Working on Alternative AWD Sedan Shock Option

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Working on Alternative AWD Sedan Shock Option

It’s comimg up on the time to replace the struts/shocks on my ‘10 Anniversary xS. I am finding that my choices are painfully limited, and my choice is OEM, mediocre at best coilovers, and meh replacements from KYB. Hope this doesn’t upset anyone’s choices, I am just a bit of a snob when it comes to my suspension bits.

While hinting around I caught the memory of my old 510 suspension I built around Koni inserts... and it clicked. Why not modify our stock AWD front strut housings to use the0, 1, or 2 way adjustable insert? We could have a OEM based suspension system using 14.7mm strut pistons and rebound or compression/rebound adjustability for a price point between that of meh struts and meh coilovers.

I am am willing to fund the expierent, but as my G is the daily driver, I can’t afford to have it out of commission for the time needed to check all the measurements and test fitting.

Does anyone out there have a used OEM front AWD strut body lying in their shop they’d be willing to part with? I know this is usually something thrown away, but it’s worth the shot.

if it works I’ll post a how to, including all required part numbers so others can repeat the process.

The following users liked this post:
thezinfan (12-24-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:57 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I do. What's your location? Not going to lie however, I will eventually need something back; I like to keep me OEM parts just in case.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Corprin

Originally Posted by zer099
I do. What's your location? Not going to lie however, I will eventually need something back; I like to keep me OEM parts just in case.

Minneapolis.

I’ll need a OEM strut for two stages.

1. Initial measurements to see if an off the shelf item will be a viable option for a core donor.

2. Installation. This stage requires destruction of the OEM part. Basically I will be removing the guts of the stock strut and replacing them with the Koni part. I am assuming you don’t want this step done to your part.

Ill see what else I can come up with, but I’ll keep you in mind.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Curious as to why you dislike Feal. You checked out the AWD coil-over sticky, right?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I can get you measurement, I know the distance will suck for shipping but at least I can help you there. Let me know what you need.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Corprin

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Curious as to why you dislike Feal. You checked out the AWD coil-over sticky, right?
I have. I don't want to spend $1400 on a set of dual adjustable coil overs to lower my car an inch at most. The pillow ***** transmit too much NVH, and the winter/salt here destroys them with a quickness. I have had very good luck with the Koni products in my old race car, my 510, and an AE86. I am sure my daily driver would be just fine with a set of 370z front springs, shaved rear shock mounts, and 1-way adjustable Konis. Koni stands behind their products with an amazing warranty, and can be revalved/rebuilt by a pile of places across the country.

Coilovers are great, when you find well tuned and designed units, and for what this car is, I can't justify the expense.

Originally Posted by zer099
I can get you measurement, I know the distance will suck for shipping but at least I can help you there. Let me know what you need.
The shipping was a concern so I picked up a complete left OEM strut assembly with top-hat and spring for $63 off ebay today. Once I get the length of the body, stroke, and diameters verified I'll order the insert and go from there. During my plodding around the web today I found a NASIOC thread where a member worked with Koni and came up with a way of dropping the insert over an inch within the strut housing to place a lowered ride-height stance further up in the stroke of the shock. This helped with the compression length to the bump stop, and a rather brilliant idea imho. We'll see if it's feasible with our chassis when things start to go together.

The deeper I am going down this rabbit hole, the more I like what I am seeing.... but I'm a crackpot for sure.
The Pope (12-21-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Corprin
The shipping was a concern so I picked up a complete left OEM strut assembly with top-hat and spring for $63 off ebay today. Once I get the length of the body, stroke, and diameters verified I'll order the insert and go from there. During my plodding around the web today I found a NASIOC thread where a member worked with Koni and came up with a way of dropping the insert over an inch within the strut housing to place a lowered ride-height stance further up in the stroke of the shock. This helped with the compression length to the bump stop, and a rather brilliant idea imho. We'll see if it's feasible with our chassis when things start to go together.

The deeper I am going down this rabbit hole, the more I like what I am seeing.... but I'm a crackpot for sure.
I like where you're going with this...the idea has been brought up on this site so many times over the years but I've never seen any one go this far so far or those that did abandoned it due to cost....besides the cost I think the issue is that most people don't know enough about what measurements to take and the shock body disassembly to do it and they give up....please post up with your progress as well as any measurements and part numbers you come up with and do a DIY if you have the time, good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 AM
thezinfan
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Q40 AWD owner here. Definitely would love some Koni dampers. Had em on my IS300 for 15 years, along with eibach springs and sways. That thing handled like glue.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Corprin

Got the stock shock body a bit ago, but because life/holidays no time. Project not abandoned.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corprin:
Baadnewsburr (12-21-2018), Slowg37x (12-23-2018), The Pope (12-21-2018)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:26 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Have you been able to work on this project?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Corprin

Originally Posted by The Pope
Have you been able to work on this project?

i was in Colorado for work training all of January, and came back to a ****storm of drama.... so the shock still sits in the box on my bench. Also need to fab an arbor plate for the g’s strut top to get the spring off the body.

Toss on a thread reminder, and stay tuned. Disassembly will likely be soon.
thezinfan (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
First... Hope that things get better for you.

Yep, I tossed on the thread reminder a while ago. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Corprin

Originally Posted by The Pope
First... Hope that things get better for you.

Yep, I tossed on the thread reminder a while ago. Looking forward to what you come up with.
All is good. Mostly just drama related to leaving a career woman at home with a 2 and 4yo to contend with.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Corprin

Aaand an update.

Spring and fork is off the strut.

Drilled a pin hole to let out the gas charge and oil. Pulled the top cap, thought it was threaded, turns out it’s just pressed into place. Looks like the top of the strut body is rolled at the top. The body is larger than my pipe cutter will allow so I am at a pause till next weekend when I’m at my dad’s place and I can steal his big bastard. Another option is to chuck the piston into my drill press and spin it as I run a hacksaw blade against it.

I have a bandsaw that will make short work of it, but I’m trying to figure out a layman’s process for you all.
Baadnewsburr (05-06-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Corprin

The following 3 users liked this post by Corprin:
Baadnewsburr (05-08-2019), blnewt (05-07-2019), thezinfan (05-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Working on Alternative AWD Sedan Shock Option