G37 Sedan

ZSpeed or TBW Aluminum under tray on your sedan?

Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
ZSpeed or TBW Aluminum under tray on your sedan?

I had a ZSpeed under tray on my '13 Sedan for the last 3 years and it has finally bit the dust. It looks like TBW is the only other brand out there and it seems to have more venting, but I'm not sure about the 2pc. design or if there is as much clearance as the ZSpeed for the zerk fittings on my Hotchkiss sway bars.

The only other reason I would consider the TBW is that the 2 back bolts on the ZSpeed have the aluminum folded over them so if you do hit something it bends back over the bolts and makes it damn tough to bend back and remove when you are sweating your azz off on your back on hot asphalt at a track day covered in coolant (or so I have heard ).

TBW

ZSpeed
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
That TBW tray has been on my radar for a while, and while I'm pretty solid about getting it, I'm eager to read about your particular experience.

So... subbed.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

After looking closely at these pictures (especially the angle of the rear mounts) it seems like the ZSpeed has a lot more clearance which is what I will need as my old ZSpeed just barely cleared the zerk fittings. Unless someone can tell me otherwise about the TBW
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
) it seems like the ZSpeed has a lot more clearance
How did you come to that rationalization? I do not see that in those pics and to me they look identical in design. Without having them side by side to actually measure, however you may be the only one who has the chance of trying out both?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I had a ZSpeed under tray on my '13 Sedan for the last 3 years and it has finally bit the dust. It looks like TBW is the only other brand out there and it seems to have more venting, but I'm not sure about the 2pc. design or if there is as much clearance as the ZSpeed for the zerk fittings on my Hotchkiss sway bars.

The only other reason I would consider the TBW is that the 2 back bolts on the ZSpeed have the aluminum folded over them so if you do hit something it bends back over the bolts and makes it damn tough to bend back and remove when you are sweating your azz off on your back on hot asphalt at a track day covered in coolant (or so I have heard ).

TBW

ZSpeed

Hey there so you're looking into Toll Booth *****? Great! As a long time user of this tray and many mishaps with the New York City roads I can offer a bit of insight if you care to sit down and listen a while.

The story starts for our hero about a year ago, after going staggered and slammed on my 2012 sedan, I realized that the standard Nissan(not infiniti) plastic shroud protecting my OEM sways and Nissan(not infiniti) oil filter did not do a good job at all, it actually fell apart from scraping 1 whole month in after being slammed and staggered. So a buddy of mine said to try tbw. I took a shot and it was very easy to install, and very straight forward to the packaging. A word of advice, make sure you order the right one, whether awd or rwd. Also, order the bolt replacements as well, do not reuse the ones you have.

On the way to journey out into the world of modified cars and cars that are too low, I personally only ran into two problems due to my own fault. Problem number one the TBW tray has a groove or curve in the front. This is to clear hotch, stillen, or any other sways while still protecting the oil filter, but, being so low I ended up damaging it and bending it out place where it pops out of hatch placement. Meaning, I hit a dip and the angled front hit the road and popped out of place.

Second problem that occured, after being so low, I also managed to scrape or even sheer a majority of the bolts holding it together. It has never fallen off on its own accord, but, it will be a major !@#!@# to get it off the car. Again both problems are my own fault and in no way a design flaw.

Due to personal experience I have not used the Z1 only Tbw, mine actually finally gave up 3 days ago, and I'm ordering yet another one. It has saved me countless times on dips, bumps, roads being rebuilt, raised manholes, and and those stupidly high speed bumps. My hotchs do not have a single scrap or bend or chip on them, my filters have never suffered. Overall giving a biased opinion I give it a 4/5 stars IMO. Why 4? because its almost 200$ now, before I snagged it on sale for 130$ I believe.

Hope this somehow helps. Enjoy your journey friend!
The following 4 users liked this post by c1utchh:
770choice_37x (06-01-2018), Daddy Fat Sacs (06-01-2018), Rollo (06-02-2018), The Pope (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Subscribed.....

