Why does dealership not want to clean throttle bodies? - MyG37

G37 Sedan

Why does dealership not want to clean throttle bodies?

Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #1  
mjnoles1

Why does dealership not want to clean throttle bodies?

I know, they will bend you over. But, that is not why I am posting. The car was already in and it was the second time that I asked while the car was already in. This is also the second time that they advised against it.

Stating that, more times than not it causes issues to open them up, spray and wipe them down. They are a direct fuel injection set up (I believe that is what they stated) and most of the times when they have seen it done, it causes issues.

Why would the dealership not want to take my money and at least provide me a quote? Why are they so concerned?

By the way, my car is a 2013 with 28,000 miles.
mjnoles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #2  
Jsolo

Another misguided service writer? Our cars use a sequential multi-point fuel injection system. Follow the DYI thread and go to the dealer for warranty work.

Sometimes issues result requiring idle relearn/reprogram to be done. Not sure why this is an issue at the dealer as they have the consult-3 system which does this easily and quickly.
Jsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #3  
Hashim

28k is a little early, but other than that I can't think of a reason why
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #4  
gord27

I'll be doing this once I get my car back from the collision repair. No idea why anyone would pay a dealer to do this.
gord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #5  
iCrap

They probably don't want to do it because some cars have problems with surging idle after cleaning, and its a total nightmare to fix.
iCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #6  
Rochester
Lifetime Premier Member

Thanked 2,585 Times in 2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post
They probably don't want to do it because some cars have problems with surging idle after cleaning, and its a total nightmare to fix.
Exactly what happened to me back in 2009 with my 2003 Maxima SE 6MT. The dealership sold me an "upper engine cleaning service", which included cleaning the Throttle Body. Afterwards, the throttle and the idle was fkd up. Kept bringing it back until they finally replaced the TB on their dime.
Rochester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #7  
Lego_Maniac

Why do you need your throttle bodies cleaned at 28K?

I inspected mine last year when I installed the Takeda intake and they were fine. Is this really that big of an issue on the G?
Lego_Maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #8  
ryanwhite74115

I haven't cleaned mine yet and I'm at 82k miles
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #9  
gord27

The issue I have, which I believe is throttle body related, is stalling on restart after driving for a bit and parking somewhere for 10-30 minutes. I end up having to give it gas to get it started. Only really happens in winter tire temps but it's not something I want my wife to experience.

I have 135k kms on the car but it's been happening since before 100k.
The Following User Says Thank You to gord27 For This Useful Post:
Lego_Maniac (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #10  
qmantran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gord27 View Post
The issue I have, which I believe is throttle body related, is stalling on restart after driving for a bit and parking somewhere for 10-30 minutes. I end up having to give it gas to get it started. Only really happens in winter tire temps but it's not something I want my wife to experience.

I have 135k kms on the car but it's been happening since before 100k.
I have been experiencing the same problem. When the car is up to operating temperature and i shut it off and return 15 mins to 2 hours later it will start up fine but immediately rpms will drop below 750rpms.

at this point 2 things usually happens.

1. The car stalls and turns off. When I start it the 2nd time the problem doesn't return.

2. The computer sees the rpm dropping below idle and makes the necessary adjustments to keep the car from stalling.

Haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. I've cleaned both MAF, Throttle bodies, performed all kinds of throttle body recalibrations. It usually fixes it for a month and the problem returns.

Keep in mind this issue doesn't occur daily. It's maybe once every week or two weeks. It only happens after the car has been parked after reaching operating temperature.

my car has 85k miles now but this has been occurring since 65k-70k miles. No check engine lights or codes.
qmantran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #11  
mathnerd88

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmantran View Post
I have been experiencing the same problem. When the car is up to operating temperature and i shut it off and return 15 mins to 2 hours later it will start up fine but immediately rpms will drop below 750rpms.

at this point 2 things usually happens.

1. The car stalls and turns off. When I start it the 2nd time the problem doesn't return.

2. The computer sees the rpm dropping below idle and makes the necessary adjustments to keep the car from stalling.

Haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. I've cleaned both MAF, Throttle bodies, performed all kinds of throttle body recalibrations. It usually fixes it for a month and the problem returns.

Keep in mind this issue doesn't occur daily. It's maybe once every week or two weeks. It only happens after the car has been parked after reaching operating temperature.

my car has 85k miles now but this has been occurring since 65k-70k miles. No check engine lights or codes.
I have the same problem, although it only happened to me once or twice the last year and a half I've owned it. My car has only 30k miles. CPO 2013 G37x.
mathnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #12  
gord27

Mine only happens in colder weather and I was told by someone (can't recall if on here or a mechanic I used) that cleaning the throttle bodies should fix it. qmantran's experience is not encouraging.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #13  
AARONHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
Another misguided service writer? Our cars use a sequential multi-point fuel injection system. Follow the DYI thread and go to the dealer for warranty work.

Sometimes issues result requiring idle relearn/reprogram to be done. Not sure why this is an issue at the dealer as they have the consult-3 system which does this easily and quickly.
DESERVES A REPOST

And you can do it at home easy too...solves the engine shut off and high surging idle after messing with the throttle body
AARONHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #14  
obsidiansamurai

Are your intake tubes cracked at all in the slightest? Nissan said they wouldn't do mine because of that. I ended up doing my own and came to find out that one of the throttle body bolts was stripped, so I had to keep them on and do a half **** clean. I wonder if that was a factor in their decision. How the hell do I get my throttle body off now?
obsidiansamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #15  
Daddy Fat Sacs

why not just clean them yourself? 20 minutes tops, 5 bolts for engine cover, 2 hose clamps on each side for intakes, and then 4 bolts per TB. Very very simple DIY and your only cost is a can of TB cleaner.
Daddy Fat Sacs is online now   Reply With Quote