G37 Sedan

Spin-Off: Your longest road trip (G sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Spin-Off: Your longest road trip (G sedan)

Saw side chat in WDYDT thread, figured it could survive as its own topic.

What is your longest trip with the G? What was it like? Any prep? Or tips? Cool photos?

Mine was from DC to NYC to upstate NY (Windham) then back to DC. Not that far I guess, longest leg was about 350 mi (and that was solo).

Overall found the G to be pretty versatile, cruises smoothly on the interstate (mostly I95/I295) and fun in turns on the back roads (although the roadside deer had me a little paranoid). Car felt a little heavy at times, needed a heavy foot on those uphill switchbacks in the Catskills

Mpg was in the 15-18 range, it was a while since the car stretched its legs so didn't care as much about fuel economy.

Legs get cramped after about 3-4 hours of driving, not sure if that's attributable to the sport seats or my height...

Shot from BK:

Last edited by STownSaint; 06-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
My longest trip was the day I bought it. That was six and a half years ago.

I found my 6MT out of state. Took an early morning train from Rochester to NYC, then over to Edison NJ. Arrived in the afternoon, had a few hours getting the transaction squared away, then started my long ride home. Pulled it into my garage at midnight.

400 miles, so... not so far, really. But still an interesting story.

I've taken it to Canada numerous times, and once to Boston. That's about it.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-12-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Made two trips from Houston to Indianapolis last year, a little over a thousand miles each way. First trip alone, the second with my brother, and my sister's two boys. The first trip taught me that the car has a six-hour gas tank but I have a three-hour bladder.

Between 23.5 to 28 mpg, speeds ranged from 60 mph to 85 mph. Yay, Texas!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I have done sacramento Ca to pismo beach Ca a few times about 4-4 1/2 hr drive. 323 miles each way

And sacramento to Los Angeles twice. About 458 miles each way.
7 1/2 hrs

It's nice having the power when you want to pass on the fwy.
If you have ever driven the 5 fwy, It's chock full of A-holes that want to do 65 in the fast lane and they never move out of the way!

Other than that i enjoy road trips in the G.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
If you have ever driven the 5 fwy, It's chock full of A-holes that want to do 65 in the fast lane and they never move out of the way!
That's every freeway around Houston, D/FW metroplex, Austin, and San Antonio. I-45 between Houston and Dallas is the worst.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I think mine is the same as OP... DMV area to NYC. My car hasn't ever gone too far from home.

I never found the seats in the G to be comfortable at all. my only complaint with the interior really.... in my old Acura I could sit for hours and be fine.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I almost returned my G two weeks after I bought it because the seat was killing my thighs. Then I discovered the moving thigh bolster. I get fidgety after an hour-and-half, though.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Many road trips to Vegas, 1600 miles round trip. Also a few trips to Topeka Ks to check up on mom, that's also about a 1600 mile round trip. Love the G for these trips, only a couple bad moments~
~Almost got stuck in the Riviera underground parking on one of those wide speed humps as I was dropped pretty low at the time, scraped the hell out of my Y-pipe and underpan.

~Caught a fluke snowstorm in New Mexico on the way home from Vegas and basically had to keep steady momentum up a few long hills to keep my Summer tires from leaving us dead on the road.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:14 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Similar to Rochester, my longest voyage so far (only owned for 6 months) was the day I bought it. Flew out from St. Paul, MN to Chicago for a layover, then to Cleveland, Ohio. Got a late start from delayed flight, but got picked up from the seller (actually a guy that sold it on the for sale on here) and left Cleveland with an 11.5 hour trip ahead of me. Knowing I wouldn't make it back in a decent time, I took my time and stopped for a nice supper along with being even further delayed with the lake effect snow (got about 6 inches dumped during the drive) and that was the greatest test drive home that allowed me to test the all wheel drive, which handled beautifully. Got home to southern MN at 4 am on the dot. I pulled in the garage, turned off the car and got out to just admire my greatest test drive ever. I didn't care in the least that the car was full of salt and snow, I was giddy with excitement for how much fun is to be had in the future in making this car my own.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Got out of active duty out of D.C. and drove back home to Seattle. I have also done two trips from San Diego to Seattle.

