skills. For whatever reason that seems to be more rampant in the forums for some cars.

I'm glad to see there are some here that dispel that stereotype...
I've noticed this also happens as cars get older and more affordable. On most cars you see things start to go down hill on forums after about 5 years. I would say that generally this forum is fine, and has benefited from helpful long term owners of these cars.

I have an '11XS sedan for my wife, and I have Swift spring sitting in a box. I never installed them because, I'm worried about her smashing the splitter on a parking block, and I don't want to have to deal with camber issues. I also have rwd rear sway. I love the improvement that it makes. The OE rear is WAY to soft.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:45 PM
Ghamdanv313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help

Been wanting to lower my car but I’m still a noob when it comes to suspension and all the components that come with it.
I have a 2010 g37x with 120k miles on it
wanted to originally get swift springs but I’m thinking I might as well get BC coil overs while I’m at it, I have a staggered set of 370z Sport Rays
245/40/19x 9.5 front +47 offset
275/35/19x 10.5 rear +30 offset
what do I need to be worried about and what should I purchase with the coils to have a good drop and the car still drive smooth
thanks in advance and sorry if there’s a section about this, really new to the forums and still tryna work around it lol.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Flayvors
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghamdanv313
Been wanting to lower my car but I’m still a noob when it comes to suspension and all the components that come with it.
I have a 2010 g37x with 120k miles on it
wanted to originally get swift springs but I’m thinking I might as well get BC coil overs while I’m at it, I have a staggered set of 370z Sport Rays
245/40/19x 9.5 front +47 offset
275/35/19x 10.5 rear +30 offset
what do I need to be worried about and what should I purchase with the coils to have a good drop and the car still drive smooth
thanks in advance and sorry if there’s a section about this, really new to the forums and still tryna work around it lol.
If you just want a good drop, then just the coilovers are fine. They'll provide a nice drop to the car, plus the adjustability for ride height so you can go as low/high as you need. However, unless you're tracking the car or regularly taking it around corners, then I'd stick with springs if you're wanting a smooth ride still. Coilovers aren't as smooth since they're oriented for track use. But it depends on what you're doing with the car. I daily drive mine so I stick with springs so that I can still have fun around the corners and have a nice drop but not sacrifice the quality of the ride as I do drive it daily. But if I was using the car on the track or strictly to rip around the streets on weekends then I'd do coilovers any day.
As far as worried about fitment goes, all you have to do is go outside to your car with a ruler or tape measure and see what you're workin with as far as a drop goes. I'm sure you'll be fine but it doesn't hurt to take measurements. I'd measure the gap between the tires and fenders and the gap between the chassis and ground. For example, if you have 4" of gap between the fenders and tire then dropping the car an inch or two will come with no issues. Just imagine it as the vehicle is literally dropping in height so make sure nothing will rub
Old 06-14-2021, 04:33 PM
DustU
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37xs on swift springs

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Hey,

We can do some Swift springs, they're the best springs for the car. Nice and simple drop.

-Josh

Drove the swift springs on my G37xs. Definitely a better look over the wheel gap. Ride Quality? I found the progressive springs eat up the potholes but launched the car out of em like a trampoline. Recently switched to fortune 500s major upgrade in ride Quality