G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is the wheel hop in your 6MT sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
I don't mind it too much because I it would make me buy tires waaayy more often hahaha
There you go! It's a tire saving method. Very clever Infiniti.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
This past Spring, a Chick-fil-A opened in Rochester. For weeks maybe months it was mobbed with traffic all day long. I was fascinated why that was, I mean, how good could it be? It's just a freaking chicken sandwich. Anyway, late morning one day I thought I'd drive down there and find out. I pulled into the side street and just barely got into the parking lot, which was jammed up bad. I was stuck. Nobody was moving, just inching around like the Twit Olympics, if you get the Monty Python reference. It was crazy.

At one point someone lunged in front of me just to get one car closer in the line, and left an opening for me to leave, so I left. For good measure, I gave it way more throttle than was necessary, and it kind of got out of hand. Ended up fish-tailing around the corner and laying a patch down the road. It must have been frightening to watch, and with hindsight it was super immature. I could have hit a curb, or another car. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I mean, it's a story, but it's also an embarrassing one, and since I'm not proud, there it is.

The point being... no wheel hop. Not even a hint of it.

Oh, and I did eventually try their chicken. Meh. It's just a chicken sandwich.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-09-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
This past Spring, a Chick-fil-A opened in Rochester. For weeks maybe months it was mobbed with traffic all day long. I was fascinated why that was, I mean, how good could it be? It's just a freaking chicken sandwich. Anyway, late morning one day I thought I'd drive down there and find out. I pulled into the side street and just barely got into the parking lot, which was jammed up bad. I was stuck. Nobody was moving, just inching around like the Twit Olympics, if you get the Monty Python reference. It was crazy.

At one point someone lunged in front of me just to get one car closer in the line, and left an opening for me to leave, so I left. For good measure, I gave it way more throttle than was necessary, and it kind of got out of hand. Ended up fish-tailing around the corner and laying a patch down the road. It must have been frightening to watch, and with hindsight it was super immature. I could have hit a curb, or another car. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I mean, it's a story, but it's also an embarrassing one, and since I'm not proud, there it is.

The point being... no wheel hop. Not even a hint of it.

Oh, and I did eventually try their chicken. Meh. It's just a chicken sandwich.
Haha! That's a great story. I love the line about the Twit Olympics. It's probably been 25 years since I saw that bit. I went to see John Cleese when he was in town for a show to watch the Holy Grail and then a Q & A session after with him. It was great and he is still very funny, but he has put on quite a bit of weight since his Monty Python & Faulty Towers days.

And just like that I have completely derailed my own thread...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What is strange about my G, is that with TCS on, if I floor it and the tires get loose it'll smoothly burnout for a moment*like 3 seconds* UNTIL TCS kicks in. If TCS if OFF, and I attempt the exact same thing in the same exact spot of the road by where I work, it'll begin wheel hop instantly after the second I feel spin. It's so noticeable that with the TCS ON the car will actually slide and give out to the left causing me to counter steer to keep her straight. With the TCS OFF it's just wheel hop.

Just talking about this makes me want to burn the car. I'm out. Bye.

"my lord he's so dramatic" lol I kid I kid. But really...it gets to me in a way I can't explain. Or maybe I just did....
Old 10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just to prove to myself (again) that I'm not crazy, I had at this one more time today.

By myself in a lonely corner of the Home Depot parking lot on a weirdly hot 80° day for October. Windows down, radio off, AC off, *traction control off*... quick release on the clutch, and I stomped on it from a standing start. Not even a whif of wheel hop. Nothing but spin, for as long as I wanted to hang onto the throttle....

...which was really only a few seconds but seemed like eternity.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Just to prove to myself (again) that I'm not crazy, I had at this one more time today.

By myself in a lonely corner of the Home Depot parking lot on a weirdly hot 80° day for October. Windows down, radio off, AC off, *traction control off*... quick release on the clutch, and I stomped on it from a standing start. Not even a whif of wheel hop. Nothing but spin, for as long as I wanted to hang onto the throttle....

...which was really only a few seconds but seemed like eternity.
I tried today..my axle broke off. lol jk
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
None ever since I went solid in the rear.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally I tried this in the dry with TCS on and off and got the same wheel hopping slop both ways. I tried it the other day in the rain and also got wheel hop so I am thinking it is due to something in the suspension more than it is the tires.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I agree it's got to be your suspension. Buy some seriously expensive exotic coilovers like Ape Factory did with his old Coupe.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Yeah mine does it in the wet just as bad.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am on stock suspension and get wheel hop in the rain. Don't remember if it does that in the dry though. It's more likely that I don't in the dry since I don't notice it.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Interesting thread....
One thing that should also be mentioned is the type of pavement.

With my 100% stock suspension, wheels and RE970 AS tires I don't have any "wheel hop" issues on older pavement that looks to have a surface of polished rocks. BUT on newer pavement, it shakes a lot. Same thing with drag racing: I always have wheel hop issues at Cayuga and never at Shannonville.

If you look at this video:
at 4:38 you can see what is actually happening during some light "wheel hop".
The wheels don't hop, like on older leaf sprung cars:

What is really happening is "subframe shake." (the bushings load up/wind up when there is tire adhesion, then when the tire looses grip the bushing unload/unwind, and this process repeats over and over.)
Since the rear shock only controls (dampens) the lower control arm, it can't stop the subframe. Look at the first video again and watch where the shock connects to the lower control arm. Better or different shocks won't fix this.

If you want to reduce subframe shake, solid subframe and diff bushings would help a lot.
You could also try increasing/decreasing tire pressure.

Here is an interesting "wheel hop" solution for LX platform cars: The Solution To ?Wheel Hop? For Dodge Challenger - Six Speed & Automatic Challengers
The stage II kit actually adds 2 shocks to control the subframe!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sonic,

I read something very similar about wheel hop and the subframe bushings. However, I already installed subframe inserts and upgraded the rear diff bushings. I also notice the same issue regardless of the age of the road or what it is made from.

I noticed that if I am already moving at 20-40 mph and drop the hammer, then I can spin the tires at will without any hop. Weird!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Huaniitoo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I get wheel hop when I do a pull with TC on.
I'm running teins flex z
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Huaniitoo
I get wheel hop when I do a pull with TC on.
I'm running teins flex z
Does it go away with TC off? I get it with TC on or off.

Quick Reply: How bad is the wheel hop in your 6MT sedan?