G37 Sedan

Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
I think he went from the OEM viscous limited-slip diff to a quaife LSD which is a mechanical diff, not a viscous coupling fluid style LSD that can wear out.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
For some reason read that as a awd... I are dumb.

But going from a vlsd to a torsen unit is leaps leaps and bounds upgrade. Unless mad tyte drifter do.

Quaife is on my shorter list of upgrades once I figure out suspension.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I struggle to see the advantage to upgrading the LSD. Maybe I don't notice as much of a difference on track because I have wide sticky tires, a well sorted suspension, and better diff fluid and cooling capacity that I did stock. Fortunately, I don't notice any of the disadvantages of the stock LSD that the guys at Z1 were talking about when I thought about doing the LSD upgrade while I was upgrading the gears.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:54 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I struggle to see the advantage to upgrading the LSD. Maybe I don't notice as much of a difference on track because I have wide sticky tires, a well sorted suspension, and better diff fluid and cooling capacity that I did stock. Fortunately, I don't notice any of the disadvantages of the stock LSD that the guys at Z1 were talking about when I thought about doing the LSD upgrade while I was upgrading the gears.
The quaife won’t wear out like a VLSD or clutch pack will. Remember the vlsd in our R200s is a sealed and so-far unserviceable item, it will wear out.

If I am going through all that pain... I’m only going to do it once and go with quaife.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
The Quaife/torsens will wear out, they just wear bearings instead of friction materials.

I read a rather long technical article somewhere about how VLSDs don't get hot enough in most driving for the fluid inside to act properly. Discussion was in regards to the idea of opening/draining/refilling the VLSD.

Quite a few manufacturers went to OEM VLSDs in the 90s... I can't imagine they were notably cheaper, or for street cars less maintenance intensive, than clutch types.

Having said that I'd like to find a Torsen for mine. They are appreciably better in overall traction than the other two. Shame the Torsen I scored from a Japanese RX7 for $100 won't fit :roll:
Old 01-28-2019, 11:43 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
As long as you don't hop curbs, Torsens are sweet.

And, let's try to get back to the original subject.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:33 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
The Quaife/torsens will wear out, they just wear bearings instead of friction materials.

I read a rather long technical article somewhere about how VLSDs don't get hot enough in most driving for the fluid inside to act properly. Discussion was in regards to the idea of opening/draining/refilling the VLSD.

Quite a few manufacturers went to OEM VLSDs in the 90s... I can't imagine they were notably cheaper, or for street cars less maintenance intensive, than clutch types.

Having said that I'd like to find a Torsen for mine. They are appreciably better in overall traction than the other two. Shame the Torsen I scored from a Japanese RX7 for $100 won't fit :roll:
Some of the Japanese MK3's came with Torsens too, but they all suffered from reliability issues.

On topic though, on my new car it will def be wheels .
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Itsjdmyo
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Aluminum ***** from eBay

Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Itsjdmyo
Aluminum ***** from eBay
I have thought about the Carsmo ***** a number of times. What do you like about them other than the look? I honestly don't mind the oem black ***** and the fact that they won't be as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer is not bad.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM
Itsjdmyo
Registered Member

Aside from the looks, I like that I can turn the **** easier with my finger (due to the ridges on the ****).
Old 01-31-2019, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
I have thought about the Carsmo ***** a number of times. What do you like about them other than the look? I honestly don't mind the oem black ***** and the fact that they won't be as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer is not bad.
Those aren't Carsmo *****, they're thin little ebay knock offs.

But they're the only game in town now that Carsmo is no longer in business. Nope... wait a minute, that's not entirely correct. It looks like he's considering running a new batch. You might want to jump on that. The Carsmo ***** are superior. Just are.

Carsmo Design - Home

Originally Posted by Itsjdmyo
Aside from the looks, I like that I can turn the **** easier with my finger (due to the ridges on the ****).
​​​​​​​LOL
Old 01-31-2019, 01:07 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I can attest to the quality of the Carsmo *****. The heat in the summer and cold in winter on the metal ***** is of no concern. Don't bother with the eBay ones, unless someone is selling their Carsmo's at a discount.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Itsjdmyo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Those aren't Carsmo *****, they're thin little ebay knock offs.

But they're the only game in town now that Carsmo is no longer in business. Nope... wait a minute, that's not entirely correct. It looks like he's considering running a new batch. You might want to jump on that. The Carsmo ***** are superior. Just are.

Carsmo Design - Home

LOL
The Carsmo was too smooth (a friend has them) and I couldn't justify spending that much money on *****.
​​​​​​​My .02 cents...
Old 01-31-2019, 02:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The Carsmo **** set was the only esthetic mod I've made to my car. Everything else is functional. They are man-sized *****.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
My 6mt car came with them already installed .
Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?-iaxfhcr.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (07-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?