Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

What should I look out for in a used G37?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Jovinski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I look out for in a used G37?

Hello all, this is my first post. I am looking to replace my dearly departed TL Type S six speed and have found an 09 G37 Journey with the sport and technology packages. I am not sure if it is actually the sport package because I thought that included bigger brakes and possibly the 18 inch rims, but I am just going off the Carfax. It has every feature that my Acura has, more or less, except for a manual transmission. It has 116k miles on it and they are asking 8900. I want to low ball them with a cash offer and see what they say, but I wanted to get some suggestions on anything that I should be looking for. The car is black on black and seems to be in really good shape.
I am not too concerned about wear and tear as I am mechanically inclined and do all of my own minor and major upkeep. Speaking of that, is there anything that might be neglected that I would get right on and is there anything that I should be weary of? Mechanically, it seems really strong. Engine is clean, doesn't seem to show any wear, the brakes are great, suspension is tight and seems on par with my Type S if a little more forgiving, which is actually kind of welcome. I am sure that has a lot to do with the larger sidewalls on this G37.
Despite it being an automatic, I have quietly lusted after these cars ever since I first saw a G35 coupe on the road years ago.
I welcome any and all opinions, suggestions and comments.
Thanks,
jb
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Yes, the Journey with the Sport Package came with the BBK and staggered 18" wheels, so those are your first visual cues. There are a few others, not so obvious. Also, there's a different front bumper on the sport package... although the difference is subtle from 07-09, while more pronounced '10+. Google the model year front ends and you'll see. Other differences... the Journey Sport will have flappy paddles, sport seats, and a limited slip rear diff.

I don't know about $8900 for a 10 year old G with 116k miles... that seems a bit much. However, a little time with AutoTrader should answer those questions.

I think you'd be better off with the 2012 model year as your baseline. The sport package looks better, the headlights are better, the nav screen is better, the failing timing chain gasket is upgraded, etc. The only thing the '09 has going for it is a proper black dash matched to the Stone or Wheel interior. And the CF card reader, if you're into old tech, it's kind of cool.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM
criledo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to open a can of worms, but there is/was an issue with melting dash boards. The reason I know is because my '08 got it; the dashboard turns turns into a goo and starts cracking. There was pressure made about it but Infiniti never called it a recall. Just an FYI, you might want to dig a little bit. I've had this (Journey) for 10 years, 90K miles on it, they are awesome.Good luck!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Jovinski

Melting dashboards? Does that start around the instrument cluster? There is something right there at the corner in this car. But I am used to cracking dashes. That was practically the Acura TL's claim to fame!
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Jovinski

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think you'd be better off with the 2012 model year as your baseline. The sport package looks better, the headlights are better, the nav screen is better, the failing timing chain gasket is upgraded, etc. The only thing the '09 has going for it is a proper black dash matched to the Stone or Wheel interior. And the CF card reader, if you're into old tech, it's kind of cool.
So my price point doesn't reach up that high. Are you of the opinion that this car isn't a good buy? And by good buy, I don't necessarily mean only price. Are there other issues, like the failing timing chain gasket that I should lead me away? Thanks.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag snafu
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Jovinski
So my price point doesn't reach up that high. Are you of the opinion that this car isn't a good buy? And by good buy, I don't necessarily mean only price. Are there other issues, like the failing timing chain gasket that I should lead me away? Thanks.
The '09 was a unique year, as a carry-over of the 2007-2009 G35 Sedan, but first year (for the sedan) of the new drive-train. Fine car, and I don't think there are any "first model year" issues. But the front end just doesn't have the same refined appeal (to most) that the 2010+ models do. Other than that aesthetic, the interior quality was apparently a little compromised with age, and the Nav screen resolution was poor.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM
criledo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...on-2008-a.html

They also use the word 'sticky' added to 'melting'.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Jovinski
^ the '09 G37S was/is a great car. i had one for 8+ years, in 6MT trim. the timing chain gasket leak is not a guarantee, and any pre-2012 G may be susceptible to failure. it is a very rare occurrence which is vastly over-reported on this forum - but it is a potential nonetheless. you're buying a 10 year old vehicle, so any vehicle out there has its pitfalls. go buy a 10-year old BMW and see what happens. the timing gasket is really the only main 'concern' that is raised when this forum talks about trouble areas. when i had my timing chain cover replaced under warranty in 2015, the dealer had only done 1 other. this was a dealer that also serviced Nissans, and the 3.7L was shared across numerous vehicles. so yeah, rare.

for a 10-year old sleeper performance sedan you can't do much better than the G37S.

as for aesthetics between the '09 and '10+, that is really a personal taste thing. i liked the '09 look and rarity of it. others prefer the '10+ tweaks. the '09 comes with the music box which some later models lost, as well as power lumbar...and don't forget the "scratch shield paint" that the '09 had! lol...

as with any used vehicle, make sure to get a thorough pre-purchase inspection to vet the car's condition and either leverage that into negotiations or walk away if too many issues pop up.