DC to SEA: 2 1/2 days
SD to SEA: 16hrs

These trips were done in my 04 G35 Sedan 6MT
Old 06-12-2018, 08:06 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Like Rochester, When I bough my 09, I drove my 2011 Coupe from Boston to CT and drop it off at Greenwich INFINITI, then took a Uber to New Country Lexus in CT to pick up my 09 then drove back to Boston. All is all was 12 hour day and about 500 miles :/.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Hm good amount of folks ended up flying out of town to pickup their cars. G's are common enough, guess it was for a particular color combo or spec?

My all-time longest trip was Long Island to Clearwater, FL for a summer internship. About 1,200 miles each way, did it straight through by sharing the wheel with my pops. Drove it in my old Altima SER though...
Old 06-12-2018, 05:56 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I, unfortunately, still don't have a G, but I have done some crazy long trips.

One Saturday I left my house in Southwest PA in a Grand Cherokee and picked my buddy up at a Greyhound station in Wheeling, WV. We left there and headed south for Lexington, KY where we picked up a tow dolly. We drove further south to Richmond, KY to pick his car up at a shop because it was going under. After getting up we headed back toward my place in southwest PA.

That one day trip was about 760 miles. The next day though we headed out to eastern PA to drop his car off at a friends shop. I left him there and headed back to my place adding another 615 miles to my *** on Sunday for a grand total of 1375 miles in two days. It was actually closer to 1500 miles once you add in a few side trips for food, etc.

I did another 800+ mile (round trip) road trip in my Stealth once when I had to act as a courier to deliver something for work once. Left at 3:00 am, picked my cousin up to act as a co pilot (mainly to keep me awake), headed for Charlotte, made it to the customer at 9:00 am, turned around and headed home. Got pulled over twice (got searched on one of the stops), dropped my cousin off, and still made it home by 3:00 pm.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:48 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Yellowstone road trip last year:

Chicago to Yellowstone in Wyoming (stopped by Mt. Rushmore): ~1500 miles in 28 hrs.
Yellowstone to Denver (took a detour via Beartooth Hwy): 800-900 miles in 12hrs.
Denver to Chicago: 1010 miles in 15 hrs.

Did this all over 7 days. This car just eats up the miles in comfort. I threw it into my track settings and carved the mountain and canyon roads when I wanted. If I didn't have to work, I would just wander endlessly around the western mountain ranges in this car. This is how good a GT car this is.

The best thing about all this is how reliable the car is for this kind of duty. Long range trips are a non-event. It performs like a trip to the grocery store. All I did was change the oil before and after the trip. It's less maintenance than my track day prep.

Then again, I've done so many Chicago-LA road trips in different cars (G35, Evo VIII, Explorer, Durango) that it's normal to me.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 AM
Cross country X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My longest two I've ever done were from the a little town in the lower Hudson Valley to Portland Or, and I've done Jacksonville Fl to Reno and Portland both in my 12x sedan. It has tackled mud slopes, what looked to be a small ski hill, 60 mile dirt and or gravel roads and National Forest roads on numerous occasions and across the Rockies and Sierra Nevada's in winter snows, and all on just good all season tires. Still boggles my mind people my new Sentra's and Mazda 3's for "sporty driving experiences" I bought my G, which still had two years of bumper to bumper, and added the Elite Program till 110k miles for the same money. Which would you rather drive? On a related note, I do like that all that a lot of these new cars and SUV's coming out now look faster then they are with all the BS vents and absurd lines. I figure another 3-4 years of gimmickry in body work and people will really begin to forget how quick our cars are and we sedan owners can truly begin to fly under the radar. I love having my G on rural Washington, Oregon and Nevada highways in the middle of nowhere, the perfect place to drop it into manual, cut loose and $%^%^^&^ drive my car in a safe and reasonable manor in accordance with local traffic laws.... .

Quick Reply: Spin-Off: Your longest road trip (G sedan)