........ (if the OP doesn't mind me asking) ...... if someone could also elaborate on the opening (for oil & filter changes) on these ...... are they bigger that the one on the plastic factory shield? If so, can you post the size of the opening and if you feel that you have enough room to do the service?

Just asking for more details so to speak. Hope the OP doesn't mine.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
OEM plastic cover does not have an opening for oil changes
Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
OEM plastic cover does not have an opening for oil changes
Some do, some don't, and I'm not sure anyone has found a pattern to explain it.

Weird, but true.
The following users liked this post:
The Pope (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
How did you come to that rationalization? I do not see that in those pics and to me they look identical in design. Without having them side by side to actually measure, however you may be the only one who has the chance of trying out both?
I didn't notice it at first either, but if you look really close at the length of the fold in the aluminum near the back for 1 bolt each on the ends (side near the oil opening) you will notice the TBW only has about 1/4-1/2" of vertical material while the ZSpeed has well over an inch.

Originally Posted by c1utchh
Due to personal experience I have not used the Z1 only Tbw, mine actually finally gave up 3 days ago, and I'm ordering yet another one. It has saved me countless times on dips, bumps, roads being rebuilt, raised manholes, and and those stupidly high speed bumps. My hotchs do not have a single scrap or bend or chip on them, my filters have never suffered. Overall giving a biased opinion I give it a 4/5 stars IMO. Why 4? because its almost 200$ now, before I snagged it on sale for 130$ I believe.

Hope this somehow helps. Enjoy your journey friend!
Thanks for the review. It sounds like you have the Hotchkis sway bars. Do you have zerk fittings sticking out the bottom of the sway bar bushings and does the TBW under tray clear them? Thanks!

Originally Posted by The Pope
Subscribed.....

........ (if the OP doesn't mind me asking) ...... if someone could also elaborate on the opening (for oil & filter changes) on these ...... are they bigger that the one on the plastic factory shield? If so, can you post the size of the opening and if you feel that you have enough room to do the service?

Just asking for more details so to speak. Hope the OP doesn't mine.
No problem. The ZSpeed has plenty of room in the opening to drain oil and swap the filter. I use a filter about 2-3 times larger than normal due to my oil cooler and I have never had an issue. It looks like the TBW is very similar, but I have yet to see one installed in person.
The following users liked this post:
The Pope (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Back with visuals. The First picture and the red highlights indicate where the tray hatch holds itself and where the tray itself rests. The Blue circle indicates my first hit or scrape to my Hotchkis (1 week old, plus 2 weeks worth of rain).

The second picture highlighted in yellow is all of the bent and deformed aluminium on the tray itself after a year+, if you guys notice there is a heavy inward bend on the left side making it seem that the hotchs don't clear, then on the bottom the tray door is severely bent out of place where it will not be aligned properly to protect the hotchs. Hope this clears things up for you guys, anymore questions or concerns, let me know.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by c1utchh
That looks awful. Do your mounts for the Hotchkis sway bar bushings have zerk fittings and does the under tray clear them?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:45 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Got rid of my TBW shield because it did not have enough clearance for my hotchkis sway bar bracket. Went with ZSpeed for that reason. I've bent back that same lip for the back 2 bolts countless times. I just use a pry bar to get the socket aligned and sort things out later.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlashGuy:
4DRZ (06-01-2018), The Pope (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Got rid of my TBW shield because it did not have enough clearance for my hotchkis sway bar bracket. Went with ZSpeed for that reason. I've bent back that same lip for the back 2 bolts countless times. I just use a pry bar to get the socket aligned and sort things out later.
Thanks man! Looks like another ZSpeed for me just so it fits.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Is that because of the Zerk fittings on the Hotchkis brackets?
Old 06-01-2018, 11:20 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Is that because of the Zerk fittings on the Hotchkis brackets?
Exactly that. Plus, i didn't like the two piece design.
The following 3 users liked this post by FlashGuy:
abrecos (09-29-2019), Rochester (06-02-2018), The Pope (06-02-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZSpeed or TBW Aluminum under tray on your sedan?