Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Am I screwed? Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:10 PM
huntertgarrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I screwed? Limp Mode

hello, it was not my intention to be on this thread but here i am. I just recently bought a 2009 infiniti g37x from a local guy about 3 days ago. The problems have already started to pour in. To start, i have an exhaust leak, dont know if this would effect the problems im having but i decided its somewhere to start. Today i was driving back from work and noticed that the car wouldnt go past 3500rpm and gives a violent “bucking” As i tried to go fast in it. There is also some shaking in the engine and when i test drove it i didnt notice it, it is much more prevalent today. My boss said he would run the computer on it tomorrow to see whats wrong with it, im running plus fuel and there are no check engine lights on. The shaking and 3500rpm limit it very concerning to me as i have just purchased the car for 6200 knowing i would have to get new breaks. If you can provide any help at all it would be greatly appreciated
- a VERY concerned g37 owner
ps the car has 147k on it
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
sounds like you've got the rear timing cover gasket failure, in which case yes you are screwed. It's like a $2000+ repair.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:25 PM
huntertgarrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after i came home from work i turned my car off for about a half an hour and then went back out and for ****s and giggles i decided to go fast (above 3500) and it worked with no hesitation. idk if that helps but this seems like it might not be a reoccurring problem?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The bucking and inability to rev past 3500 rpm is limp mode. The ECU sees some important sensor values out of range and is trying to prevent engine damage. You have to read the codes asap.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar issue, no check engine lights, no codes. I even checked it while running and it was doing that. Had dealer check it, they found nothing. But As OP stated, next time you start it, it runs fine.
I have had this happen 3 times now. still no codes or check engine light.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by huntertgarrett
hello, it was not my intention to be on this thread but here i am. I just recently bought a 2009 infiniti g37x from a local guy about 3 days ago. The problems have already started to pour in.
i have just purchased the car for 6200 knowing i would have to get new breaks. If you can provide any help at all it would be greatly appreciated
Your failure to spend the one hour labor rate at an Infiniti dealer to thoroughly inspect,check out, and run the VIN number and give you a vehicle service history on a vehicle with 147k miles left you unable to negotiate the purchase price for any defects such as new brakes.

Telcoman
Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You definitely have to get the car scanned but in the mean time I'd do simple items. Try cleaning the MAF sensors, throttle bodies and then do the throttle re-learn procedures. Replace spark plugs and check the banks for oil residue.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Keep in mind the normal Autozone scanner is just OBII scanner...surface level diagnostics. Infiniti dealership and SOME other specialty car shops will have all the diagnostic tools to truly assess and see what the heck is going on.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
My Nissan dealership hourly rate is cheaper than my Infiniti dealership hourly rate, so you might choose to go that route.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:37 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by the_wolff
My Nissan dealership hourly rate is cheaper than my Infiniti dealership hourly rate, so you might choose to go that route.
It seems Nissan dealers will scan codes and perform basic maintenance, but they refuse to work with engine & transmission electronics. Most likely because they don't have the correct libraries for their Consult devices or legal issues regarding emissions. Or they won't step on another dealer's toes...
Old 12-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
hello, it was not my intention to be on this thread but here i am. I just recently bought a 2009 infiniti g37x from a local guy about 3 days ago. The problems have already started to pour in. To start, i have an exhaust leak, dont know if this would effect the problems im having but i decided its somewhere to start. Today i was driving back from work and noticed that the car wouldnt go past 3500rpm and gives a violent “bucking” As i tried to go fast in it. There is also some shaking in the engine and when i test drove it i didnt notice it, it is much more prevalent today. My boss said he would run the computer on it tomorrow to see whats wrong with it, im running plus fuel and there are no check engine lights on. The shaking and 3500rpm limit it very concerning to me as i have just purchased the car for 6200 knowing i would have to get new breaks. If you can provide any help at all it would be greatly appreciated

Check the brake pedal switch. That one can cause such behavior with no error codes.

G37 brake switch
Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Your failure to spend the one hour labor rate at an Infiniti dealer to thoroughly inspect,check out, and run the VIN number and give you a vehicle service history on a vehicle with 147k miles left you unable to negotiate the purchase price for any defects such as new brakes.

Telcoman
hey man, not all of us here are all old and gathered some of life's info(guessing OP just got a nugget with this lesson)...not sure how old the OP is but buying my new to me first car was by the seat of my pants and nope no one to guide me and barely had enough to buy the car much less cash for dx at dealership...so ...OP , yes check the switch, hopefully something so simple will solve it for you, good luck !
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (09-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:54 PM
smitty37g

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
The bucking and inability to rev past 3500 rpm is limp mode. The ECU sees some important sensor values out of range and is trying to prevent engine damage. You have to read the codes asap.
I work at a shop, I had this happen one day on my way to work. Hooked up the scan tool, while the car was still running, no codes. Turned the car off, checked again. No codes.
I had this happen 3 times in the last 4 months. It just happened again on Friday. Still no codes. I am going to do a throttle clean, I will ck that switch. I just wish we had more of a solid answer.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The dealer's Consult device reads a lot more codes than an OBD scanner. It would probably be worthwhile for you to visit a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 PM
smitty37g

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
The dealer's Consult device reads a lot more codes than an OBD scanner. It would probably be worthwhile for you to visit a dealer.
Is Nissan able to do it? Infiniti was suppose to do it, but they said nothing was found. So I am not sure if they checked it. They did other work on it that same day.

Quick Reply: Am I screwed? Limp Mode