Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Huaniitoo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch suggestions

So this whole time my clutch was starting to slip. And I thought it was my engine on limp mode. Any suggestions on what kind of clutch I should get. No mods yet but plan on intakes exhaust and tune later on. It's a daily
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
https://www.z1motorsports.com/clutch...it-p-7392.html
Old 01-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
In currently in the same boat. There are a lot of threads out there regarding clutch replacement. Just my $.02 is this. I have bolt on, i/e for now and I'm basically going to stay there. The kind of clutch you get is dependent on what you want to eventually do with the car and of course your budget. A lot of people here get a full kit, clutch, flywheel, clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder, along with stainless steel clutch lines, with everything costing around 2k, labor included. The slave cylinder is a must. I already replaced mine about 20k miles ago, I should have changed the clutch there and then but I'll be dropping my trans myself so labor is a non issue for me, just a pita a little. Slave cylinders fail in these cars, period. The fsm suggests replacing the master along with the slave, I changed mine since my slave blew out and probably sent shrapnel throughout the system which would eventually kill the master and slave again. If your slave is OK, I cant seem to understand why you need to replace the master but a new CSC is a must if you're in there. As far as clutches go, I'm going to the budget route. After doing some research, Luk makes a lot of oem clutches, including several for German makes. Partsgeek has a Luk clutch for our G's for about 175$ shipped. Can't beat that for basically an oem replacement. As far as the flywheel, im going to get the stock one resurfaced and I'm putting it back on as my mods won't require anything drastic. Most research on here will give you a non-budget minded answer as you'd expect from an enthusiasts' site but I thought I'd give this side of the deal. HTH.

​​​​​​​Side note, I replaced my CSC with an oem one before I knew how bad these things are. I then got the RJM clutch pedal which not only vastly improved the clutch feel and consequently the overall driving experience, but it's also said to help save the CSC as it does not extend the CSC as far as the stock clutch pedal does, therefore not wearing it out as quickly.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by inf4m0us
Whatever you do, do not get the Lightweight Flywheel. You will regret it. It makes a lot of noise that gets really bad overtime. I wish someone told me this before I replaced everything. My G sounds like **** with the chatter from the flywheel
Did you get the Southbend lightweight flywheel? And did you get the "quiet disk"?
When I need to get the clutch replaced, I may go with this one (and was thinking about going Southbend lightweight plus quiet disk):
ZSpeed Performance Nissan Infinti OEM & Performance Parts

Very similar thread here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...l-upgrade.html
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I'd get an OEM clutch and the Z1 CSC delete for a stock'ish car.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket clutches on a daily driver
Old 01-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'd get an OEM clutch and the Z1 CSC delete for a stock'ish car.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket clutches on a daily driver
Why not? Harder to operate, just don't like the way it engages, or...?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Noise, engagement, and pedal pressure.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Noise, engagement, and pedal pressure.
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Mbsk01
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Entcee
Did you get the Southbend lightweight flywheel? And did you get the "quiet disk"?
When I need to get the clutch replaced, I may go with this one (and was thinking about going Southbend lightweight plus quiet disk):
ZSpeed Performance Nissan Infinti OEM & Performance Parts

Very similar thread here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...l-upgrade.html
That is pretty much what I got. Zero complaints. I would recommend spending the additional for the CMAK kit.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
apparently theres a HD version of the stock slave for about $300+ anyone tried it?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Have not given this much thought nor have I done the slightest research yet. I have heard good things about the JWT combo as well as Z1's. I personally ran Exedy many many many moons ago in my GS-T and absolutely loved it! I know a few local guys here who run Exedy in their boosted 370's and love them.

Currently just have too much going on that places this mod wayyyy on the back burner. But in for more feedback and suggestions

Last edited by Daddy Fat Sacs; 02-02-2018 at 07:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (02-16-2018)