G37 Sedan

Any logical reason to buy '08 G35 over newer altimas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Willy Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any logical reason to buy '08 G35 over newer altimas?

Just yesterday someone was selling a '08 G35 sedan with 70K miles. Besides being in excellent condition, it's a single-owner car and has religiously taken it to an authorized Infiniti dealer for maintenance. His last maintenance was January. He says they also changed the dashboard two years ago.

Common sense tells me I shouldn't buy this 10-yr old car; instead I should buy a newer Nissan Altima. So is there any logical reason I should buy it?

I'm always thinking (maybe incorrectly) that an older higher-end car in excellent condition is more or less the same as a newer lower-end car.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by ***** Jones
Just yesterday someone was selling a '08 G35 sedan with 70K miles. Besides being in excellent condition, it's a single-owner car and has religiously taken it to an authorized Infiniti dealer for maintenance. His last maintenance was January. He says they also changed the dashboard two years ago.

Common sense tells me I shouldn't buy this 10-yr old car; instead I should buy a newer Nissan Altima. So is there any logical reason I should buy it?

I'm always thinking (maybe incorrectly) that an older higher-end car in excellent condition is more or less the same as a newer lower-end car.

Any help is appreciated.
There are lots of reasons to buy a newer car over an old one and vice versa. These cars being similar aren't one of them. Other than the general external size similarities they are competently different. Most of the compromises on the G will be sacrifices to practicality to the benefit of the driving experience. Respectfully, chances are that if you can't tell the difference you probably don't care about the differences enough to go for the older car which will inevitably be subject to greater maintenance costs, if only by virtue of the fact that it will need replacements of wear and tear parts and its maintenance history may be questionable. More than likely you will benefit more from the practical benefits of the newer Altima (i.e. more interior room, greater fuel economy, lower maintenance costs)

its probably safe to say that between the two, if the g35 is not significantly cheaper than the Altima you're probably better off with the Altima if its new enough that its under warranty/much lower mileage..anyways welcome to the site and good luck with the purchase decision
Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
UM I would buy the G35 in heart beat over the Altima, Granted I have looked at the Altima in a few years but a CVT transmission IMO suxs, Wife's Lexus has it and I can't stand the constant same feeling and NO option to manual shift the car, Just my .02
Old 02-08-2018, 02:51 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
It depends what you want. The alitima is a better car in terms of comfort (maybe), features, tech, etc. But the driving experience is not anywhere close to comparable. Altima is a boring drive.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Rwd>fwd
Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The main reason I'd but the G over the Altima is REAR wheel drive. Plus it's more luxurious. Also, the G will hold it's value down the road...so if you plan on keeping it a while it'll be worth more later. I just sold my 14 year old G (with 141k miles) for $3300 (could have sold it for more if I hadn't been in a hurry). I would think that most 14 year old Altimas are likely not worth that much. But I could be totally wrong.

BTW...I just bought a 7 year old G37s with low miles and it feels better than a brand spanking new Altima, which is usually the car I get when I go out of town on business.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Rwd>fwd
Any day of the week!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Willy Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I know nothing about cars and I dont need RWD, but Like most Infiniti buyers, Im interested in the infiniti because its an infiniti.

For the cost of this particular '08 G35 I can buy a '11-'12 altima. In my mind Im thinking that a well-maintained 08 G35 is more or less the same as a 2012 altima. But my mind is sometimes wrong, so thats why I ask.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Ultimately they are both Nissans. You can't go wrong. Drive both, pick the one you have the most fun in. Also, no one NEEDS RWD, they WANT RWD. ;-)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
08 G35 > 11-12 Altima

If you live where it snows, you'll probably want snow tires.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I bought an 08 G35 with 118,000 miles. Single owner car and was religiously dealership maintained. I even got a warranty on it.

I was hesitant at first, but have many friends in the Z/G community that assured me these motors were bulletproof. As a petrol-head, I also don't think I could feel comfortable knowing I paid real human money for an Altima when there are countless other options that are more fun to drive. Life is too short to drive boring cars.

The G in my opinion is one of the great all-arounders. Before I test drove the G, I was looking at S4s, E92 M3s, and C63s. While I could have afforded them and the fun factor was there, I personally couldn't deal with German repair costs and the nightmares associated with all three (timing chains, rod bearings, head bolts).

Most uneducated car buyers today see German performance cars selling for 1/5 of what MSRP was and assume they're getting the deal of the century, but almost never factor in the running costs. If you don't believe me, go look at what an E60 M5 goes for on Autotrader 90% of my past cars were German and I wanted out of the maintenance cycle.

I needed 4 doors and nothing exists in JDM-land outside of Evos and STIs that can scratch both the performance and practical itch. I think the G fits within the niche quite nicely.

Last edited by Wellnotexactly; 02-08-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ yup, my dad just bought an E60 545i for $4500 CAD as a fun/project car. he's retired and bored, has a reliable DD. time will tell if he got a 'deal' or not, but it was $86k new in 2005. at least in his case he got an immaculate, lower mileage example of a 545i with complete service history from an OCD previous owner (who was a colleague of mine). i mean, this guy was doing repairs years ahead of when they needed to be done - or not needed at all. also, he paid 1/2 of what is the going rate for similar cars in my area, so he's got a bit of breathing room there...
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Vq35hr!!!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ yup, my dad just bought an E60 545i for $4500 CAD as a fun/project car. he's retired and bored, has a reliable DD. time will tell if he got a 'deal' or not, but it was $86k new in 2005. at least in his case he got an immaculate, lower mileage example of a 545i with complete service history from an OCD previous owner (who was a colleague of mine). i mean, this guy was doing repairs years ahead of when they needed to be done - or not needed at all. also, he paid 1/2 of what is the going rate for similar cars in my area, so he's got a bit of breathing room there...
I hope it works out well! Having the luxury of a DD makes all the difference with these matters. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on an E60 M5, but the horror stories attributed to the S85 were enough to extinguish that flame for me for a pretty long time
Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Pops instilled in me a rule of thumb to not buy a used car that I couldn't reasonably afford buying new. Tough to abide by sometimes, but think its pretty solid.

If that holds true for the G, maybe the Altima's the better choice.

Quick Reply: Any logical reason to buy '08 G35 over newer altimas?